The headphones which are superior to SRH1840.
Apr 3, 2015 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

kawaivpc1

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys.

I own SRH1840, HD650 and T1.
I found that T1 isn't that better than SRH1840. I think T1 has just a little different interpretation of music but it definitely doesn't worth the extra 1,000 dollars.
SRH1840 isn't anything behind T1 at all actually. SRH1840 is better for professional monitoring.

I was considering a few other headphones which people on this forum have mentioned that they're better than SRH1840.

Here's a list:
Audio Technica - AD2000X
Audio Technica - ATH-R70x (coming in May 2015)
Sennheiser - HD800
Audeze - LCD-X (?????)
AKG - K812 Pro (????)
AKG - K702

#1 Do they sound significantly better than SRH1840?
#2 Is there any other headphone that you'd like to recommend under 1000 dollars range?
Please recommend me other good headphones for monitoring, critical listening .
And share your experience with the headphones in the list.

SRH1840 is indeed a great headphone and it worth its original $699 price tag. I'm glad that I could purchase it for $499.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 31

HE 500--see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

HE-500 looked like an interesting option but some people have said it's comparable to HD700 which is known to be worse than SRH1840.

Those "some people" are very wrong.  In fact that is the first time I have ever heard such a thing.  I own both.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 31
  Hello guys.

I own SRH1840, HD650 and T1.
I found that T1 isn't that better than SRH1840. I think T1 has just a little different interpretation of music but it definitely doesn't worth the extra 1,000 dollars.
SRH1840 isn't anything behind T1 at all actually. SRH1840 is better for professional monitoring.

I was considering a few other headphones which people on this forum have mentioned that they're better than SRH1840.

Here's a list:
Audio Technica - AD2000X
Sennheiser - HD800
Audeze - LCD-X (?????)
AKG - K812 Pro (????)

#1 Do they sound significantly better than SRH1840?
#2 Is there any other headphone that you'd like to recommend under 1000 dollars range?
Please recommend me other good headphones for monitoring, critical listening .
And share your experience with the headphones in the list.

SRH1840 is indeed a great headphone and it worth its original $699 price tag. I'm glad that I could purchase it for $499.

What's your DAC/Amp at this point? Why not just keeping the SRH-1840?

Diminishing returns strikes hard at this point, so I guess you won't find a headphone that really worth* 1K over your SRH-1840.

More so, SRH-1840 probably doesn't worth twice as much as the well known K702, that's very good for critical listening, and not miles away from the HD800.

*At this point, a subjective and debatable 20% extra performance costs 1K.

If you really want the best headphone for monitoring and critical listening I guess you can't go wrong with the HD800, it's a really transparent headphone.
That said, as every other headphone the HD800 has its character, that you may like or dislike.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 31
What's your DAC/Amp at this point? Why not just keeping the SRH-1840?

Diminishing returns strikes hard at this point, so I guess you won't find a headphone that really worth* 1K over your SRH-1840.

More so, SRH-1840 probably doesn't worth twice as much as the well known K702, that's very good for critical listening, and not miles away from the HD800.

*At this point, a subjective and debatable 20% extra performance costs 1K.

If you really want the best headphone for monitoring and critical listening I guess you can't go wrong with the HD800, it's a really transparent headphone.
That said, as every other headphone the HD800 has its character, that you may like or dislike.

Thanks, I'm using Geek Out 1000 as my main DAC.

AKG K712 and K812 seem pretty good. AKG 812 is now 900 dollars as used. If K702 sounds good, I can imagine that AKG K812 for 900 dollars can be a good deal.

I'll keep my SRH 1840. It's better than both HD650 and T1. I just want to experience the other possibility of great headphones.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 31

Those "some people" are very wrong.  In fact that is the first time I have ever heard such a thing.  I own both.

Does it sound a lot different from SRH1840?
I heard that it's a headphone with strong mid range.

The only areas where the 1840 can compete are in the mids (where it comes close to the 500) and comfort (where it is superior in my assessment but which is also largely subjective).  The 1840 is also easier to drive.

The 500 wins in the areas of clarity detail, imaging, body, treble and (especially) bass.  The 500 is more extended on both ends--especially bass and sub bass.  While both are neutral, the 500 gives you more of what a tract has to offer.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 31
Thanks, I'm using Geek Out 1000 as my main DAC.

AKG K712 and K812 seem pretty good. AKG 812 is now 900 dollars as used. If K702 sounds good, I can imagine that AKG K812 for 900 dollars can be a good deal.

I'll keep my SRH 1840. It's better than both HD650 and T1. I just want to experience the other possibility of great headphones.

K702s are drier and more analytical while the newer iterations (Annies, K712 and Massdrop K7XX) are warmer. Same applies to the K812, it's a warmer, more 'musical' headphone.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 31

K702s are drier and more analytical while the newer iterations (Annies, K712 and Massdrop K7XX) are warmer. Same applies to the K812, it's a warmer, more 'musical' headphone.

I just checked K702. Yes, it has 190 positive reviews on Amazon. A lot of people are saying the same thing. They said it's comparable to HD800 in sound stage department.
I will definitely buy it.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 31

The only areas where the 1840 can compete are in the mids (where it comes close to the 500) and comfort (where it is superior in my assessment but which is also largely subjective).  The 1840 is also easier to drive.

The 500 wins in the areas of clarity detail, imaging, body, treble and (especially) bass.  The 500 is more extended on both ends--especially bass and sub bass.  While both are neutral, the 500 gives you more of what a tract has to offer.

I will check it out as well. I think hifiman makes their headphones for audiophiles only, not for pro audio engineers who need very neutral and analytical sound.
I'm looking for more analytical sound with constant instrument placement and good separation.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 31

I will check it out as well. I think hifiman makes their headphones for audiophiles only, not for pro audio engineers who need very neutral and analytical sound.
I'm looking for more analytical sound with constant instrument placement and good separation.

If that is your objective, you will be better served at a forum--or at least a forum section--that is aimed at and populated by professional sound engineers and other studio pros.  Although I work with these folks at SxSW and count a number as friends, it is not what I do.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 31

If that is your objective, you will be better served at a forum--or at least a forum section--that is aimed at and populated by professional sound engineers and other studio pros.  Although I work with these folks at SxSW and count a number as friends, it is not what I do.

Yeah, I will ask dudes at GearSlutz forum.
The thing is, they don't know as much about headphones as you guys do.
But, definitely the majority of Audio Technica, Hifiman headphones are for entertainment rather than pro audio reference.
Especially, Hifiman seems to have no intention for that purpose at all.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 31

I just checked K702. Yes, it has 190 positive reviews on Amazon. A lot of people are saying the same thing. They said it's comparable to HD800 in sound stage department.
I will definitely buy it.

Sound Liaison make some of the best recordings in the world. They use K702 and HD800 as mixing headphones, along with 20K dollar Grimm Audio speakers.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 31

Yeah, I will ask dudes at GearSlutz forum.
The thing is, they don't know as much about headphones as you guys do.
But, definitely the majority of Audio Technica, Hifiman headphones are for entertainment rather than pro audio reference.
Especially, Hifiman seems to have no intention for that purpose at all.

Among the Hifiman line you could read about the HE-4 and HE-560.
These headphones have a very good balance and very little distortion all over the spectrum. In particular these are highly regarded for their bass quality.
Maybe not top performers in the soundstage department, but still very capable headphones. I'm sure they can be used as a reference for critical listening.

The HE-500 is also a great headphone, but probably a more solid pick among audiophiles that enjoy its lush nature (and don't use them continuously for hours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back