The iMod.
May 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 10
The iMod provides only line out. Depending on which generation of iMod you get (4/5/5.5G) you will need either a mini-mini connector cable or a special LOD (line out cable) with a capacitor inside it. You will then need to run the line out into a portable amplifier of some kind, otherwise you will have no volume control and not much power. I'm not going to recommend any particular amps, but there are plenty if you look around.

Broadly, running an iMod is not a cheap endeavour.

May 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:

Broadly, running an iMod is not a cheap endeavour.

With the introduction of the Solo, I have to ask if the iMod has been superceded. As good as the sound undoubtedly is, you are left with a hunk of (increasingly ancient) silicon and plastic - with the Solo, you can just replace your old iDevice with a new one as required.

Ironically (or not) one of the key people involved in the development of the iMod was Vinnie Rossi, the creator of the iMod.

May 2, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Ironically (or not) one of the key people involved in the development of the iMod was Vinnie Rossi, the creator of the iMod.

I think that much is obvious.
tongue.gif
Perhaps you meant that he help develop the CLAS?

And I would disagree, to a certain extent. Though the CLAS almost certainly outclasses the iMod in terms of sound, the fact is that using the Solo portably requires an iDevice, CLAS and amp, all of which can come to a fairly large sandwich with the Solo's somewhat bulky dimensions. Some people won't care, but for others the iMod offers far superior portability and nearly as good sound, and only needs to be paired with an amp.

Oh, and it's ugly. Yeah, I said that.

May 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 10
I love my Solo. However I think that the iMod remains relevant. iMod + a small high quality amp creates an uber portable audiophile system with that lovely warm sound signature and plenty of crisp detail in the soundstage.

With Rockbox, it is also a pleasure to use.

My Solo is a better source. It is a material improvement. The iMod is still sweet. And small.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 10
I like my iMod, but I was only using it in my car with my iPod cable kit from the head unit. If anyone want's to buy it to use with headphones, you would need to get an adaptor cable with built in capacitors, then ideally plug that into a headphone amp, then use your headphones with that. The sound is much improved over a standard iPod. See the Red Wine Audio or ALO websites for details.

The upgrade iMods with a 120GB hard drive and new battery like mine cost over $600, but I will sell mine for $500 with free shipping.
write to bippie999@comcast.net.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 10
This is not a for sale thread. Go to the Sources For Sale forum and start a thread there.

Also $500 is too much for your used iMod with no cable - a comment that might be considered inappropriate if you had posted in the correct forum.  :wink:

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 10
You do not need to pay anywhere near that amount, now this only works with 5g and 5.5g, remove the components in the line out audio path, fit 100 ohm high quality resistors in the original tantalum capacitor locations as per wolfson recommendations. Simples.   

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 10
All iMods are used. They are based on used 4G or 5G models then they are modified to sound better. When you buy one from Red Wine Audio who does the mods, it doesn't come with a cable, you have to buy one from ALO. I have seen used ones on this site for over $600 and that's what they are selling for at Red Wine or ALO. Mine was recently modified/upgraded and is as good as new. I have also seen many things offered for sale on a normal forum, but you are right, I did start a new thread on the "for sale" forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back