The Heed CanAmp has arrived!
Dec 30, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 86
Jamen tillykke Hassan, det blev da også på tide
rolleyes.gif

I suggest that you first connect it directly to your cd-player, then you get a descent DAC.
I use a Philips Aurilium, its not good, but ok and very cheap. I use my Laptop a lot as a source, therefore I need an USB DAC. You can get it around 300 kr.
wink.gif

I got mine in Merlin and I think they someplaces still got some left.

If you have desktop I suggest getting a real soundcard!!!

Regards Jesper

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #17 of 86
If I use my computer as transport to a DAC, I just use one of these DIYs that has an external converter.....mine isn't quite this one, but same idea. Think it competes pretty well with CD players that up to $200 as transports.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TO-SPDIF-WIT...QQcmdZViewItem

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 86
Thanks Jesper and Jacob.

I use my desktop as source for now and i'm going to buy ESI Juli@ like mentioned above. And i think my DAC is ok enough just need my soundcard to be changed for now, then ill get a Harmon/Kardon cdplayer after a couple of months. Tbh i don't know anything with a CD Player (yes its very shocking :p) So i cant borrow from anyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 86
You Lucky,Lucky man. I gave a deposit a couple weeks back. I'll be waiting for a bit.
I'll start with an Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000. It's not in use. I'll make a space next to the chair. I have an older Sony 777. A great transport. And experiment with some 1 bit dac's. The Ack Dack, Audio Mirror and the Nixon. Good idea.
I'll make some space and get ready.
blink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #20 of 86
Well after a couple of tests i did today im begining to think that my CanAmp might be damaged (if thats even possible when it works).

I tried to connect my CanAmp to my brother PC who has a Creative X-FI Music to see if it was my onboard soundcard that was the hinder.

I first plugged in my k701 in to the analog mini jack plug i heard a couple of songs, then i plugged my CanAmp directly to it to hear the difference with the same songs, but i the difference was only slighty better for some reason.
It actualy sounded better with my DAC connected via SPDIF Optical to my onboard soundcard and then my CanAmp plugged into the DAC, but then again it only sounded very slightly better than my Beresford TC7510 MKII dac.

Im very confused since everyone here has praised the amp and loved it, so im wondering is my CanAmp defect in some way or should i still go out and buy ESI Juli@ (don't know if it matters much when im using SPDIF Optical)

Can it be my K701 cable? It is slightly loose, i have to move it abit to get sound from both cans, but i dont think thats a big problem concerning the sound

I know it can't be my ears there is something wrong with, ive only recently had my ears testet, and they are fine
smily_headphones1.gif

So should i contact alpar from Heed to ask him if it can be a defect unit i got or does anyone have any other suggestions. (I havent tried a CDP yet, but if it wont improve much from my brothers X-Fi and my beresford, how much can it improve from a CD player?)

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by hassan14a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can it be my K701 cable? It is slightly loose, i have to move it abit to get sound from both cans, but i dont think thats a big problem concerning the sound

That doesn't sound good - if you need to tweak the cable to get sound in both channels - you definitely have faulty cable.

Try any other headphones instead of yours 701 and see how you go.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #23 of 86
Well, absolutely it is certainly possible the amp is defective amongst other reasons thru shipping for instance. I would request a replacement due to stating: "your dissatisfaction with its preformance believing it is defective". and see if that is the fix for you. Give the distribuitor or Alpar Heed a call stating your dissatisfaction, would be my advice to you sir.

Good luck, and do keep us all informed please.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #24 of 86
Hello again.

I got abit frustrated about the thought that i actualy had to get it exchanged maybe. So i thought to my self, there must be something im missing, something im not spotting.

So i listened to a remix of one of mariah carey's tracks, witch has a little bit of everything in it.

I switched to my dac i could hear the bass and the clarity and also soundstage faded abit, although it wasent very much, it was still something noticeble if you payed attention.

So i switched back and forward from the amp to the dac several times using same tracks just to make sure it was not just me going mad, and thank god it wasent.

So now im thinking i have to try it out with a CD Player before getting it exchanged, since i can hear the little difference when my source is my computer i think it will be more noticeble running through a CDP, if not that isent the case i might have to force my self to get it exchanged to a new one.

Also this was my first Amp, so i might have expected the impossible :p, but how can i expect anything else when im not experienced with amps and everyone praised this amp to the top, guess thats what head-fi does to ya.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 86
Hi,
This is very good that you tested with great recorded material that you know well; You said:

So i listened to a remix of one of mariah carey's tracks, witch has a little bit of everything in it.

I switched to my dac i could hear the bass and the clarity and also soundstage faded abit, although it wasent very much, it was still something noticeble if you payed attention.

HF: Meaning with the Heed you did detect a slight increase in "bass" "Clarity" and wider "soundstage" when you concentrated to test and listen closely... THESE are exactly the minute diferences which people pay BIG bucks to realize into the thousands of dollars. I can understand not knowing how little these improvements between one amp and another, or sources choosen can be, but that is the ever persuant chase we are after to realize. Some improvement in these qualities spread over ALL of our material played at each listening session, IS the very big deal of better sonics presentation. Granted it may be slim and slight improvements, and newer folks expectations of terms of "Night and Day" improvements in sonics is just not realistic beyond a previous referance point of already "good" sonics perhaps. Then it comes down to weather or not its sonic improvements are of value to you personally for your level of enjoyment perhaps.

So i switched back and forward from the amp to the dac several times using same tracks just to make sure it was not just me going mad, and thank god it wasent.

HF: You maybe saner than those of us who seek even slight improvements, lol, driving ourselves mad doing so and into debt, while listening to the equepment to detect these slim improvements which are real albeit ever slight. lol

I do still agree, you should like to try a CDP direct to the heed just for comparission. Here in the u.S. we can buy and return to brick and motor stores such items as a good CDP for full refund. And this is what I would suggest if you were here.

Good luck with your continued tests and burn in. BTW, you are running this over night to burn it in for 5 days correct? I would strongly suggest doing so as has been suggested before in your thread here by others.

Good luck~

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 86
I've been taking the digital sound out of a USB port and thus avoid the dreaded soundcard. I go to a Pro Fi box to change from a USB wire to RCA jacks. After that it's onto a Theta DAC and into the big rig. You may want to try something similar.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 86
I'm sorry to hear about your misfurtune hassan14a, I know its quite the bummer for you without doubt. I shant speculate as to what your problem is as I am "shopping" myself and with this amp being one of the candidates to find a home on my desk, I shall watch this thread with keen interest.
best of luck to get it all sorted to your liking
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by hassan14a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello again.

I got abit frustrated about the thought that i actualy had to get it exchanged maybe. So i thought to my self, there must be something im missing, something im not spotting.

So now im thinking i have to try it out with a CD Player before getting it exchanged, since i can hear the little difference when my source is my computer i think it will be more noticeble running through a CDP, if not that isent the case i might have to force my self to get it exchanged to a new one.

Also this was my first Amp, so i might have expected the impossible :p, but how can i expect anything else when im not experienced with amps and everyone praised this amp to the top, guess thats what head-fi does to ya.

are you sure the interconnect between your dac and the heed is up to par? it may be the bottleneck which may be hindering the full potential of the heed...and also, you may want to burn it in 24 hrs. for at least a week before doing another listening test...just my 2 cents.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you may want to burn it in 24 hrs. for at least a week before doing another listening test...just my 2 cents.

My 2 cents. Don't rely on burnin' solid state amp. There is no moving part in that amp, no tubes to "re-juvenate cathode", absolutely nothing that will improve the SQ whether the amp is right out of box or has been on for 1000 hours.

The electrons in semiconductor's silicone substrate will re-combine with their holes from the day 0 and will do that untill substrate breaks, with the same speed over and over.

Take it or leave it from guy who spent 5+ years designing innards of opamps, transistors and other integrated circuits for major semiconductor manufacturer.

Contrary to other claims (I've read it today in HP forum) that military, medical etc life threatening equipment/componenents are burned-in - yes they are, but this is burn-in performed in so caled ESS (environmental-screening-stress) chambers where equipment/components are subjected to repeated extreme U]thermal[/U] stress cycle, going from -x deg (frozen) to +xx deg (boiling) cycle over and over. The mil-spec opamp is not better sounding than its commercial counterpart, it only means that its parameters are guaranteed by manufacturer to withstand more rigid environmental stress. Usually the IC case is hardened (ceramic), legs are double plated, whatever, but inside it is the same thing... Difference? It is screened in burn-in ESS chamber (that typicaly also contains vibration fixture ("shaker") and for navy spec equipment also session or two in the water/salt spray immersion tank.

No doubt that you can burn-in the headphones, but "burning in" solid state amp waste of your time. I think.

My CanAmp + DT990 sounds to me exactly the same as it sounded two weeks ago.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back