The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Sep 18, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,696 of 6,326
  Lol, sorry Joseph. 
size]

Its all good, can't wait to read you review.
beerchug.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #4,698 of 6,326

I'm writing a review for the Hugo TT and let me say, the Hugo TT + GS-X Mk2 and HD800s is one hell of a setup! The Hugo TT is one very impressive DAC....quite addictive and many late nights so far with it.

For the GS-X Mk2, I'd try and stick with balanced inputs and outputs to get the most out of the design of the amp. Forgot to mention, the Hugo TT as both the amp/DAC is also truly impressive! The amp section is FAR from a throw in...I'm a bit surprised just how good it is with the HD800s and HE1000s so far.

Wow!  Kindly share your review's URL here.   My TT is coming but I have reservations about its pairing with Justin's GSX mk2.   

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #4,699 of 6,326

This is going to be a real fun one. Gear this good is quite rare and always a pleasure to review.

Glad your getting to review this combo, enjoy!

My TT is coming but I have reservations about its pairing with Justin's GSX mk2.   

Just curious as to why you would have reservations pairing these together being they are both highly regarded, thanks.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #4,700 of 6,326

Wow!  Kindly share your review's URL here.   My TT is coming but I have reservations about its pairing with Justin's GSX mk2.   

I'm just starting it...likely be a few weeks before I'm done. But I'll update when it's ready.

Cheers

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4,701 of 6,326
  Glad your getting to review this combo, enjoy!

Just curious as to why you would have reservations pairing these together being they are both highly regarded, thanks.

Oh, just that both being rather transparent and the last desktop amp that gave the HD800 that much-needed low-end body was the Woo WA6-Se.   I've been on portable since because frankly, my Chord Hugo + custom amp sounds better than the HDVD800 with the HD800.   Now, the GSX mk2 is not exactly cheap, nor is the TT inexpensive.  If they do not synergize well to make the Senn flagship sing...  
deadhorse.gif

That's the source of my anxiety.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,702 of 6,326
  Oh, just that both being rather transparent and the last desktop amp that gave the HD800 that much-needed low-end body was the Woo WA6-Se.   I've been on portable since because frankly, my Chord Hugo + custom amp sounds better than the HDVD800 with the HD800.   Now, the GSX mk2 is not exactly cheap, nor is the TT inexpensive.  If they do not
synergize well to make the Senn flagship sing...  
size]

Your right, its all about the synergy!
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #4,703 of 6,326

Oh, just that both being rather transparent and the last desktop amp that gave the HD800 that much-needed low-end body was the Woo WA6-Se.   I've been on portable since because frankly, my Chord Hugo + custom amp sounds better than the HDVD800 with the HD800.   Now, the GSX mk2 is not exactly cheap, nor is the TT inexpensive.  If they do not synergize well to make the Senn flagship sing...  
deadhorse.gif

Synergy is the key...and so far the GS- Mk2 and Chord Hugo TT are simply jaw dropping! Funny, so is the Hugo TT and Liquid Lightning 2 with my SR-009s tonight. This is one very special DAC too!

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,704 of 6,326
I have a Headroom Blockhead which I bought in 2004 (it's a balanced headphone amp, the first one I think, with a Crossfeed processor). These days I listen to it with HD800s.

I would be interested to know how the GS-X Mk2 compares if any one has the experience. Is it a substantial improvement on the Blockhead?

I would also be interested if views on the usefulness of Crossfeed processors have changed since the Blockheads design. High end headphone amps rarely employ it.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,705 of 6,326
  I have a Headroom Blockhead which I bought in 2004 (it's a balanced headphone amp, the first one I think, with a Crossfeed processor). These days I listen to it with HD800s.

I would be interested to know how the GS-X Mk2 compares if any one has the experience. Is it a substantial improvement on the Blockhead?

I would also be interested if views on the usefulness of Crossfeed processors have changed since the Blockheads design. High end headphone amps rarely employ it.

I have auditioned the Blockhead for a week 10 years ago, and I have only heard the GSX-Mk2 at meets, most recently last month.  So take the below impressions with a grain of salt.

While the GSX-Mk2 is excellent (and would be my choice if I were in the market for a TOTL SS amp for my HD650/HD800), I did not hear anything that makes me want to purchase one right away.  The Blockhead has excellent synergy with the HD650, and the amp that made me a believer in balanced amplification.  My guess is that while the GSX-Mk2 is the better amp (also glorious with the planars), the Blockhead is more than good enough for the HD650/HD800.  If you want "substantial improvement" for the HD650/HD800, I would check out a balanced tube amp (Apex pinnacle or Eddie Current balancing act).

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #4,706 of 6,326

I've heard a few of the old Blockheads through the years and back in the day they were great and brought something new to the table years ago. But to my ears I've never been wow'd by them as the GS-X Mk2 has over the years with me. I always liked the old BUDA Headroom Amp/DAC too...but again, the GS-X Mk2 is in another league.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #4,707 of 6,326

I've heard a few of the old Blockheads through the years and back in the day they were great and brought something new to the table years ago. But to my ears I've never been wow'd by them as the GS-X Mk2 has over the years with me. I always liked the old BUDA Headroom Amp/DAC too...but again, the GS-X Mk2 is in another league.

The GS-X MKII is definitely in another league than the BUDA  (Balanced Ultra Desktop) for sure, but the difference is within 15% IMO.  However, the full-sized 2006-2009 Headroom Home with Max Module or their top-of-the line Balanced Max are just as good if not slightly better than the GS-X MKII with the HD800.  The GS-X MKII is probably slightly better with the HE-1000.  Those TOTL Headroom amps were a true gem in audio considering its going price in a used market.  Sadly they were so ahead of its time and their astronomical ($3300 to $4000 in 2009) price tag really did hurt the sale figure and Headroom.  I can't speak for the blockhead, but I would not hesitate recommending those full-size Headroom amps to anyone.  If you come across one...don't hesitate to check it out. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #4,708 of 6,326
Let's reel it in some gents.  The HeadRoom amps were just opamp/buffer amps.  The Blockhead has a better power supply than most of the line but still nothing special.  Not all that different than what you find in a Benchmark or Anedio all in one.  The module portion is the "amp".

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,710 of 6,326
Shuffling equipment around, moved the GSX and Hex to work as my secondary (primary?  I feel like I live here) listening station.  This amp never ceases to amaze me in how clean/effortless/transparent it is.  It's all about the source when you're running the GS-X.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back