The "hiss" sound in IEMs????
Apr 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just bought a dedicated amp for my headphones. When I plug my CX300II and EP630 in, I keep hearing the hiss sound in the phones even when there's nothing plug in the amp and the volume is turned to 0. The same thing happen when I plug the source in. Is it because the amp is overpowering the phones or it's just because block out all the noise and thus revealing the hiss that's always there?

I don't hear any hiss when I plug my full size cans (MDR-V6, PortaPro, & RP-HTX7) in.

Thanks in advance,
Newb.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 7
it is because the iems are efficient and sensitive, also the iems isolate noises such that you hear things like thumping sounds when you walk(unsure of term), this means that the hiss sounds you have from your source could be existent yet you are unaware of. Until you got your iems lol

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Ditch the amp.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm pretty surprised that those two earphones hiss out of an amp. What amp is this?

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Some Cmoy i bought from a guy named Neco on ebay. He got endorsed by some UK head-fiers. IMO the amp sounds good on full-size cans. The hiss sounds exist when I plug the IEMs straight to my computer too.
frown.gif

EDIT: actually I can hear some hiss sound on my V6 as I finished typing this post. So basically I wasted my money!!!
frown.gif
(((((

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 7
If you add some resistance to the line it will kill the hiss, or at least tame it.

I soldered a 40ohm resistor into a short cable to use with my SE530's, but there are variable resistors (aka level attenuators) such as this Amazon.com: Shure Level Attenuator Listening Level Controller: Electronics that will work fine. It will decrease the volume and affect the sound slightly but you should have no problem pushing through that resistance with an amp using IEM's.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion but I can't seem to find any attenuator in UK. Is the resistor meant to increase the impedance of the phones? So my overpowering theory is true???

PS: I don't have access to soldiering or any other equipment at the moment for at least another 2 months due to university. :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back