The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jul 3, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #6,166 of 6,342
The GS-X mk2 continues to amaze me. I have several other high-end amps/preamps controlled by xlr switches for various configurations, but the GS-X mk2 is always at the end of the chain, the one I go to when I need a lot of power. It definitely has more clean power than other amps in its price range. Like the RME, it‘s one of those rare “good values.”

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #6,167 of 6,342
Joined the club today and I’m seriously impressed with this amp. Some quick impressions and comparisons of the GS-X MK2 with my other two amps the Luxman P-750u and Formula S/Powerman. The Luxman has more bass, more weight to its sound. You can definitely hear the Luxman "flavor" and what it's adding to the music in comparison to the GS-X MK2. The Luxman has a tube-like smoothness, lushness to the sound making it a lot different from the sound of the GS-X MK2. It’s dynamic and powerful but it’s not as crisp and lively as the GS-X MK2.

The Formula S almost matches the GS-X MK2's openness and other sonic traits. It adds a hint of musical warmth and a slightly weighty sound. I thought both the Luxman and Formula S amps had a bit more meat on the bones compared to the highly neutral and transparent GS-X MK2. I’m finding out this is not really the case. When I pair the GS-X with my HE-R10P’s the dynamic ability of the GS-X MK2 comes into play. There is indeed some heft and weight to its sound. It’s cleaner and faster than both my other amps. The GS-X MK2's also easily maintains the Dave's resolve and transparency and this is why I bought it. It's perfect in that regard. I simply love its dynamics, transient speed, and snappiness. I’m loving it so far :)

748068B3-172F-492F-BF16-3F4BB2D2FDDC.jpeg

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #6,168 of 6,342
The GS-X MK2 is very, very impressive especially with its speed, super clean and open, muscular sound but I am just a bit unsure about its aggressive nature that seems to emphasize upper mid / low treble oddities of your headphone. I am currently pairing it with the Focal Utopia and on certain tracks with female vocal or sax the presentation can be a bit too much.

It's just a minor niggle though. I read from other site about how the MK2 has a "sandpaper"-like high which I don't find to be the case here at all. The treble is highly resolving.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #6,169 of 6,342
The GS-X MK2 is very, very impressive especially with its speed, super clean and open, muscular sound but I am just a bit unsure about its aggressive nature that seems to emphasize upper mid / low treble oddities of your headphone. I am currently pairing it with the Focal Utopia and on certain tracks with female vocal or sax the presentation can be a bit too much.

It's just a minor niggle though. I read from other site about how the MK2 has a "sandpaper"-like high which I don't find to be the case here at all. The treble is highly resolving.
Well you are talking about the utopia

which is already bright

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #6,170 of 6,342

Oddly enough, the GS-X MK2 is not my favorite pairing for the Utopia's. I like them more on my Luxman, which is much more musical and warmish.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #6,171 of 6,342

I find the mini to be a better match with the Utopia due to this issue.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #6,172 of 6,342
Joined the club today and I’m seriously impressed with this amp. Some quick impressions and comparisons of the GS-X MK2 with my other two amps the Luxman P-750u and Formula S/Powerman. The Luxman has more bass, more weight to its sound. You can definitely hear the Luxman "flavor" and what it's adding to the music in comparison to the GS-X MK2. The Luxman has a tube-like smoothness, lushness to the sound making it a lot different from the sound of the GS-X MK2. It’s dynamic and powerful but it’s not as crisp and lively as the GS-X MK2.

The Formula S almost matches the GS-X MK2's openness and other sonic traits. It adds a hint of musical warmth and a slightly weighty sound. I thought both the Luxman and Formula S amps had a bit more meat on the bones compared to the highly neutral and transparent GS-X MK2. I’m finding out this is not really the case. When I pair the GS-X with my HE-R10P’s the dynamic ability of the GS-X MK2 comes into play. There is indeed some heft and weight to its sound. It’s cleaner and faster than both my other amps. The GS-X MK2's also easily maintains the Dave's resolve and transparency and this is why I bought it. It's perfect in that regard. I simply love its dynamics, transient speed, and snappiness. I’m loving it so far :)

748068B3-172F-492F-BF16-3F4BB2D2FDDC.jpeg
nice....congrats.....looks great in red.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #6,173 of 6,342
I put that GSX MK2 Sh%t on everything

Jul 11, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #6,174 of 6,342

What DAC(s) are you using with the MKII? Is it just the Dave? I'm only curious because I'm taking a deep look at this amp it's in my top 3.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #6,175 of 6,342
To the group,
I read in the manual that you should not stack the psu and amp? Is this a best practice recommendation, or a necessity? What are the complications if one did stack?

Sorry to spam I should have condensed my questions.

Jul 11, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #6,176 of 6,342
To the group,
I read in the manual that you should not stack the psu and amp? Is this a best practice recommendation, or a necessity? What are the complications if one did stack?

I only own the GS-X mini not the mk2 so I don’t know from first hand experience but looking at the internals looks like the power supply box has dual toroidal transformers in it. Which shoot most of their stray field up/down. So it makes some sense that separating the two would be best.

Jul 11, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #6,177 of 6,342
To the group,

I stack them, no issues except if you want high gain. I use medium gain. in high gain you need separation to prevent a slight humm. here my set up with TT

765CB175-10DC-42B7-8568-051CB62584C6.jpeg

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #6,178 of 6,342
To the group,

It may depend on power line condition of your location… I also get a 60Hz hum when I stack so I have it separated. I remember some people had success using mu metal shielding few years ago.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #6,180 of 6,342
Thank you all for your thoughts regarding "stacking" the GS-X MKII - much appreciated and also confirming what I suspected. I was just hoping. I'll have to take another look and determine if I'm ready to commit to a complete rearrange of my headphone listening area and investing in a rack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back