The iMod Replacement: Build your own Portable DAC for optical capable DAPs & PCDP
Jan 14, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, the D10 works the same as well because you will still be sending digital out instead of analogue. The only difference is, the amp section is integrated together and this makes room for a very slim profile. I personally prefer non integrated solution at the expense of size. IMO, a dedicated DAC or amp should have upper hand in most situation.

The good news is that the D10 amp can be bypassed so you can use your own. That feature will keep a lot of the amp purists happy.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 35
I would probably start building the DAP from something like:

gumstix.com - way small computing

It runs linux and has USB host (experimental), so should be easy to port a player software and minimal configuration. Add 2" screen, HD/Memory card and plug in your favorite usb DAC and AMP, there we go.

Ok, probably not that easy, but possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Also possible to get some nano-itx mobo and build from there, little bigger, but could build the whole thing inside a shoulderbag with external controls embedded on it or even remote
happy_face1.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i should be getting a iriver ihp 120 soon, so when the ibasso D10 comes out, I'll compare it directly to my Cowon D2 w/ the amp through headphone-out
biggrin.gif

You will need to do some hunting on eBay. For the last one month, I have seen a few popped up and they are quite hot actually. Some H140 were even sold as high as $250.

The keywords for searching is "iRiver iHP" or "iRiver H120" or iRiver H140". Look for international search as well.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

You will need to do some hunting on eBay. For the last one month, I have seen a few popped up and they are quite hot actually. Some H140 were even sold as high as $250.

The keywords for searching is "iRiver iHP" or "iRiver H120" or iRiver H140". Look for international search as well.

yeah there have been a few lately. can the HD in the H1210 be replaced with a high capacity HD like ipod?? is there enough onboard cache memory to handle a larger drive. I would assume I would have to rockbox it. but then I would do that anyway

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are several hard drive upgrade options and you don't need rockbox unless you're going to go the flash memory route.

Or you want to play a lossless format, or any format other than mp3/wma. Or you'd like to have more than 9999 files on it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah there have been a few lately. can the HD in the H1210 be replaced with a high capacity HD like ipod?? is there enough onboard cache memory to handle a larger drive. I would assume I would have to rockbox it. but then I would do that anyway

Yes. There's a few HDD options. The stock H120 can accept up to 40GB Toshiba single platter with Micro ATA interface (same like iPod Photo). And the H140 have thicker body to accept up to 60GB Toshiba dual platter Micro ATA.

To beyond that, the highest so far that I have seen is the IDE-ZIF adapter usage allowing 120GB Dual Platter and Jamato8 has successfully done this. Any ZIF drive compatible with iPod Video 5.5G will work - but not the ones used by iPod 6G. I myself want to try wrestle in a 120GB used by iPod 6G and this may or may not work.

Of course the CF mod works as well.

IMO, Rockbox is a must. Rockbox runs much better on the iRiver than it did on any other platforms. The battery life is superb and it is very-very stable. On top of that, the FLAC codec is very efficient on the H120/H140

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 35
i should add that "speed" concerns with the CF mod are a non-issue unless you spend a lot of time changing which files you keep on the h120.

The cheapest 32gb cf cards are slow to write to, but only in relative terms. They're still fast enough for live recording. They are also extremely fast to read from - so the player is far more responsive with a 'slow' cheap CF card than with a harddrive.

it just takes substantially longer to load 32 gigs of music than it does with a harddrive. But how often do you do that?

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #27 of 35
EFN please help me. I am ready with built and it work fantastic. sound is phenomenal !!!!

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut look my Box... like Titanic..
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

in germany I cant find smaller.. did you know some in ebay.. something small, like yours..

best, ito

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 35
WOW! That looked like a Giant!

If you want a slim case like mine, get it here:
1455J1602
* This is the plastic cover plates version. Easier to work since it looked like you don't have a drill

The all metal version like mine is here
1455J1601
* You need a good drill & bits to work them

Another thing, I noticed your battery cells are blue in color, are they Sony cells? The ones I am using now is all green and they can last over 12 hours continously. I have another one which is blue like yours as well but it can barely last 8 hours.

Lastly, how do you find the DAC, compared against your MicroDAC before? I am very keen to know.

I am back with OPA2134PA because they offer better synergy with ER-4S.

Good Luck buddy.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

WOW! That looked like a Giant!

If you want a slim case like mine, get it here:
1455J1602
* This is the plastic cover plates version. Easier to work since it looked like you don't have a drill

The all metal version like mine is here
1455J1601
* You need a good drill & bits to work them

Another thing, I noticed your battery cells are blue in color, are they Sony cells? The ones I am using now is all green and they can last over 12 hours continously. I have another one which is blue like yours as well but it can barely last 8 hours.

Lastly, how do you find the DAC, compared against your MicroDAC before? I am very keen to know.

I am back with OPA2134PA because they offer better synergy with ER-4S.

Good Luck buddy.

thanks EFN!

no, I have battery, that from ebay, I opened box and built it together with dac. I think its not sony..

and microDac was also good.. with usb, coaxian input.. but I think this one have little more power in sound.. and bass is stronger, faster .. I have not micro dac anymore.. But now I am realy very happy with this OPA2134PA Dac!!!

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by itobito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks EFN!

no, I have battery, that from ebay, I opened box and built it together with dac. I think its not sony..

and microDac was also good.. with usb, coaxian input.. but I think this one have little more power in sound.. and bass is stronger, faster .. I have not micro dac anymore.. But now I am realy very happy with this OPA2134PA Dac!!!

Oh Ok then, observe the battery drain, you should get no less than 12 hours after a few recharge. Do a full drain than recharge for at least 3 times to optimize the battery.

Yes this DAC is very powerful. The Preamp support (OPA2134PA) is quite meaty. On my amp I only need 2-4 on the volume wheel to get full sound for my 96 Ohm ER-4S which is quite amazing. Partly because I think this DAC was originally designed for Hi-Fi speaker setup and not meant to be portable LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back