The High End of IEM, suitable with no amp and mp3's?
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Csi

Head-Fier
I own super.fi EB and thinking about an upgrade. I am thinking about going for the top end aka. UE-11 or anything on that level or higher. Obviously budget isn't a problem but I just have a few concerns.

1. SQ practicality.
I won't be listening to FLAC or 320 kbps mp3. About 95% of what I listen to will fall in the 160's-240's kbps songs. I know that the higher end headphones will bring out the flaws of the sources of music.

Q.So should I even bother going that high up if I will be listening from such files?

2. Source and portability
I currently use a Samsung p2 and with no amp. I don't really have a desire to have an amp due to the idea that it would severely cut on my portability. I don't even put the player in my pocket, i wear it around my arm.

So unless there are special arm bands that will hold a portable amp AND a player I probably will never go down that path. Also clearly source is a choke point for sound, I get that and even if I change sources in future, portability will always be more important to me then having a setup where I output out to a dac and then to an amp.

Q.So question here is, knowing my current source should I just stick to the mid tier levels like Shure 530's since I'll never reach the useful potential point of high end IEMs?

3. Gym use.
I know I have read about people here using their UE-11 at the gym with no problems. I don't care about microphonics, I already get a taste of that while I lift/run with my super.fi5 EB.

As for how robust cables are, I already had some issues with sound dropping out and having to replace another cable set for my EB's after it completely went dead(may be from sometimes accidentally jerking the cables while doing explosive movement or if it catches onto something while I move). So I prefer detachable/replaceable cables and ones that are near if not indestructible.

Q. Any high end IEMs known for being indestructible. I doubt there are any high end products designed for athletic use but who knows.

I'll pass on the Nike athletic line.

Last few notes.
-Isolation is very important but I figure at this level they all should be around the same. Plus it will largely depend on seal anyway.

-I remember reading somewhere how extended low noise environments is bad for your ears. I log say 50-60 hours a week wearing IEMs and sometimes 4-5 hours straight, are there any dangers with creating a vacuum for long periods of time?

-I listen to various rock(punk, post hardcore, alternative, metal) to hiphop/rap to electronica.

Ultimately, no pun intended, should I go UE-11, something else around that range or just stick to the shure 530 range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back