The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Oct 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,758 of 6,326

Some viruses never get fully eradicated from one's body; they merely become latent and the weirdest triggers get them reactivated.

Such was the story with my just dropping of the radar here, focusing on other things in life, when lo and behold, out of nowhere, I was reorganizing my storage cabinet to make room for a few lens boxes. While throwing out some, dusting off others, in there lay my LCD-3 case, headphones snuggly tucked inside, untouched in well over a year. As with an old - but not the best or quite close - friend, whom one hasn't seen in ages but encounters purely by chance, I felt - little out of courtesy, little out of guilt - that I should spend a little time together; see what's up, as it were.

As it turns out, there was plenty to reminisce over, to recall moments of joy, of pensiveness, of lightness and of darkness. It was not much later that I decided I've been missing out on the whole experience of music for too long, and started reading this site again. Since I didn't want to spend too much time and money at this point, I went for what seem to be a decent way to restart; I ordered the new LCD-4 and also a GS-X mk II amp. I'm leaving my current DAC setup as is, since I still like the way it sounds.

So to those with whom I've had the pleasure of interacting here over the years, hello again. 

Welcome back Nick! Looking forward to your impressions! The GS-X MK2 has been my endgame amp for quite a while now...the LCD-4s look VERY intriguing too!

It would be great to hear the impressions here as well. I'm looking at the LCD-4 once some more impressions come in and already have the GS-X mk2. Have to know about the bass so I can compare it to the LCD-2. If the bass is on par, I know the rest will be. I'm not a huge bass head but I like the occasional bassy song.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #4,759 of 6,326
  It would be great to hear the impressions here as well. I'm looking at the LCD-4 once some more impressions come in and already have the GS-X mk2. Have to know about the bass so I can compare it to the LCD-2. If the bass is on par, I know the rest will be. I'm not a huge bass head but I like the occasional bassy song.

Hoping to get a pair of LCD-4 in soon...I'd love to hear the evolution of the next Audeze TOTL headphone! 
L3000.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,760 of 6,326
  I wonder if Tyll's GSX2 has the Dact or Alpha attenuator. 

The one we used during Big Sound 2015 had a stepped attenuator that had definite notches per set volume. I have heard one other GS-X Mk2 at a local meet and it felt completely different. In fact I really did not like the one on the GS-X Mk2 that Tyll had because it did not provide fine enough tuning for my tastes. The one at the meet was more continuous. Both amps had more power than I needed and looked phenomenal.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #4,762 of 6,326
  I need help please!

Running GS-MK2 preamp into my Pioneer Elite 67 and using the CD input and overwhelming the the Receiver.

Any ideas, I assume I need an attenuator, any ideas?

What input have you got available using on the Pioneer Elite 67....... Aux, CD, Phono?

Try AUX

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #4,764 of 6,326

I'm using the CD input, no aux and phono won't work either,  can I loop out?

some amps have a switch to use with different sources through the one input, if your amp has this could be on phono mode. see if you can find that switch and let us know

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,765 of 6,326
Pioneer Elite 67 has a lot of inputs try them all, and if that doesn't work test another amp if you can to see if the problem lies with the gsx or amp

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4,767 of 6,326
Yep you need the loop out, otherwise you are double-preamping; not a good thing. (And you are also double-attenuating, also a terrible thing generally for critical listening.)
Some integrated amps, like Luxman, have an extra input that goes right into the power amp section, bypassing the preamp/attenuator. In that case, it would probably be preferable to connect the
preamp output of the GSX to this type of input (do not use the loop out of the GSX for this, as it is not attenuated). In this scenario, you would be using the superior preamp/attenuator of the GSX,
bypassing the inferior Pioneer one. I'm doubtful if the Pioneer has this, but see if it does, and if does you may be in luck. If I were you, I'd find a good home-theater receiver/amp with this kind of connection 
so you can take advantage of the GSX as a preamp. That Pioneer probably is not too expensive a component to swap out.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #4,768 of 6,326
  Yep you need the loop out, otherwise you are double-preamping; not a good thing. (And you are also double-attenuating, also a terrible thing generally for critical listening.)
Some integrated amps, like Luxman, have an extra input that goes right into the power amp section, bypassing the preamp/attenuator. In that case, it would probably be preferable to connect the
preamp output of the GSX to this type of input (do not use the loop out of the GSX for this, as it is not attenuated). In this scenario, you would be using the superior preamp/attenuator of the GSX,
bypassing the inferior Pioneer one. I'm doubtful if the Pioneer has this, but see if it does, and if does you may be in luck. If I were you, I'd find a good home-theater receiver/amp with this kind of connection 
so you can take advantage of the GSX as a preamp. That Pioneer probably is not too expensive a component to swap out.

Pioneer Elite SC-67 is going to say bye bye any other thoughts on another integrated amp that would do

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #4,769 of 6,326
Luxman is very nice to my ears, but expensive. A Van Alstine Synergy is another nice integrated, very good for the money (no remote though). Audiogon is good place to research this. (Or, may lightning strike me, Stereophile.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back