The highest genius of hi-fi salesman: "audio speak"
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Oh, you mean the Sumerians from the land of Sumer, not the Summerians, as in those of the Summer.

Didn't realize you were being sarcastic. A lot of people seem to think that because we've bombed that region into the stone age, that they've always lived in the stone age. I apologize for mistaking you for a complete ignoramus.    

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #62 of 78
Na, no need to apologize. I wus just messin' with the scuttlebutt. I have an odd sense of humor and am extremely childish for my age. (I want to be a pirate, or if not that a vampire.) Although I have to admit I don't know much about the Sumerians other than what I recall from 9th grade history class. And that was 30 years ago.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #64 of 78
Quote:
I propose the ratification of the following terms for non-pretentious audiophile use:

• Grado Thang: Frequency response peak 4-6 kHz accompanied with energy storage issues (ringing) followed by a smaller almost sympathetic peak around 9-11khz. The HD700 has that Grado-Thang going on.
  • Plankton: Low level sound information. Referring to the lowest volumes sounds which are sometimes masked when other sounds at high volume are being played at the same time. The HD800 is a great plankton extractor.
  • Double-Penetration: Ringing at a frequency (usually in the upper mids) followed by sympathetic resonance mode one octave above. I got double-penetrated by the Ultrasone.
  • Beyerish (Treble): Low level, but evident harmonic distortion of the higher orders. Typically little harmonic spikes in the upper midrange way up to 20kHz on a spectrum analyzer. Usually accompanied with peaks in the lower treble. Those MB Quart tweets have a Beyerish treble presentation.
  • ​Tesla-Thing: A peak in the middle treble centered around 10kHz with resonance node which develops around 8kHz. Wow, the classic DT880-600 doesn't have that Tesla-Thang.

I never really got Plankton.  It was like everyone was saying low level information, and then suddenly that became 11 characters too many, and we need Plankton.  I mean I guess it adds a helpful visual for people who might be especially confused.

I want to nominate a secondary meaning to Double-Penetration.  When a headphone comes out that's twice as much as it's predecessor.  Twice the price.  Twice as similar looking.  Twice the failure rate.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

What if I were to argue that "energy" was used to imply resonance or ringing instead of a higher amplitude which did not result in any energy storage issues.

Then you would be descending either further into Useless Babble Speak: the more specific the point you are trying to make, the greater the need for clarity. Translated out of Pretentious Audio Talk, your message to Mr/Miss/Ms?Madam/Mistress(?) AnalMort (surely a possessor of a Schiit amp?) becomes "There's an echo around 1000-4000Hz."

The midrange is a wide swath, why not be more precise in terms of language.

This is a minor reason why your terminology is bad: if you are going to be precise, mankind invented a tool called "numbers". (The major reason is that it tricks people into believing into hilarities such as headphones with demons in who can understand which sounds are fundamentals and which are harmonics, or stupifies them to the extent that they confuse  the two different meanings of harmony in sound even when an idiot proof example is given...)

In the context of speaking with my friends, they would understand me perfectly. 

My belief rather is that you do not understand each other but are swapping brain decay making ******** that makes you feel good. And I really don't care what you say in mails to your friends: you are the one who insisted that I comment. Good luck again with getting laid; I'm tempted to ask how your perceived connection between this subject and Audio Babble relates to your friend Analmort, but a gentleman does not pry...

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #66 of 78
Let's cut out all this talk about double penetration.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #68 of 78
uote:

What if I were to argue that "energy" was used to imply resonance or ringing instead of a higher amplitude which did not result in any energy storage issues.

Quote:
Then you would be descending either further into Useless Babble Speak: the more specific the point you are trying to make, the greater the need for clarity.  

On the energy storage thing, I was just being devil's advocate again. I suspect you would have much preferred something like this to communicate:

BTW, "ringing", "resonance", and "energy storage" are terms and concepts regularly employed by those who design transducers and those who evaluate them for suitability in building speaker systems. These are not BS terms invented by audio marketeers.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers_2.htm
http://www.audioheuristics.org/primers/linear_distortion.htm

Translated out of Pretentious Audio Talk, your message to Mr/Miss/Ms?Madam/Mistress(?) AnalMort (surely a possessor of a Schiit amp?) becomes "There's an echo around 1000-4000Hz."

An echo or reverberation is different from energy storage issues, resonance, or ringing. There no need to condemn the use of language just because you are ignorant of terminology actually used by recording engineers and speaker designers. Sorry the world doesn't revolve around your genius and insights of audiophoolery.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

On the energy storage thing, I was just being devil's advocate again. I suspect you would have much preferred something like this to communicate:

I'm quite happy with the clear and non-pretentious English version, but a measurement is even better.

BTW, "ringing", "resonance", and "energy storage" are terms and concepts regularly employed by those who design transducers and those who evaluate them for suitability in building speaker systems. These are not BS terms invented by audio marketeers.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers_2.htm
http://www.audioheuristics.org/primers/linear_distortion.htm

Using "those" in the loosest possible way so that it equates to "some guys on the Internet" yes. But wasn't really the word "ringing" I objected to but the awful totality of pretension and unnecessary obscurity.

Edited to add: "ringing" should really be reserved for sinusoidal decay - it's not a synonym for the effect your CSD shows! Again, if you speak as clearly as possible you will think clearly too!

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #70 of 78
So you would have been happier with "there's some sharp ringing in the upper midrange"? Fair enough. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:
I want to nominate a secondary meaning to Double-Penetration.  When a headphone comes out that's twice as much as it's predecessor.  Twice the price.  Twice as similar looking.  Twice the failure rate.

Hmmm, what headphone could that be... 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #72 of 78
Quote:
​Tesla-Thing: A peak in the middle treble centered around 10kHz with resonance node which develops around 8kHz. Wow, the classic DT880-600 doesn't have that Tesla-Thang.

Ok, I'm sorry, I simply MUST have a clarification: what's the difference between a "Tesla-Thing" and a "Tesla-Thang"?

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #73 of 78
Well I guess "Thing" could refer to the peak and associated ringing, and "Thang" could refer to the non-linear distortion characteristics (higher order HD). Different measurables probably related to the same phenomenon (<-- hopefully not a pretentious word)

Graphs provided below since language is too limited.

Thing

Thang (not the best example, but I don't have my own measurement handy, but you should get the idea. those spikes go on and on... A 4kHz tone would have exposed this better.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back