The headphone ultimatum.
Dec 8, 2004 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Krishna

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I need to make a very very important decision. I need to decide whether to get Westone Um2's or get a combo of Alessandro Ms-2's and Shure E3c's. The reason I can only get the Um-2 is because they cost so much and are a rare find used so they basically cost $300CDN. The Ms-2 can be had for near $200-240US used, and I have the chance to get the E3c used for about $60-100. The CDN to US dollar exchange rate is extremely low at this point thats why I want to buy soon.

I will be going to University next year so when I do I will absolutely need total isolating headphones, otherwise I would have gone with just Ms-2's. But I am really interested in trying the Ms-2's therefore I cannot get them off of my list. I liked the Grado Sr-60's but I like the looks of the MS-2 and I want to get a set of highend cans anyways.

A reason I want the Um2's are that they are most likely better for Classical music which I listen to while studying. Yet if I get the E3c's and I am able to EQ them will the deviate the need for the Um2's?

The question I ask is this: Will I be content with just the Um2s for now? Or should I just go for the Shure/Alessandro Combo.

My source will be my computer with the sound card likely being a audigy 2 (or echo indigo), and my Hd-player (Either my Samsung Yp-910 if I am unable to sell it, or the Iaudio M5/Rio Chroma once it comes out). The Ms-2s would be used exclusively with my computer most of the time, but on chilly days I would like to use them as earmuffs, so I was wondering if a portable player would be able to drive them?

I listen to Rock(Audioslave, Three doors down, Jet, Radiohead, etc), Classic Rock(Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendric, Gn'R, etc), Soft Rock (Coldplay), Classical(Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Carl Orf, Howard Shore, Vaugner), and Metal (Linkin Park, Staind), and I am just getting into Jazz.

So what would you guys suggest I choose?

I understand that not many people have Um2's here so people with E5c's can pitch in since they are very similiar.

Thanks alot.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Come to Minnesota and you can try out the SR325's which are similar to the MS-2's.
tongue.gif
Well that's what I'm doing at least.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 3
No, I am not really interested in the Sr-325's mainly because of the impressions I got from here. I am pretty much set on the MS-2's in terms of the full sized cans go, but the real questions is should I go for those over the Um2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back