The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jul 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #5,042 of 6,345
That obviously depends on the signal level of the CD/SACD/file and output level of the source device and if you are using a single ended or balanced connection. I rarely go beyond 1 o'clock on the volume in gain 1 with the HD800. You can figure out the sensitivity for the HE1000 in comparison to the HD800 yourself and then you'll get a rough idea what is needed. If you have one, just play around with the gain settings (obviously do not switch between them with a signal on or the volume turned up
wink.gif
) and choose the one that gives you a good range of volume adjustment. There is no sound difference that I was able to detect with the HD800.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #5,045 of 6,345
I guess it depends. While I had the HEK for almost half a year, and I actually prefer it on Low gain most of the time, and sometimes Mid gain. And now Mid gain mostly for my LCD4. High gain is just a bit too fatiguing to my ears especially for vocals. But I do sometimes switch to High gain just to get a bit more depth and sparkle in the highs when I listen to orchestral recordings. In general High gain produces the most full-bodied sound. It is not restricted though, I feel the 3 gain settings can just be something you switch frequently to fit different music genres and headphones. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,046 of 6,345
How many of you just leave their amps on all the time? I have mine in proper ventilation and I usually leave my solid state amps on all the time but this is the most expensive one I've purchased so just wanted to check.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #5,047 of 6,345
How many of you just leave their amps on all the time? I have mine in proper ventilation and I usually leave my solid state amps on all the time but this is the most expensive one I've purchased so just wanted to check.

I've got mine on all the time with the DAC, unless I am away traveling.
Old habits when I still have the Yggy.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #5,049 of 6,345
  I don't leave mine on all the time…when I'm going to listen to it I power it on 1/2hr before.

+1 same here.
The amp unit gets warm, not hot but cosy. Any increase in temperature will age the parts faster. So what's the point in listening for like 3 hrs in the evening and keeping the amp on for 21 hrs until the next listening session. Apart from being a waste of energy it will age your equipment faster ... so yeah having it on all the time seems really smart
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #5,050 of 6,345

+1 same here.
The amp unit gets warm, not hot but cosy. Any increase in temperature will age the parts faster. So what's the point in listening for like 3 hrs in the evening and keeping the amp on for 21 hrs until the next listening session. Apart from being a waste of energy it will age your equipment faster ... so yeah having it on all the time seems really smart
rolleyes.gif

Definitely a waste for me to keep it on for so long and not be listening.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #5,051 of 6,345
My understanding is that components heating up and cooling down is the biggest cause of failure.

It is also true that my listening is at random, sudden times throughout the day; no advanced warnings.

Gumby and GS-X mk2 on 24/7 unless I am travelling overseas for an extended time (like now).

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,054 of 6,345
Ah, thanks!
That's why I have some 250mA still lying around. I sold the amp with slow-blows but have here two spare slow-blows and the two original fuses.
Anybody in Europe intersted in 2 HiFi-Tuning Supreme 3 Slow-Blow 250V 250mA fuses and two original fuses? Boxed and all.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #5,055 of 6,345
No thanks. I like the way my set up sounds now - any more improvment and it would push into "are you kiddin' " territory
biggrin.gif
I don't even know if the original fuses are put in the right way
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back