The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 27, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #6,121 of 6,326
I auditioned the GSX MK2 yesterday. Spent the whole day with it and Boy was I impressed!! This is a beast of an amp. Never had such a good time with the LCD4. Very detailed and nuanced sound with great dynamics.
That said it is definitely on the brighter side of neutral. Compounding this problem is also the fact that it doesn't go well with quite a few headphones. The HD800 for example sounds pretty darn bright with this. Old Audio Technicas (AD2000X) and Hifiman HE560 was a similar story.

Frankly this amp was a breath of fresh air. I have been looking to purchase a TOTL amp and recently had the Benchmark HPA4 on loaner and it was a total flop show (Add the 3K USD price tag and I'm still scratching my head). The MK2 was better on almost all fronts only caveat being that you need to pair it with the right headphone. The HPA4 wasn't so picky but the sound was nowhere near as nuanced as the GSX, for example; the bass on the GSX is something you have to hear to appreciate. The decay of low notes is just soo special. I haven't heard this yet on any amp. This when married to exceptional dynamics leads to a very satisfying sonic performance indeed. The HPA4 in comparison had almost sounded flat and lifeless.
Most IEMs will be fine with the MK2 but the background isn't as black as the HPA4. I would also have to give a minor edge to the bechmark for detail levels but the difference is very small.

I think the MK2 is at the top of my list for now. It's a bit picky with headphones but that's a compromise I can live with.

This amp sounds killer from a NOS R2R dac...I actually don't hear it as on the brighter side of neutral as it sounds pretty dang neutral to me.....my ears and gears I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #6,122 of 6,326
Disagree using tt as a dac and gsx mk2 hd800S sounds fantastic. The thing about gsx is it’s transparent and reveals the true potential of the dac. Not saying in other chains it isn’t what you hear just sayin, it might be picky with dac and source, I’ll concede that
Hmmmm. Well we tried the HD800 (non modded) and not the HD800S unfortunately. And also I would like to add that by "bright" I meant that the upper mids and treble were a bit accentuated. High hats and cymbals were particularly "spicy". In all fairness though, the sound might be very very slightly fatiguing but its definitely not in the realm of "intolerable". If anything it only adds to clarity and definition. Giving an air and sense of detail (again nothing too offensive).
This amp sounds killer from a NOS R2R dac...I actually don't hear it as on the brighter side of neutral as it sounds pretty dang neutral to me.....my ears and gears I guess.
I'm using a NOS DAC too. It's based on PCM 1794 (transformer coupled output). It's pretty smooth and relaxed: "Natural sounding". Infact I went for maxing out my DAC first, thinking I'll refine my chain downstream. (Its a pretty neutral DAC. I also use it to finalise/listen to my Masters after completing them.)

I think I overemphasized the term "bright" here. All I meant was it definitely ain't neutral; leaning towards a bright coloration. Nothing bad in it. Just a different flavor is all. I just wouldn't call it completely transparent. That crown goes to the Bryston BHA-1. Its probably the most transparent one I've heard yet. However its not as nuanced and engaging as the GSX though. Certain tracks just pop to life with the GSX. The bryston is also not as powerful but that much power is rarely needed.

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #6,123 of 6,326
The HD800 for example sounds pretty darn bright with this.
I use the KTE Holo Spring w/GS-Xmk2 & HD800 (no mods) and don't find them bright or sibilant at all.
And yes, the GS-x is a beast of an amp which will always remain in my system.

Couldn't agree more.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,124 of 6,326
Does anyone have in depth experience with the GSX MK2 and the GSX Mini? I have owned the GSX Mini since its debut and remain extremely happy with it. It has vanquished my Moon 430HA, a Benchmark HPA4, and a Luxman 950. Source has always been a Linn Klimax DS ie uber category - headphones are the Utopia and Z1R both with Axios cables.
Some have even said that the updated power supply of the Mini may make it perform as well, or better, than the MK2.

Justin has said to me that the MK2 may be a touch brighter - I want to know what advantages (if any) it may have over the Mini.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #6,125 of 6,326
Does anyone have in depth experience with the GSX MK2 and the GSX Mini? I have owned the GSX Mini since its debut and remain extremely happy with it. It has vanquished my Moon 430HA, a Benchmark HPA4, and a Luxman 950. Source has always been a Linn Klimax DS ie uber category - headphones are the Utopia and Z1R both with Axios cables.
Some have even said that the updated power supply of the Mini may make it perform as well, or better, than the MK2.

Justin has said to me that the MK2 may be a touch brighter - I want to know what advantages (if any) it may have over the Mini.
That's interesting. I'm reading the same at a lot of places as well. Now I really wanna audition the Mini.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #6,126 of 6,326
well if you believe in true balanced dual mono block type design i guess that's what MK2 brings, thus separate power supply from the pre amp. Never shall left and right impulses cross in any fashion.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #6,127 of 6,326

I have both the GSX MK2 and the GSX Mini. The MK2 is in my primary system, and Mini is in my second system. I prefer the MK2 over the Mini, though I am quite happy having the Mini in my second system. In my opinion, the Mk2 has better transparency and dynamics, which I found more apparent with better sources.

I don't find the MK2 to be noticeably brighter than the Mini - any brightness would likely be more dependent on the quality of the source and the particular headphone being used.

I spent some time comparing the two last spring, and posted my thoughts on the GSX Mini thread. Below is a link to the start of those posts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-amp-from-headamp-gs-x-mini.883745/post-15504490

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #6,128 of 6,326
I use the MK2 as a preamp for my speaker system and do not find it bright, it is really revealing. As a headphone amp its almost too neutral for me, unless its a warmer or more full sounding headphone (audeze and the th-900 series headphones come to mind), it may not be the best pairing, especially if you like the added warmth and euphony that tubes provide. that said, as a reference, it is top level.

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #6,129 of 6,326
I was lucky enough to get two more sessions with the MK2 and I would maintain that it is definitely north of neutral. It's not sibilant but if you have headphones with accentuated treble you might find long listening sessions fatiguing.

However having said that, this amp remains top in my books for its dynamic, detailed and lively presentation. Build and component quality is second to none. This thing powers any headphones you're likely to find with equal gusto and aplomb! (Just remember to pair carefully) :L3000:

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #6,130 of 6,326
comments on pairing with Utopia?

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #6,132 of 6,326

I've owned both and they are great in their own right, I chose the mk2 over the mini as while the mk2 has more treble energy it is extended but not harsh. This is using the mk2 as a preamp for my RAAL and driving the Hifiman HE1kse. It is outstanding with the 1kse bringing out the best of these headphones with incredible detail and spatial information. The mini is great but dies not have the detail retrieval of the mk2 and is not as strong as a preamp.

I've owned the Eddie Current BA and Singlepower Supra and the MK2 is in the same top class as these two great amps. The mk2 is somewhat of a bargain relative to many other end game amps

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #6,133 of 6,326
Anybody have a GSX MK2 hooked up to a Chord DAVE for hard to drive headphones i.e. Abyss 1266, Susvara etc. ?

If so, how do the 1266, Susvara or any other hard to rive headphone sound ?

Do you find the DAVE loose it's amazing transparency and other great characteristics when adding the GSX MK2 ?

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #6,134 of 6,326
I've owned both and they are great in their own right, I chose the mk2 over the mini as while the mk2 has more treble energy it is extended but not harsh. This is using the mk2 as a preamp for my RAAL and driving the Hifiman HE1kse. It is outstanding with the 1kse bringing out the best of these headphones with incredible detail and spatial information. The mini is great but dies not have the detail retrieval of the mk2 and is not as strong as a preamp.

I've owned the Eddie Current BA and Singlepower Supra and the MK2 is in the same top class as these two great amps. The mk2 is somewhat of a bargain relative to many other end game amps
What did you find the differences between the ECBA and the GSX MK2 ?

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #6,135 of 6,326
Concerning chord products at least tt and mk2, it’s a green light. Dave would just make mk2 even better. Its a fantastic amp that puts the dac and its source under a microphone so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back