The iGod
Nov 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a 160gb classic is now down to $250, so building a top of the line Audiophile player to sell for under 500 bucks, that offered noticeably higher SQ, would have a market. Heck, just squeeze in a filo amp and better headphones and your 4/5 the way there. Half the people here has already spent twice as much on their portables.

It would be difficult as a DIY but the current manufactures are missing a market.

do you have any clue what we're talking about here?? since it would be a totally new project. the DAP would really need to be built from the ground up with this end in mind. To get the sort of large improvement you are talking about would need a quantum leap in components. The next step up in quality for all these miniature parts is substantially more expensive and usually LARGER. Apple can only make these DAPs at this quality/price (which is actually quite good, only the HP out in lacking in some players) is only possible because they are selling squillions of them. I think you misunderstand what audiophile quality means. squeezing a filo in there would only detract from the audiophile qualities of the player. its only OK for its purpose (adding power and bass boost for those who cant justify the purchase of a real amp or just want something 'fun') but definitely not what you would call neutral or transparent; the most highly prized audiophile goals.

All this for a VERY small part of the DAP market, even if it can be produced to sell at $500, thats still twice the price that people will want to spend, because they can already get an ipod (which actually sounds pretty good, its only us crazy peeps that fin=d it wanting) for <$250 and then you can mod it to get IMO really great sounding audio. even if half the people here did have portables worth twice that (highly doubtful that is the case) that would still be a miniscule proportion of the DAP market and hardly enough to pay for R&D, let alone running costs, parts, marketing. etc. etc. and I think that unless they included a pair of SE530, triple.fi's (insert you favorite IEM here) the 'audiophiles' would still leave the HP's at home and connect a real high quality IEM in fact even if they did include something as high quality as these offering a high percentage of people would still sell them or give themn away because they prefer a different Sound signature. IMO any real audiophile quality dap (if thats even possible) would/should just leave the HP out altogether to keep the cost down, since we all buy our own to suit our own tastes anyway.

As podtweaker says; the best thing would be for another company to take the modding ball and really run with it. Providing customizable options for most well used daps. that way half the work is done for you. usually the DAC incorporated into the players is actually pretty good quality with the economies of scale we are talking about. The problem usually lies in the implementation of the output/amp stage. this section is comparatively easy to modify as there isn't really anything proprietary or complicated going on. just a wire with gain/or not, so all that needs doing usually is REMOVING/BYPASSING not adding some hardware so as to be able to access a really clean signal to amplify. the limited size of DAPs prohibits the use of really high quality Capacitors so to get a decent increase in SQ you really need to do it outside the box. so an all in one solution is not only optimistic but impossible with todays tech

but sure we can dream
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #18 of 43
^Excellent - what is that? Is it a Christian version of the Muslin MP3 player I saw for sale in London recently, with a spoken version of the Koran pre-loaded?!

Anyway, qusp is pretty much bang-on, I think. Since RWA already produce the iMod, do they think they have gone as far as they can, or might they also offer a higher-end version with, say, the internal amp bypassed altogether for those who use an external amp? What other modifications could reasonably be implemented with the given space (removing the amp altogether would surely help)?

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 43
Want mp3 player without built in crap amp?

How bout a ultraportable laptop/netbook/tablet, with 500+gb loseless files, unlimited format support, feeding audio via usb to portable usb amp/dac?

Imho, it's possible for manufacturer to produce players with only lineout as option but is there enough market for it? People buy iPod for it ease of use. Even ibud satisfy them while making them sterile haha

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

How bout a ultraportable laptop/netbook/tablet, with 500+gb loseless files, unlimited format support, feeding audio via usb to portable usb amp/dac?

Audio should be streamed through PCMCIA/CardBus audio card
smily_headphones1.gif

But such a device would weight as 10 ipods and work from a battery for a two hours... or cost as 2*pacemakers

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #21 of 43
How about a Hardisk which has interface for connecting your own DAC Chip and Amp?

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #22 of 43
Any reason why it's better to pass audio stream through pcmcia/card bus instead of directly usb to usb dac/amp? With pcmcia, u need another adapter to convert it to usb unless using pcmcia type soundcard, which are of subpar quality.

I never try it before and this actually itch me to get D3 and try with my eeePC > <

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Any reason why it's better to pass audio stream through pcmcia/card bus instead of directly usb to usb dac/amp?

Hm, why you've chosen usb at all?
I imagine pcmcia/cardbus soundcard with S/PDIF output and amp with S/PDIF in... make sound travel through USB looks like some perversion for me.

And i don't quite understand, what are you going to pass through usb? If you want to have support for all codecs, you should do all the decoding on laptop and output uncompressed sound to usb... so you will need an USB soundcard anyway, and USB soundcards generally do not provide such a quality that pcmcia/cardbus cards do; also, if you will use usb soundcard, it will load your CPU and you may experience interrupts in sound when CPU is doing something else...

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And i don't quite understand, what are you going to pass through usb? If you want to have support for all codecs, you should do all the decoding on laptop and output uncompressed sound to usb... so you will need an USB soundcard anyway, and USB soundcards generally do not provide such a quality that pcmcia/cardbus cards do; also, if you will use usb soundcard, it will load your CPU and you may experience interrupts in sound when CPU is doing something else...

Isn't that what a usb dac/amp do?... It send digital signal directly to external dac unit.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 43
Audiophile DAP? Do a search on the Neuros N3. Had everyone so excited a couple of years back. Poof! Never happened. I just don't think there's a good business case for manufacturers. So, for the foreseeable future, it's going to be technology like iMods that will have to suffice. Sad, but true...

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Isn't that what a usb dac/amp do?... It send digital signal directly to external dac unit

What do you exactly mean by "digital sound"?
First of all, you have some compressed digital audio file - mp3/aac/flac/etc. You should decompress it - as i understand, you're going to do it with some media player on your laptop (e.g. with winamp) - so you should have a sound card to which audio player will produce the sound. It could be either integrated laptop audio (well it is better not to say about these) or pcmcia/cardbus/usb additional sound card. USB ones will produce a load on your CPU and they are generally not so good.
And only then you can produce sound on your headphones/speakers - either directly, using soundcard internal amplifier; either through an additional external amplifier (it will receive the sound through analog/spdif input).
I just cannot understand what do you mean... to where and how are you going to stream the sound from laptop? What will be connected by usb? What kind of data will be streamed by usb?

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

but the current manufactures are missing a market

They're not missing a market, they're following law of market.
If some manufacturer will produce an "iGod", all audiophiles will go and buy it... and will never buy anything else. So, maybe, such a manufacturer will receive some increase in income at once... but will never receive even a $1 from the audiophiles niche...

This is just unprofitable to do an ultimate device on these days... until it will work only for a year and then will broke, so the owner will go and buy another one.
Maybe this economic crisis will change the things...

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #28 of 43
Please check what is a usb dac/amp. Do search on Predator, Pico, etc. Those are basically a DAC, a soundcard. In case u didnt know...

Regarding the load on cpu, why bother. Most laptop nowadays fast enough to process audio stream. Dont let marketing fool you.

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Those are basically a DAC, a soundcard.

I've said about a usb soundcards in the beginning...
Quote:

Regarding the load on cpu, why bother. Most laptop nowadays fast enough to process audio stream.

The problem is that even the fastest CPU will do some other job, e.g. audio decoding in your winamp; and in such a moments the audio could freeze...

Why you're going to use usb soundcard, not pcmcia/cardbus?

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

The problem is that even the fastest CPU will do some other job, e.g. audio decoding in your winamp; and in such a moments the audio could freeze...

Freeze? Clipping? May i know what cpu are u using? I have a Xeon quadcore 3.6ghz and a 600mhz celeron eeePC (downcloaked from 900mhz, using onboard soundcard). Both no freezing problem or encounter difficulties playing audio files. In case u didnt know, the software (winamp, foobar, etc) doesnt decode on the fly, it use buffering which meant process the required data earlier and store in on RAM. Running winamp on celeron doesnt even consume 3% of cpu processing power.

Quote:

Why you're going to use usb soundcard, not pcmcia/cardbus?

Because i'm not using any soundcard or stuff like that. I'm suggesting usage of audiophile grade usb dac/amp which can be used together with normal dap. Moreover, those usb soundcard doesnt has enough amp to drive full can. Regarding those pcmcia card type, those are normally crap too.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back