The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jul 14, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #3,271 of 6,342
Justin, other than unwanted noise and heat is it ok to stack amp on psu?  The reason I ask, is I do stack but don't have any noise or heat problems whatsoever, however would you advise not to do this for any long term issues?

Cheers in advance

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #3,272 of 6,342
Stacking is really only an issue on very efficient headphones.  Heat is not an issue, the power supply runs cold.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #3,273 of 6,342
Brief initial review of the GS-X mkll:

I agree with the consensus on the GS-X from previous owners.  The analogy of "Wire with Gain" is quite appropriate.  Just incredibly clean and lifelike.

I'll see if I can do a more detailed comparison to the BHA-1.  Subjectively, the GS-X seems vary natural, with attack and decay sounding very "live".

Very happy so far and looking forward to many others receiving and enjoying theirs this week!

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,278 of 6,342
Or any best practices, tips, that kind of thing?

Best practice would be to separate them if you can.  Vertically or horizontally doesn't really matter.  Also keep the top of the amp section clear with good ventilation.  If you bought the DACT version, use the lowest gain possible to have the highest possible volume control.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,281 of 6,342

Best practice would be to separate them if you can.  Vertically or horizontally doesn't really matter.  Also keep the top of the amp section clear with good ventilation.  If you bought the DACT version, use the lowest gain possible to have the highest possible volume control.

Good info on the DACT - can you briefly explain why?  Not doubting the advice, just looking to learn.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,282 of 6,342
Math.  Dumbing it down.  The DACT reduces the input by a fixed amount.  After a certain point, 2dB per step.  Gain is a multiplier.  The range grows as gain grows. 0-2V, then 0-10V, 0-30V.  Now break the range up by 24 places and the difference between places gets bigger and bigger.  I actually run low gain and -15dB on the PWD2 feeding the GS-X mk2 roughly 500mV.  I get pretty fine control doing it this way.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3,284 of 6,342
People are pretty high on the Alpha pots so it's not a huge deal but there also isn't any benefit to running more gain than needed.  Rule of thumb is to set the pot to 12 o'clock and setting the gain to a comfortable level.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #3,285 of 6,342

Good info on the DACT - can you briefly explain why?  Not doubting the advice, just looking to learn.

In laymans terms...  With the DACT you are getting steps in between volumes, so it's not the same or as gradual sounding as a typical pot.  At higher gain, the difference in volume of each step is more pronounced (multiplied) versus at low gain you have smaller differences or finer control over volume.  I still use the high-med-low gain myself depending on the headphone.  

I think many buyers just rush to the more expensive option without realizing there is a big difference in how the volume control works.  I probably should have gone the Alpha pot route in hindsight.  I think "perfect level matching" or whatever is blown out of proportion; if it sounds off to our ears we will know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back