The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jan 18, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #841 of 1,324
The original W3 and the new W3s both has their gain setting controlled by the app. On the original W3, the volume range on low gain is too wide and the steps too few, so it often becomes an issue that at one volume the headphone sounds too soft, but on the next level it becomes too loud. To mediate the issue, I'll have to lower / cap the max volume via app and thus making each steps smaller. On the W3s however, I didn't face any volume adjustment issue as the gain and volume step are much better spaced-out.
Thanks for the clarification. Did they by any chance improve the mic? As on the original W3 i have its pretty bad. Catches the slightest strokes/touches on the body of the receiver, people cant hear me well even if i bring it close to the mouth. Did test it on a pc in a quiet room and sometimes it can sound good, but most of the time it doesnt. Noise cancellation seems too sensitive and probably activates due to just touching the receiver.Basically i gave up on it, and most of the time im using the phone earpiece.

Since you have experience with the whole bunch of these devices, compared to W3 how would you rate the mics from Shanling UP2 and BTR3K? Are they any good, just useable or a disaster as on the W3?

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #842 of 1,324
Didn't really spend much time testing any of the mics as I don't really use them much.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #844 of 1,324
Is it true W3 supports 24bit in USB Dac mode ?

W3 definitely doesn't support 24bit in USB DAC mode. W3s probably can support 24bit in USB DAC if Hiby can enable it over firmware - but last I checked, it is 16 bit only.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #847 of 1,324
What's the differences between the Hiby W3 and the W3S (Saber)? I assume the Saber is the newer model- is it better than the W3? They are pretty much the same price.

Here:

Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that W3 is in the process of upgrading to W3S (apparently 'S' stands for Sabre). No in the sense that the major difference between W3 and W3S is that the W3S will be using a new SoC (QCC5121) instead of the older CSR8675 found in W3 - however, we will still see the same DAC/amp chip (AKM4377) on W3S so it is unlikely we will see any major difference in SQ. QCC5121 is a more powerful SoC so we might see improvement in BT connection stability, or even new features like ANC and EQ (though it is worth knowing that Hiby didn't dedicate much effort to its BT adapters / app in the past so they might not bother bring new features at all, even though the new SoC might be capable of them). At this point the safer assumption is that this upgrade might be more of a response to Qualcomm phasing out CSR8675 as we also see FiiO has suddenly retired CSR8675 from its Q5s and replacing it with QCC5124 in its Q5s Type-C

Don't get all caught up by number. 32mW is more than enough most of the time.

I actually have the W3 Saber since early last month, it is a decent but minor improvement over the original W3. SQ remains largely the same (same DAC/amp chip after all) but now it has a better implemented gain and volume control.

The original W3 and the new W3s both has their gain setting controlled by the app. On the original W3, the volume range on low gain is too wide and the steps too few, so it often becomes an issue that at one volume the headphone sounds too soft, but on the next level it becomes too loud. To mediate the issue, I'll have to lower / cap the max volume via app and thus making each steps smaller. On the W3s however, I didn't face any volume adjustment issue as the gain and volume step are much better spaced-out.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #848 of 1,324
Didn't really spend much time testing any of the mics as I don't really use them much.
Have you considered or could you do mic tests? Doing like couple of samples, one in quiet environment like a room and one on the street to test noise cancelling. While we all get the devices for the sound quality, it still is pretty convenient to be able to use it for calls while connected to phone and listening to music on the move. Mic samples are pretty scarce, only one i could find on youtube was for the BTR3, which sounded decent.

What's the differences between the Hiby W3 and the W3S (Saber)? I assume the Saber is the newer model- is it better than the W3? They are pretty much the same price.
W3s has ppgraded bluetooth chip, which has the potential to enable eq over all sample rates(currently works at max 48kHz both on W3 and W3s, including LDAC and USB Dac), and potential to enable higher sample rate for USB Dac mode. Has to be done via firmware update by the manufacturer, for now it doesnt exist.

Edit: Probably even 10 band EQ

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #849 of 1,324
W3s has ppgraded bluetooth chip, which has the potential to enable eq over all sample rates(currently works at max 48kHz both on W3 and W3s, including LDAC and USB Dac), and potential to enable higher sample rate for USB Dac mode. Has to be done via firmware update by the manufacturer, for now it doesnt exist.

Is it worth getting over a BTR3K? Used they are the same price.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #850 of 1,324
Have you considered or could you do mic tests?

Don't have the time to do any proper test at the moment.

There's good potential with all the QCC51xx chipsets. But unfortunately as far as I know, Qualcomm SDK is kinda rudimentary and therefore required device maker to develop their own firmware for any extra feature. Personally, I don't see Hiby spending any real time doing that as they have been pretty lazy updating their BT adapter firmware in the past.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #852 of 1,324

Depends what features you can live without. On BTR3K you can disable charging when connected as USB Dac which is good for battery longevity(hiby cant). You have 10 band EQ(hiby 5band), on hiby EQ works when in USB Dac mode and over LDAC up to 48kHz sample rate(on BTR3K it doesnt at all in those 2 modes). On BTR3K app you can disable certain codecs(hiby cant), good thing if what youre connected to doesnt have the capability for user to choose. You get balanced output on the BTR3K if thats important to you. Hiby W3 has a disaster of a mic(cant say about the S), and if i go by the mic sample i found from BTR3 i would assume that it shouldnt be worse on the BTR3K and is decent.

I got my Hiby W3 for $42 , and at that price id say its a bargain, but if comparing MSRP $59(hiby) vs $69(Fiio) i would have to think hard and would probably go for Fiio. Theres a seller coupon on aliexpress for the new Hiby atm, which brings it to $51 for me atm. So its up to you :)

Edit: BTW BTR3K can be had for about $58 with aliexpress coupons when there is a sale. Chinese new year is close.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #853 of 1,324
Don't have the time to do any proper test at the moment.

There's good potential with all the QCC51xx chipsets. But unfortunately as far as I know, Qualcomm SDK is kinda rudimentary and therefore required device maker to develop their own firmware for any extra feature. Personally, I don't see Hiby spending any real time doing that as they have been pretty lazy updating their BT adapter firmware in the past.

Too bad, hopefully youll have some time in the future.

Sounds right, about the same impression here about hiby and their firmware upgrades.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #854 of 1,324
Depends what features you can live without. On BTR3K you can disable charging when connected as USB Dac which is good for battery longevity(hiby cant). You have 10 band EQ(hiby 5band), on hiby EQ works when in USB Dac mode and over LDAC up to 48kHz sample rate(on BTR3K it doesnt at all in those 2 modes). On BTR3K app you can disable certain codecs(hiby cant), good thing if what youre connected to doesnt have the capability for user to choose. You get balanced output on the BTR3K if thats important to you. Hiby W3 has a disaster of a mic(cant say about the S), and if i go by the mic sample i found from BTR3 i would assume that it shouldnt be worse on the BTR3K and is decent.

I got my Hiby W3 for $42 , and at that price id say its a bargain, but if comparing MSRP $59(hiby) vs $69(Fiio) i would have to think hard and would probably go for Fiio. Theres a seller coupon on aliexpress for the new Hiby atm, which brings it to $51 for me atm. So its up to you :)

Edit: BTW BTR3K can be had for about $58 with aliexpress coupons when there is a sale. Chinese new year is close.

I just bought W3 Saber from Ali for $39 .Mostly because I didn't want to wait for next BTR3K sale .Hope I won't regret it...
Plus for saved $ I can buy some AptxHD transceiver from Ali for my PC. Didn't know you can't turn off charging W3 while in DAC mode. Kinda bummer tbh -seems like obvious thing to include

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #855 of 1,324
Didn't know you can't turn off charging W3 while in DAC mode. Kinda bummer tbh -seems like obvious thing to include
Not possible either with the $500 Cayin N3Pro DAP. It’s irritating but from what I gather it’s not that simple and has to be planned around when laying out the power circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back