The heat problem of the 480GB iPod
Oct 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 12
HI Alex,

Don't try to load the music all at once, try by syncing chunks of 10gb. It is normal that the mSATA card gets hot while you transfer the data to it.

Also welcome to Head-FI!

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Alex! Glad to see you joined Head-fi!

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Alex! Glad to see you joined Head-fi!

I had upgraded my ipod video to 480GB msata SSD with an adapter. It works well. But when sync, the adapter will become very heat. I'm afraid this will damage the SSD and battery.
Anyone know how to resolve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Dear gawd a 1TB SSD drive, lord I hope it's stable

from what I knew about SSD back in 2013, they get greater storage through an increase in cellular denisity, and the denser the cellular structure the less stability you had, or the less Read/Write Cycles you had.

I REALLY hope that you guys aren't changeing your music very often 

still maybe construct a denser Metal Chassis to put on the back or something, to act as a heat spreader 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 12
  I had upgraded my ipod video to 480GB msata SSD with an adapter. It works well. But when sync, the adapter will become very heat. I'm afraid this will damage the SSD and battery.
Anyone know how to resolve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

I used a BP4e 512GB mSATA, and the Tarkan adapter, and there was almost no discernible heat at all.

It got barely warm to the touch, but I kept the writes to about 30GB each with a few minutes rest in between each one.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 12

Dear gawd a 1TB SSD drive, lord I hope it's stable

from what I knew about SSD back in 2013, they get greater storage through an increase in cellular denisity, and the denser the cellular structure the less stability you had, or the less Read/Write Cycles you had.

I REALLY hope that you guys aren't changeing your music very often 

still maybe construct a denser Metal Chassis to put on the back or something, to act as a heat spreader 

I'm trying to look for a way to resolve the heat problem. But haven't got any Suitable method. After install the heat spreader on the back, the ipod will no longer suitable for carry.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 12

I used a BP4e 512GB mSATA, and the Tarkan adapter, and there was almost no discernible heat at all.

It got barely warm to the touch, but I kept the writes to about 30GB each with a few minutes rest in between each one.

I think the Tarkan adapter works better than the one I used, which is a green adapter from ebay.
I only sync about 5GB each time with 5 mins rest now.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 12

I think the Tarkan adapter works better than the one I used, which is a green adapter from ebay.
I only sync about 5GB each time with 5 mins rest now.

Tarkan also said the slower the speed of the mSATA card, the less heat it will produce.

The BP4e is apparently one of the slower mSATA cards available, that doesn't affect performance within the iPod because the logic board is the speed bottleneck, but it does help to limit the heating issue compared to the faster mSATA cards.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 12

Tarkan also said the slower the speed of the mSATA card, the less heat it will produce.

The BP4e is apparently one of the slower mSATA cards available, that doesn't affect performance within the iPod because the logic board is the speed bottleneck, but it does help to limit the heating issue compared to the faster mSATA cards.

Huh that makes sense 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back