The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #3,916 of 6,326
I only had the TH900 single ended when I decided to go for a full balanced system with source and GS-X mk2, knowing fully well it would be total overkill, but I also know I would eventually utilize it, which I now have and will continue to utilize with different phones in the future.

So I only think buying a GS-X mk2 to be overkill, is if you will never take full advantage of it's capabilities

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,917 of 6,326

You don't need the Alpha pot for low-impedance sensitive headphones. I had the Alpha pot on my previous GS-X MK2 which I used with the Audio-Technica AD2000 and Fostex TH900 and found that I didn't really need its precision all that much. The amp's 1x gain setting makes the DACT perfectly usable for even the most sensitive headphones.

Thanks, good to know I still have the choice then.

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #3,918 of 6,326
I will add that the GS-X MK2 is a superb SE amp with ultra-low impedance headphones. I have the rare FAD 1601SC 16 ohm IEM. Nothing else that I have tried has done as good a job of driving them so cleanly.

The fact that I can also get four times as much power by eventually driving my HD800 balanced (not two times as suggested above) certainly factors into the value equation.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,919 of 6,326
I will add that the GS-X MK2 is a superb SE amp with ultra-low impedance headphones. I have the rare FAD 1601SC 16 ohm IEM. Nothing else that I have tried has done as good a job of driving them so cleanly.

The fact that I can also get four times as much power by eventually driving my HD800 balanced (not two times as suggested above) certainly factors into the value equation.

Do you have the dact or alpha pot and how does that work with your iems?

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #3,922 of 6,326

How high a volume setting do you use when you want to go listen loud?

(Edit: Oops, I was in high gain. See correction below.)

It will depend on your DAC's output, and the sensitivity of the IEM. Right now I am listening to the 1601SC which is quite sensitive, in low gain with USB Monica as source, and I am on the seventh or eighth step up from zero volume. That is already plenty loud. 

This is where the DACT shines because of the excellent channel balance.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3,925 of 6,326
Pot imbalance is typically only at the start of the sweep where the differences in position translate into large volume changes.  Even bad ones are back to balanced by roughly 8 o'clock on the dial.  The Alpha is not a bad one and I believe never tracks worse that 1dB at the start of the sweep.  Ie don't avoid that Alpha because you think it will have channel imbalance.  If I could do it again, I'd go Alpha.  

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #3,926 of 6,326
  Pot imbalance is typically only at the start of the sweep where the differences in position translate into large volume changes.  Even bad ones are back to balanced by roughly 8 o'clock on the dial.  The Alpha is not a bad one and I believe never tracks worse that 1dB at the start of the sweep.  Ie don't avoid that Alpha because you think it will have channel imbalance.  If I could do it again, I'd go Alpha.  

Good to know, thank you. I'll ask Justin's opinion and see if I need to change the order and if that's still possible.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3,927 of 6,326

Agreed, the channel imbalance only appears for me at a very, very low un-listenable volume when you first turn it up from mute. Even the few times I have plugged in IEMs it is gone before I can get to a reasonable volume.

I have never heard an imbalance at any kind of normal volumes and I listen kind of low ( 56dB?).

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #3,929 of 6,326

Ha..  That's funny..  You trying to get the mids to sound right?  It is what it is...  The GS-X mk2 is a great match for the TH900s  You might look to a different DAC in the future.  

Hehe, the mids is what it's about indeed. I just got a new Dac by the way.
The Marantz I have now is fine. It's a Wolfson Dac and has the nice warm Marantz house sound I'm used to.
The Fostex Dac was nice for the TH-900 as well, it was in no way analytic or sharp.
The amp I just sold was helping nicely with the mids as well, the Japanase Bakoon, nice warm sound while remaining detailed.
Just a bit powerful when combined with the Fostex dac, must have higher voltage output than the Marantz.

All in all, the TH-900 are fantastic cans that are just lacking a bit in one area, the mids thus.
One can't put the blame on the sources or amps for that. But matching both to suit the TH-900 is desirable. 
The idea of slight equalization has crossed my mind, even though I've never been a fan of it.
I'll think about it again when I get the GS-X and have it connected to the Marantz.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,930 of 6,326

Hehe, the mids is what it's about indeed. I just got a new Dac by the way.
The Marantz I have now is fine. It's a Wolfson Dac and has the nice warm Marantz house sound I'm used to.
The Fostex Dac was nice for the TH-900 as well, it was in no way analytic or sharp.
The amp I just sold was helping nicely with the mids as well, the Japanase Bakoon, nice warm sound while remaining detailed.
Just a bit powerful when combined with the Fostex dac, must have higher voltage output than the Marantz.

All in all, the TH-900 are fantastic cans that are just lacking a bit in one area, the mids thus.
One can't put the blame on the sources or amps for that. But matching both to suit the TH-900 is desirable. 
The idea of slight equalization has crossed my mind, even though I've never been a fan of it.
I'll think about it again when I get the GS-X and have it connected to the Marantz.

Have you tried EQing the mids up a bit? Does it sound unnatural?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back