The Home-Vibe arrived today
Apr 25, 2005 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gonz

100+ Head-Fier
I live in an apartment with my 3rd shift working landlord downstairs. Obviously my listening is terribly limited... when he's gone, my neighbors are trying to sleep, so i'm mostly confined to the car.

I just built a new PC and slapped in an Audigy 2, trememdous improvement in soundstage and clarity from the on-board c-media stuff i've been used to. Too bad i can't really enjoy it
rolleyes.gif

So i stumbled in here.
eggosmile.gif

After the cliff's notes crash course, i figured out a plan. Grabbed both the Senn HD485 and Koss Pro3AA to compare mainly, and see if i like closed vs. open better. As i suspected, i'm partial to closed. Both sets of phones do sound good tho, no complaints. (will i upgrade them? i dunno.)

Finally i decided to talk with Norm, and i ordered a Home-Vibe with Elpac. I'm absolutely not interested in portability, so the Home-Vibe seemed a good choice.

While waiting, i made myself a High End Audiophile Grade 3.5" M/M Interconnect (aka: mini to mini headphone cable), and got used to my headphones a bit. You guys also turned me onto Foobar, an excellent player.
smily_headphones1.gif

So today i got the Vibe (about 5 days sooner than i expected) and after opening, i could'nt believe how small it was! So anyways, cupped it in my hands to help it get to room temperature quicker... plugged it in, and i'm still listening, amazed, at how great this thing sounds!

It would be hard to want more out of a computer>phones setup. I'm really happy, and it was all done on a considerably small budget. None of this stuff is "burned in" yet either, so if it does get better with time, thats just bonus.

Norm was a pleasure to deal with, and i'd highly recommend his product after this experience. I asked him to set the gain at 5, which i feel was a good choice. He recommended the OPA2227 to me, but i also purchased the AD8066 op-amp extra, in case i wanted to compare, but at this point i doubt i will.
eggosmile.gif

All around an eye-opening experience... now to see what else i can find amps for LOL

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz
So today i got the Vibe (about 5 days sooner than i expected) and after opening, i could'nt believe how small it was! So anyways, cupped it in my hands to help it get to room temperature quicker... plugged it in, and i'm still listening, amazed, at how great this thing sounds!

The home-vibe does sound awesome. Very minimalist design (at least as far as op-amp based stuff goes), with as little between you and the music as possible.

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 9
I am assuming the Home Vibe is the AC powered relative of the portable Go Vibe. I was unaware that Norm was building anything other than the portable Go-Vibe, but in any case, apart from the AC power of the Home Vibe, how does this amp compare to the Go Vibe?

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aseltzer144
I am assuming the Home Vibe is the AC powered relative of the portable Go Vibe. I was unaware that Norm was building anything other than the portable Go-Vibe, but in any case, apart from the AC power of the Home Vibe, how does this amp compare to the Go Vibe?

I don't believe there is a difference in the circuitry...
I've got a Hammond enclosure, opposed to a plastic case. I've got no battery door, and a DC input. Aside from that, you'll have to ask Norm, but i'm pretty sure it's the same.

Now the Classic-Vibe, Norm told me the circuitry was a bit more complex. These are history i guess. The Home-Vibe, i'm told, is also on the way out.

Plugging this in, i was like
basshead.gif

Highly recommended product... ZERO hiss/noise at any levels, source on or off... the volume knob is high quality... the whole unit feels top notch actually... i can't find a thing to complain about!

Apr 25, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 9
It's been said he travels alot during the week, so be patient with the emails...
I had no problems communicating with him last weekend.

I see no reason why UK would pose a problem, i'm in the US, Norm is in Canada... international is international, just a matter of shipping price i guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back