The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #437 of 6,326
Quote:
Is there a finer gradation in the attenuation?  The only attenuator I could find at DACT was the CT2-10k  which is apparently the one you have.  It indicates a 0.5 db per step.  I don't think I'd want something with a more coarse adjustment.

http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

Maybe Justin could weigh-in on this?

you dont want that one, it has a very limited range of adjustment.  if you're worried about the steps being too big with the DACT, choose the Alpha potentiometer instead.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #440 of 6,326
Quote:

These are certainly going to be some of the most beautiful headphone amps ever created.  I can't wait to see mine in person!

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #442 of 6,326
Justin, as I said in my email, please put me on the reserve list for the second run. Let me know when I should pay.

Of course if one of you first runners have decided that you really should be more sensible in managing your money, that would be greatly appreciated.  
size]

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #443 of 6,326
I've been following this thread for a few weeks now, and have decided I really want this amp. However I have the Fostex TH900s with the single ended stock cable, would I need to re-cable the HP's or is there an adapter. If there is a adapter will I lose any SQ or should I re-cable?

Cheers,
~Steve

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #444 of 6,326
^ Depends on what sort of source you're using. If it's an unbalanced source, no need to re-cable or get an adapter since the GS-X has TRS combo jacks. You only need to re-cable headphones if you want to use them balanced, on a balanced source. Which I don't recommend doing for the Fostex TH900, because I've never heard a low-impedance high-sensitivity headphone that significantly benefitted from balanced amplification. IMO, trying to use balanced low-impedance high-sensitivity headphones is a waste of time & money. The only headphones I've heard to benefit from it are low-sensitivity. (Btw, you need a balanced source for the GS-X to use it balanced, since it doesn't have phase inverters. And I recommend using the GS-X in balanced mode, mostly because you're vastly overpaying for it if you don't use its balanced output!)

Plus IMO, if you really want to try balanced headphones on any balanced amp, you should start with ones that have detachable cables, like the HD800, Audeze, or HiFiMan headphones. You should only re-cable hardwired headphones if you're 100% sure you'll never go back to single-ended.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #446 of 6,326
Quote:
^ Depends on what sort of source you're using. If it's an unbalanced source, no need to re-cable or get an adapter since the GS-X has TRS combo jacks. You only need to re-cable headphones if you want to use them balanced, on a balanced source. Which I don't recommend doing for the Fostex TH900, because I've never heard a low-impedance high-sensitivity headphone that significantly benefitted from balanced amplification. IMO, trying to use balanced low-impedance high-sensitivity headphones is a waste of time & money. The only headphones I've heard to benefit from it are low-sensitivity. (Btw, you need a balanced source for the GS-X to use it balanced, since it doesn't have phase inverters. And I recommend using the GS-X in balanced mode, mostly because you're vastly overpaying for it if you don't use its balanced output!)

Plus IMO, if you really want to try balanced headphones on any balanced amp, you should start with ones that have detachable cables, like the HD800, Audeze, or HiFiMan headphones. You should only re-cable hardwired headphones if you're 100% sure you'll never go back to single-ended.

Thanks Asr,
So the new GS-X with the TRS combo jacks lets you use single ended and 3 pin XLR in the one jack? sorry still on my L's when it comes to audiophile equipment.

Right now my dac is the asus essence 1 which has 3pin balanced out, however I have been informed that its not a true balanced out dac, but it will do for now till I upgrade, I have a short list, Eximus DP1, Zodiac Gold, and Invicta. Which will take sometime to save up for, and with what people are saying about the W4S DAC2 I should consider it as well

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #447 of 6,326
Quote:
Btw, you need a balanced source for the GS-X to use it balanced, since it doesn't have phase inverters.

Without a balanced source it only functions as a single-ended amp? Is this spelled out anywhere that I could have found for myself?

Let me rephrase the question for anyone to weigh in:
When using a single-ended source for the GS-X, are the balanced outputs not operable or is the quality of the balanced output just less desirable?

The thought that a balanced source is required to utilize a large portion of the capabilities of this amp is most distressing.  I was able to convince my wife that the quality and versatility of this amp justifies the investment. However, turning around a few days after the order and saying "Oh, by the way, I now need a new DAC" just kills the whole deal.  I really don't want to cancel my order...please help...

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #448 of 6,326
Balanced in balanced out
Single ended in single ended out

Ie the GS-X only amplifies channels that are present :wink:  

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #449 of 6,326
Quote:
Let me rephrase the question for anyone to weigh in:
When using a single-ended source for the GS-X, are the balanced outputs not operable or is the quality of the balanced output just less desirable?

The thought that a balanced source is required to utilize a large portion of the capabilities of this amp is most distressing.  I was able to convince my wife that the quality and versatility of this amp justifies the investment. However, turning around a few days after the order and saying "Oh, by the way, I now need a new DAC" just kills the whole deal.  I really don't want to cancel my order...please help...

Well, you could always tough it out with your current DAC and then get her a new DAC  for her birthday !!
ksc75smile.gif

Another way to go would be to upgrade your DVD / Bluray player to the OPPO BDP-105.  This is a superb balanced output DAC that you can use for any digital source.  You can sell it to your wife as a CD/SACD/Bluray/DVD player -- it has fantastic video capabilities too.  It really is a fabulous unit all the way around.  So many features your wife will be sold on one of them, and you can enjoy the balanced DAC.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #450 of 6,326
Balanced in balanced out
Single ended in single ended out

Ie the GS-X only amplifies channels that are present :wink:  What you want is the GS-1.  But it's discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back