The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Oct 31, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #3,826 of 6,326
Oct 31, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,828 of 6,326
Problem is color matching. Red LEDs tend to be orangey, or fire engine red, while the panels are more of a cherry red. That's why I asked for white when Justin was doing red for the last run. It looks great.

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,830 of 6,326

I have used white LEDs on the red GS-X mk2. they are already soldered onto the boards

Great news, since someone else metioned the red of the leds wouldn't match the red of the panel (which I never thought of) I think white will look fantastic!
I was under the impression all GS-X came with blue leds so I'm really happy to hear of the white leds, even more so since mine is in the next batch with white leds. :)

replace the stock led with one of these and 3 pots
http://www.pololu.com/product/1074

Thanks for the tip, but I won't be messing with your and Kevin's work.
I'm perfectly happy to leave my amp stock, if that's what we can call a GS-X built by Kevin based on you amp circuitry.
Kindof like calling a Ferrari a stock car. Actually the red color will suit this amp fine. :)

And me not touching the innards of my amp is a great idea, you can trust me on that.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,832 of 6,326
A little earlier this evening I was listening to some CDs/music w/HD600s on the GS-1(which I've only had since last week) & was getting a bit dismayed by the lack of detail which appeared to be lacking especially in the highs which sounded buried and rolling off early.  So I switched to my SRH1540 which is a lower impedance HP & I also put the gain switch to low.  The sound on the SRH had a better overall balance and was more linear.  This sort of bummed me out although I'm glad that the synergy is good between the 1540 & GS-1.  When I got the amp I wanted to use it mostly with my Senns siblings the HD6XXs.  Well after a while I switched HPs again this time for the HD650 & I also switched the Cardas upgrade cable from the Senns for the Japanese Oyaide HPC-62HDX, Silver-plated OFC braided shield cable & put on Steely Dan, Katie Lied switched the gain switch back to high adjusted the volume, sat back & took a deep breath waiting for the music to start.  It did, and OMG !  As dismayed as I was  earlier in the evening I was now on cloud 9.  The sound of this amp with the HD650s is stunning.  I used to think I had discovered the ultimate sound of the HD650 with prior amps & also used to think I had broken the veil myth that so many seem to attribute to the HD650; well I may have but not like this, not this good not when you can hear every little note, chord scratch, twang, every syllable sang, background voices, little rhythm guitar lick while listening to the lead, well defined bass, horns, tick tick of the high hat & then subtle shuffle on the ride cymbal, all clear, separate, without any sibilance, grain or listening fatigue.  Have I left anything out ?  And to think that I've ordered the mk2 module upgrade from Justin; I'm now anxious to hear which level the mk2 will take the amp to.  Ok so, I've been on a quest for the last three years or so for this kind of sound & after many amps & HPs bought & sold well, I'm pretty sure I've finally found what I have been looking for.  Solude explained it better in  a PM reply to my question about the synergy between the GS-1 & HD650, & I quote him : "The Senns can sound lifeless or cloudy on a lot of amps for the Dynalo amps really grab them by the balls and make them swing."  Yes they do, they do indeed.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #3,833 of 6,326
The HD650 is an amazing HP for its asking price, just recently I had my first audition with them on the gsx mk2 and they sounded beautiful so laidback but still detailed, very relaxing HP compared anything else I've tried

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3,834 of 6,326
  The HD650 is an amazing HP for its asking price, just recently I had my first audition with them on the gsx mk2 and they sounded beautiful so laidback but still detailed, very relaxing HP compared anything else I've tried

Looking forward to trying my HD650's on the GS-X Mk2 when it arrives (I'm in the next batch). !  
They sound good in my Woo Audio WA6 SE with the WA6 SE connected to my Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC !    Hoping the GS-X Mk2 balanced connected to the QBD76 will sound amazing i.e. on another level ! 

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3,835 of 6,326
  Looking forward to trying my HD650's on the GS-X Mk2 when it arrives (I'm in the next batch). !  
They sound good in my Woo Audio WA6 SE with the WA6 SE connected to my Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC !    Hoping the GS-X Mk2 balanced connected to the QBD76 will sound amazing i.e. on another level ! 

To tell you the truth I was quite surprised at how good the HD650 sounded, they are so unique and pair well with the GSX

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,837 of 6,326
i just picked up the vega dac to go with my hd-800 hp and i am waiting on the gs-x mk2 to ship. so far so good i am 2/3 of the way to nirvana!!! i've been waiting 31/2 months for the amp to ship. i'm just wondering if i am in this batch or the next and how do i tell?

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,838 of 6,326
Has anyone paired the GS-X MK2 with a XC? I've been finding the XC's a little bit lacking in the upper mids. It doesn't sound very smooth transitioning from the mids to the highs and was curious if this up would lift the upper mids a bit. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3,839 of 6,326
  Has anyone paired the GS-X MK2 with a XC? I've been finding the XC's a little bit lacking in the upper mids. It doesn't sound very smooth transitioning from the mids to the highs and was curious if this up would lift the upper mids a bit. 

I can confirm they are a brilliant combination!

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #3,840 of 6,326

The GS-X mk2 with the LCD-3 is probably my favorite combo. I have not used the XCs as much but it should be great

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back