The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #151 of 1,071
Do you want Android? You have a couple options off the top of my hesd:

Small Android daps:
Sony NW-A306
Hiby Digital M300

Now there’s non-Android with streaming capabilities, you AirPlay and stream them with an iPhone, not sure how it works with Android phones:

Non-Android with streaming:
Hiby R2 II
Hiby R3 II
I am more into non-android fast starting solutions like Lotoo. Currently I really like my ibasso dc04 pro and dcelite should be only better. So I was curious to build a light small player with powerfull dac. I will look into hiby r3 II for sure.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #152 of 1,071
Do any dongles with hardware volume control also offer OS software volume control simultaneously on iPhones? I thought iOS deliberately cedes control to the dongle when the dongle has hardware volume control.
I think this depends on the dongle’s implementation. I have seen two different implementations thus far in various dongles with hardware volume control. It’s either you get to control the volume on your phone in addition to the hardware volume control or just solely the hardware volume control.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #155 of 1,071
Does anyone know when the DC Elite will be available for purchase in the US? I can’t seem to find it anywhere other than retailers who are shipping from Asia…
I asked Bloom Audio and they’re waiting to hear back from iBasso. So, it’s anyone’s guess at this time. I’m hoping Q1 2024.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #157 of 1,071
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #159 of 1,071
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #161 of 1,071
@dumpsterfire As @ayang02 has already mentioned, there are several modes for hardware volume control on iOS with various DACs:
  • volume buttons on iPhone disabled, volume only adjustable via DAC hardware buttons (e.g. iBasso DC04 Pro)
  • volume buttons on iPhone enabled and working independently from DAC hardware buttons (e.g. FiiO KA5 and Shanling UA4)
    [UA4 is also able to switch to remote control phone volume via settings]
  • volume buttons on iPhone enabled, but only mute output (step 0 = mute, every other step = 100% volume), volume only adjustable via DAC hardware buttons (e.g. iBasso DC-Elite)
  • volume buttons on iPhone enabled, but they do nothing (not even mute the output on 0%) eg. Lotoo PAW S2
Other options:
  • no hardware volume/buttons
  • fake buttons acting as "phone remote control" only
I think manufacturers prefer to disable the volume buttons because it bypasses the sound processing of the OS so you have bit-perfect playback.

Volume management is the most important part of a DAC for me as a iPhone user. I use Apple Music or Qobuz which do not have software volume, so I have to deal with what the DAC gives me.

DACs with no buttons or "fake buttons" (only controlling the OS volume) are directly out for me. I can only guess that the manufacturers of such DACs do not know that iOS users only have 16 volume steps to use.

For the DC-Elite, I wish iBasso would change the volume management of the DC-Elite to option 2 (independent volume buttons on phone and DAC).
DC-Elite only has 24 Steps, so fine tuning would be perfect here. To me the extra button on DC-Elite did not change the volume enough - I could hardly hear any difference.

End of the story: DC-Elite was completely unusable for me with my main use-case. I mainly use IEMs and volume step 1 was already way too loud. Also volume steps could be finer for me.
I returned the DAC after a few days and will wait for a firmware update.
And yes, it was a hard decision to send back a device that sounds so good.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #162 of 1,071
The latest UAC app for DC Elite is now 1.6.8

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #163 of 1,071
Do any dongles with hardware volume control also offer OS software volume control simultaneously on iPhones? I thought iOS deliberately cedes control to the dongle when the dongle has hardware volume control.
I can confirm that the DC Elite can be controlled via iPhone's volume buttons & as well as the dongle itself so you have options here.

Volume changes visually but no audible difference. Ignore above.

I'm using an iPhone 14 Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #164 of 1,071
I can confirm that the DC Elite can be controlled via iPhone's volume buttons & as well as the dongle itself so you have options here.

I'm using an iPhone 14 Pro.
Yes volume control is "enabled" for DC-Elite, but the volume does not change when using the iPhone buttons. It only mutes the output when set to zero. All other steps are 100% volume output.
Or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #165 of 1,071
Yes volume control is "enabled" for DC-Elite, but the volume does not change when using the iPhone buttons. It only mutes the output when set to zero. All other steps are 100% volume output.
Or am I wrong?
Ahh yes you are right, my bad. No volume change at all only mutes when 0. I only pressed the buttons and saw that it changed lol.

Volume does change on Android however. Using a Sony 10 V.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back