The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Jan 30, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #586 of 1,071
Can Elite drive Subtonic Storm properly?
No, (I don't have the storm) but it takes in as much power as it can get from portable devices demanding high current output given its speaker-like low impedence and very low sensitivity.

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #588 of 1,071
DC Elite owners club dinner get together 😉

1000097992.jpg

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #590 of 1,071
Hi guys, I am playing around with the new iBasso DC Elite dongle and this piece of gear offers tremendous value/ $ and what I'd consider sound quality beyond mid-fi DAP's at a price below mid-fi DAP pricing. This is straight up Hi-Fi $1000.00 + quality in a more accessible form factor.

As you may know, it's got most of the important sound quality related trickle-down tech from the DX320MAX, minus several components which naturally drive-down costing - pretty sweet! (Smaller chassis, less complex circuit board w/o analog gain selection, no display screen, no battery, no card reader, no wifi card, no bluetooth chip, less moving parts, etc etc). Yet, you maintain the same DAC chip (x1 instead of x4 chips on the 320MAX), fully analog potentiometer (which is less finicky than 320MAX's) & a lot of volume gain for a dongle.

Most things you should care about when it comes to sound quality, especially as an IEM user, is offered in a small and portable package which can be used with your mobile devices or computer. It's a huge quality of life upgrade over being tethered to my DAP in many instances. This won't have the same beefy amp stage as DX320MAX, which will be more beneficial to headphones or challenging to drive IEM's.

Sound quality - It's very much reminiscent of DX320MAX & DX320, which I'm happy to say is as advertised. Performance on the whole is slightly under both DAP's, but tonally more in-line with DX320MAX. What do you get in terms of sound profile?

- Neutrality
- Sharp but immaculately clean transients therefore incredible dynamics and contrast
- Great Slam
- Precise imaging
- Good proportional staging (though, this is where it differs from DX320MAX, stage is more intimate on the dongle, but the centre image focus/ crossfeed is better, and bass is a bit more upfront and slammy, though less fleshed out in its sustain (it's tight and fast).

Now I want to recall a communication from @Paul - iBasso from the iBasso thread which provides very valuable information. I am an iPhone user therefore I don't natively have access to the companion app where there are additional fine-tuning adjustments to tinker with. Thankfully, DC Elite has onboard flash memory it seems, so if you sync up to an Android device at any point, you may fine-tune your optimal settings and then carry on with those settings on your Apple devices. It's not ideal, but thankfully this workaround exists!

1706201546835.png

These are the setting in the app.

Filter (Sharp roll off "D1" / Slow roll off "D2") - On Sharp Roll Off by default.
Input Pad (0dB / -1dB / -2dB) - Allows adjusting for noise floor or more controlled volume calibration based on your gear.
DSD Filter (Low / High)
PCM DSD Volume Matching ( On / Off) - I tend to turn off volume leveling features as generally there is a sense of dynamic compression if you level it.
SPIDF Out (ON / OFF) - If you want to use this as a transport.

For me, I've changed from the default D1 filter in favor of the more organic and ever-slightly more euphonic D2 filter. D1 is super technical and transparent, but for some of my already very technical iem's, the D2 helps flesh out the harmonics and lingering overtones just enough to make things more musical & contour notes a bit more.

Interestingly, D1 is very reminiscent of DX320MAX voicing (neutral/ reference with incredible speed) whereas the D2 filter is more reminiscent of DX320(X) which has a bit more midbass/ lower mids presence & less pronounced upper treble/ air.

Anyway, I've gone through my share of dongles over the pandemic, because it's inexpensive and convenient (RU6, Paw S1/ S2, Questyle M15 & L&P W2) & I found the W2 to be the most technically proficient of the bunch by a significant margin, albeit a bit lean sounding at times. iBasso DC Elite just comes in and smokes the W2 in itself by quite a margin - it's not really a fair comparison. I guess the DC Elite is a nice headphone amp in the form of a dongle :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Pretty impressive stuff, hard to believe how much of a quality source you can have in such a form factor and at a reasonable price. Just 3 years ago, I would have claimed this absolutely impossible to achieve.

Bonus - I spiced it up by changing its knob, to render homage to the 320MAX's aesthetic a bit
IMG_4693.jpeg

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg
Really appreciate your impressions; you've pretty much convinced me to get the Elite. But where did you get that knob? I'm gonna need one of thise too!

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #591 of 1,071
Really appreciate your impressions; you've pretty much convinced me to get the Elite. But where did you get that knob? I'm gonna need one of thise too!
You can get them on Amazon. Silver, Black or Gold. I like the way its comes out further but also like the stock knob as well.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #592 of 1,071
Hey, Ive got a quick question about the D16. Are the batteries readily available and user replaceable?
The more I dig, the more interested I get.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #593 of 1,071
Hey, Ive got a quick question about the D16. Are the batteries readily available and user replaceable?
The more I dig, the more interested I get.
I have opened it. Super easy to open and the batteries are held in place with velcro so that is easy as well. The batteries you would have to get from iBasso. I needed a new battery for my DX100, which is pretty old now and they still have fresh batteries for it! A lot of places you would be out of luck on something the age of the DX100.

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #594 of 1,071
My Elite is coming... :)

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #596 of 1,071
Like always depends a lot on iems matching, music preferences and taste OFC.
For example i mainly prefer DC06 Pro and RU6 also to M15, but consider i enjoyed M12 more than M15 also.
Aroma AIR is very different also, maybe the most neutral source i own, so comparisons makes sense with the same iem and music

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #597 of 1,071
Over two weeks with the DC Elite and still amazed with its sound quality.
Forward midrange (but not too much) creates a very emotional vocals. Comparing to the AK sp1k still the soundstage isnt as expansive but its quite close, not lacking in width.
Great dynamics and a very punchy bass.
It doesnt have the same "magical" accuracy as the sp1k, seems like some notes miss the punch but who cares. Still overwhelming joy to listen to.
The stage is GRAND, around my head and this typical for IBasso emotional midrange is very present.
The AK's midrange is less forward, creating a more 3D stage but this dongle hits waaaay above its price range. Amazing sound quality, very very happy with this purchase.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #598 of 1,071
Got a new custom case for the Elite from Taobao. The vendor is Jutem and they make custom cases for various dongles and DAPs. Many leather and color options available as long as they have them in stock :)

IMG_0685.jpeg
IMG_0686.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg
IMG_0689.jpegIMG_0690.jpegIMG_0691.jpegIMG_0692.jpeg

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #599 of 1,071
So I stuck the piece of leather I ripped off the side with magnets and am quite satisfied with how it is now. Also added some foam in between cause of how much the magnets poked out. Constantly used my fingers to press on the leather where the magnets are so it sticks better.

IMG_0847.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #600 of 1,071
You can get them on Amazon. Silver, Black or Gold. I like the way its comes out further but also like the stock knob as well.
Can you share a link for the purchase. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back