The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 9, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #5,836 of 6,329
So just got the GSX mk2 last night and had an hour or two of listening with the Utopia's and I must say the gsx is a pleasant surprise. The pairing with the Utopia is just so nice to listen to, although it makes me wonder if I should get a different DAC as the Hugo 2 seems to be holding the gsx back.

Anyone knows if they're gonna release a Hugo TT 2 anytime soon? :beyersmile: I could save up a little longer and get a DAVE instead but that's still a lot of money just to get it to run balanced XLR out.

32169268_10211631864013711_9105469124380721152_n.jpg

May 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #5,837 of 6,329
May 9, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #5,838 of 6,329
So just got the GSX mk2 last night and had an hour or two of listening with the Utopia's and I must say the gsx is a pleasant surprise. The pairing with the Utopia is just so nice to listen to, although it makes me wonder if I should get a different DAC as the Hugo 2 seems to be holding the gsx back.

Anyone knows if they're gonna release a Hugo TT 2 anytime soon? :beyersmile: I could save up a little longer and get a DAVE instead but that's still a lot of money just to get it to run balanced XLR out.

Hugo 2 was underwhelming to me on DAC-only duty, great as a versatile transportable unit though.
There are many great ~$2K DAC options outside of Chord if you don't want to step into DAVE range.

May 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #5,839 of 6,329

If you do not need a portable system—I cannot see you carrying the GS-X along with the Utopia—you have a large number of choices of separate DAC and player/server that are of very high quality and with combined costs still lower that the DAVE.

May 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #5,840 of 6,329
So just got the GSX mk2 last night and had an hour or two of listening with the Utopia's and I must say the gsx is a pleasant surprise.
That Danacable Lazuli you've got is *THICK*! I didn't realize how big that headphone cable was.

May 9, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,841 of 6,329
That Danacable Lazuli you've got is *THICK*! I didn't realize how big that headphone cable was.

I wouldn't consider the Lazulli Ref thick tbh, its more flat than round which may come off as thick depending on the angle you look at it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #5,843 of 6,329
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge putting some serious thought into ordering one of the new amps this week. Good to hear that there is hopefully still room on the list for the first batch.
Which new amp? I 'm assuming by new you mean the GS-1Mk2, but I don't see that it's available as of yet on the HeadAmp site. Otherwise I believe the only new amp would be the Gilmore Lite Mk2.

May 9, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #5,844 of 6,329
I tend to agree with the other posters here. The Chord options are strong as portables, but I argue that you can do better for the money, especially for home use.

The default recommendation of the Yggdrasil applies here. If you're willing to make a larger investment (but not Dave-level), I really like my GSX MkII with my PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

May 9, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #5,845 of 6,329
Nothing wrong with TT and gsx mk2, add antipodes audio and viola, magic

May 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #5,846 of 6,329
Hugo 2 was underwhelming to me on DAC-only duty, great as a versatile transportable unit though.
There are many great ~$2K DAC options outside of Chord if you don't want to step into DAVE range.

Agreed, hugo2 is abit overated really.

Yggy Holo spring soekris etc there's a lot of options.

May 9, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #5,847 of 6,329

For full-size, stand-alone DAC, the Holo Spring Level 3 is fantastic and, on NOS mode, outperforms DACs 2 to 3 times its price. It is also an outstanding match for the GS-X Mk2.

May 10, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #5,848 of 6,329
For full-size, stand-alone DAC, the Holo Spring Level 3 is fantastic and, on NOS mode, outperforms DACs 2 to 3 times its price. It is also an outstanding match for the GS-X Mk2.

Interesting, however I have no way to try that locally and they seem to be delayed on production as they are backlogged which is unfortunate since I've read a couple of good reviews about it. Will consider it though once I get the funds.

May 10, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #5,849 of 6,329
Interesting, however I have no way to try that locally and they seem to be delayed on production as they are backlogged which is unfortunate since I've read a couple of good reviews about it. Will consider it though once I get the funds.
Different designs but Mac hero went from TT which he really liked to holo 3 which he liked better, then Dave. So 4 g to 2.5 g to 15 g....your choice all are good.

May 10, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,850 of 6,329

Users who are viewing this thread

Back