The "I saw Metallica Live" thread
Nov 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
Nov 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 38
I saw them 5 times In The Netherlands and Germany. The first time just after Kill em All came out. It was 1984 at Aardschok festival (still have the T-Shirt). The show became larger in time but the quality decreased. Now Slayer is a different story. I even went to see them in Singapore!

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 38
Sorry to say, but Metallica hasn't played a live show since about 94 or so, if not earlier.

Although their current cover band/parody act does an ok job of pretending. Sometimes.

I must say though, the setlists are 1000x times better now than at any other time in the last 10 years.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to say, but Metallica hasn't played a live show since about 94 or so, if not earlier.

Although their current cover band/parody act does an ok job of pretending. Sometimes.

I must say though, the setlists are 1000x times better now than at any other time in the last 10 years.

Funny, I could have sworn I saw them live in '96 and again in '97. In '98 they did another tour (poor re-touring me). In '98 Jason got hit in the head by a bottle (hard to do when you're not live on stage). In '99 I saw them at Dynamo Open Air. They played a lot of gigs after that but I didn't see them on stage.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 38
Saw them back in 97 I believe at the Alamodome here in town.Corrosion of Conformity opened. Was awesome.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 38
I took my then 7 year old daughter to see the Reload tour at Giants Stadium. Jerry Cantrell opened for them. It is a happy memory.

The weekend before, we saw The Spice Girls at Madison Square Garden, and I was shockingly surprised at what a good show they put on.
Each of their musicians (real, not synth'd) got to come forward and do a solo. I was impressed.

I got my daughter a motorcycle leather and she has been into good music, ever since. None of this Z-100 crap. She's currently listening to bands like Brand New, Circa Survive and Radiohead at age 16.

I'm a good dad
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 38
To this day, I still regret not going to their show when they came to Manila back in '96. I was just in grade school (and in my bay area thrash phase: metallica, forbidden, death angel, etc) back then, and my parents wouldn't let me go, arrrrghhh!!!
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I could have sworn I saw them live in '96 and again in '97. In '98 they did another tour (poor re-touring me). In '98 Jason got hit in the head by a bottle (hard to do when you're not live on stage). In '99 I saw them at Dynamo Open Air. They played a lot of gigs after that but I didn't see them on stage.

He was being sarcastic bro.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 38
I saw them in Warsaw - Poland in I think 97 but I could be wrong. It was the first live show that I saw of music I liked for myself as opposed to going with my parents etc. Not into they're music anymore really at all but at the time I definitely loved the show.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 38
Saw them in 2001, I believe, with Slipknot, Slayer, Sepultura (with their new lead singer) and Sevendust. Metallica definitely played the best set, although I'll admit the 'Knot brought some pretty serious heat.

My neck hurt for a good 48 hours.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first time was last night here in St Louis.

I was there as well. I had previously seen Metallica at Lollapalooza, but that's it. I'm glad I had my ER20s as it was very loud. I like Down and The Sword, but I didn't think The Sword sounded all that great. Down was decent, though Phil was a bit annoying. Down was better at Pop's, and The Sword better at Creepy Crawl (both are much smaller venues).

On another note, I bought the early-access package that included the CD and a download of the show. Well, the download was only for the mp3s, though you could upgrade to FLAC for 4 bucks. I didn't figure the upgrade was worth it, but then I got the MP3s and their 128k! Pretty lame, and to think they want 10 bucks normally!

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 38
Saw them in 1996 as part of some festival, maybe lollapolooza, I forget.

The opening song was great, but the fact they got on stage 60 minutes late after 9 hours of other bands was annoying. That and every song after the opening one (Which was One), sucked. Wish I would've seen'm when they were still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back