The headphone sound cuts off when I turn off my speakers while playing music
Sep 27, 2020 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

klogg4

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! It's not really a problem (well, it is, but it's with my speakers for sure), but it still concerns me. What we've got:

1. Audio interfaces: MOTU M4 and E-MU 0404 USB, both have the same effect;
2. Active speakers (Microlab Solo 7C) connected to line out of either interface through RCA (MOTU) or 3.5 (E-MU);
3. Headphones connected to the headphone output.

What I do:
1. Listen to music through the headphones;
2. Turn off my speakers (they pop loudly enough);
3. The sound in headphones cuts off! On E-Mu it goes back after 3-4 seconds, MOTU stops doing audio completely, even VU-Meter on display stops showing signal from PC!

Is it any dangerous for either interface? Damaging internal DAC and its components would be the last thing I want to do (MOTU headphone out sound great). Thanks!

Sep 28, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 3
It sounds like the problem is with your speakers.
Turning them off seems to cause a spike or electrical surge in the amp circuit.

Speakers shouldn't pop when turning them on and off, so I think it's worth sending Microlab an email and ask if there is a fault with your unit.
This popping might bad for the speakers (probably more the internal amp), but it's less likley to put strain on the interface as it's receiving less electricity in that moment.

If you're worried about it, maybe try plugging the speakers and interface into separate circuits in the house, so the surge from the speakers doesn't interrupt the other components.

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Speakers shouldn't pop when turning them on and off, so I think it's worth sending Microlab an email and ask if there is a fault with your unit.
I'm actually not worried about speakers because they're VEEERY old and they're just not worth worrying about. I'm worried about sound interfaces, because I do not understand why this happens.

Actually my other guess is that it may happen because the resistance of speakers line in drops almost to 0 when I turn them on/off. Normally it's 47 kOm. If it's true, then I do not see anything scary about it. But I may be wrong...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back