The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #543 of 1,141
Just received Colorfly CDA-M2 today, after listening A/B for 2 hours with DC04 Pro, I have some reviews:
  • Build quality: the Colorfly easily beats iBasso, it has top-notch build quality, even better than W2 and S2 that I owned before, and it is built like a tank with a solid and premium feel. Especially the 4.4mm socket is smooth like butter, really good user experience when plugging and unplugging. Aesthetically, I think it is more attractive than the rendered image.
  • Sound quality: these 2 dongles are tuned in 2 different ways, the iBasso towards the neutral, and the Colorfly goes into fun, and energetic. Colorfly has a much punchier in the low end, I can feel the thump with my A12t, and the high is airier with a little quantity added to the low treble, and low mids are pushed slightly back. Consequently, I feel the stage is deeper than the iBasso.
  • Hiss: since my main earphone is A12t, which is relatively sensitive, so I really care about this. Luckily, both dongles are perfectly black even with the high gain in Colorfly.
  • Feature: DC04 pro requires the iBasso application (which only exists on Android) to configure the dongle, and it cannot store the configuration itself. Assume that you only use your iBasso with an Android phone, the features it offers are almost the same as the Colorfly such as filter, L/R balance, gain, and volume. In contrast, Colorfly has a screen like LP W2, and you can access the configuration without any applications, it also offers some extra features like UAC mode, SPDIF, screen rotation, and a feature named H-DEPOP that is not recommended to turn on (!?).
So is the Colorfly worth it? I think it depends, on your favorite tuning, and use-case scenarios.
d.jpg

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #545 of 1,141
I would like one day the USB DAC AMPs to be as powerful and refined as a high end music player. I think it will be possible in the next 10 years
Guess it depends on the use case.
I was playing with the idea selling my TOTL DAP after listening with DC Elite to IEMs just because of the incredible performance for the price

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #546 of 1,141
I was playing with the idea selling my TOTL DAP after listening with DC Elite to IEMs just because of the incredible performance for the price
The opposite for me!
Loved the DC Elite but I have no use case for it since I don’t mind carrying either my DX320Max or N30LE and to me the sound is steps above the Elite. Great for a dongle, but not TOTL dap level.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #548 of 1,141
I was also considering doing so but the Elite just doesnt sound as meaty and grand as my sp1k+pa10. The sound is just huge and stationary like from this combo to get rid of it.
But i will keep the Elite due to its impeccable sound performance. Its too close to a mid-higher tier dap in a tiny form of a lighter, amazing.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #549 of 1,141
Probably final iteration of the magnets:

The arcs follow the same angle as MagSafe. This secures the dongle better and it doesn’t move side to aide anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #550 of 1,141
Probably final iteration of the magnets:

The arcs follow the same angle as MagSafe. This secures the dongle better and it doesn’t move side to aide anymore.
Am not yet sure what is causing it but I am encountering sporadic distortion with my IPhone and DC Elite in my trouser pocket.
One theory is induction from Magsafe

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #551 of 1,141
Am not yet sure what is causing it but I am encountering sporadic distortion with my IPhone and DC Elite in my trouser pocket.
Static? This time of year it seems more prevalent. Does it do it if you put it in a jacket pocket?

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #552 of 1,141
Static? This time of year it seems more prevalent. Does it do it if you put it in a jacket pocket?
Jeans front pockets.
There's static noise starting like radio noise and getting such bad that the playback is stopping but not always, every now and then and never if Dongle and iPhone are laying side by side

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #553 of 1,141

I did not notice anything during my 3 week trip overseas. The whole time it always attached via magnet. Could be due to the I extra layers between the DC Elite and my phone preventing that from happening?

Jeans front pockets.
There's static noise starting like radio noise and getting such bad that the playback is stopping but not always, every now and then and never if Dongle and iPhone are laying side by side

Could be a loose USB-C connection perhaps?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #554 of 1,141
Could be a loose USB-C connection perhaps?
Possible, have thought about it but it didn't happen with some Android phone using the same cable during some one hour test

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #555 of 1,141
Possible, have thought about it but it didn't happen with some Android phone using the same cable during some one hour test
Finally noticed the distortion while using my VE8. Was listening with the EXT during these last few weeks which isn't so sensitive. It happens when I get a notification from an app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back