The Hornet vs SR-71
Dec 22, 2006 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TVaudio

100+ Head-Fier
Been reading for a while about these amps but I am curious about the differences between the 2. What are your opinions and likes and dislikes.
I have a Go-Vibe 5 right now and use it with my SR-225's. I will not be using it as a portable. I just plug my Super.Fi 5 Pro's into my Zen MP for the bus ride to work, so the amp will just be used at home.
Thanks for your input.

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Read through this thread, there are a few good comparisons and opinions of the two amps.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks Dzjudz, I had read that and you are right, lots of good info.
I was just looking for some personal experiences with my combo. I am happy with my Go-Vibe, but you know, always looking for better.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Just got the Hornet and love it. I'm using it with Ety er4s and have noticed much more punch in the low and and a lot better soundstaging.

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks all. I'm starting to think the Hornet may be the next investment.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 9
This is not to knock the Hornet, as I have one myself and it is a fine portable amp. But if you are not going to use it as a portable, why not look for a true desktop amp? My impression is that a premimun is paid for the Hornet's portability.

I don't have one but the Heed CanAmp is getting a lot of good press and is about the same price as the Hornet (if you get the Hornet with the rechargable batteries) (approx Hornet-$370 vs. Heed approx $400, unless the introductory offer is still in effect). And at that price point you have a lot of options for other amps besides the Heed. There are also many choises for a tube desktop around that price, if you decide to want to try a different sound.

Just a thought if you truly don't need portability.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 9
That is a good point. But I am kinda limited in space where the amp will sit. Maybe I will have to take a closer look at stationary amps to see if they will fit the bill.
Thanks again.

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 9
I would think that a solid state amp, especially around $400, would be fairly compact. Recently I have been in the market for a desktop amp, but I have been researching tube amps, which are generally a bit bigger/less convient size due to the tubes.

You might want want to do a search for something like, "Best amp under $400" (or $300 etc) and get some leads on likely candidates and then call the dealer for dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back