The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #5,551 of 6,326
Passed the 50 hour mark and my GS-X Mk2 is smoothing out and opening up. Love this amp.

I ended up separating the power supply out amp units on different shelves - not because I could hear any difference, but because the amp unit was getting quite hot to the touch. Separating them gives a little better airflow and stops the heat from the power supply impacting the amp unit.

Running it with the Aeon Closed at the moment. Best match I have right now - I think because the more resolving HEKv2 and HD800S highlight the slightly hard edge to the sound of a fresh amp.

I think this amp will pair beautifully with the Aeon Open headphone. Anyone tried that combination?

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #5,552 of 6,326
I actually liked this combo quite a bit with the HEK V1 and a subjectively brighter source(yggy). I have heard the V2 has more dynamic impact, but have not sampled them for myself. I wonder what your thoughts would be with the V2 and V1 pads.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #5,553 of 6,326
... I wonder what your thoughts would be with the V2 and V1 pads.

Never seen or heard the v1 pads, so can't comment on that combination. Might be something worth trying.

Can comment on the HEKv2 (ported) with the GS-X Mk2 - very, very nice. Am finding the HD800S a slightly better match, but the HEKv2 is no slouch.

Something about the HD800 / HD800S. Those cans seem to scale like nothing else I have ever tried - be it SS or tube amps - they sound better and better as you upgrade your gear. Seemingly without limit.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #5,554 of 6,326
Never seen or heard the v1 pads, so can't comment on that combination. Might be something worth trying.

Can comment on the HEKv2 (ported) with the GS-X Mk2 - very, very nice. Am finding the HD800S a slightly better match, but the HEKv2 is no slouch.

Something about the HD800 / HD800S. Those cans seem to scale like nothing else I have ever tried - be it SS or tube amps - they sound better and better as you upgrade your gear. Seemingly without limit.
I know you just received your mk2, but I'm listening to my 800S via my mk2, which I usually listen on Med gain. Just wanted to hear them on Hi gain tonight to hear if I heard any difference. Although it's hard to match the volume levels between the 2 different gain setting, this question over on the 'Sennheiser HD800S Impressions. And here are my possible thoughts. I wouldn't mind hearing your thought if don't?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #5,555 of 6,326
I know you just received your mk2, but I'm listening to my 800S via my mk2, which I usually listen on Med gain. Just wanted to hear them on Hi gain tonight to hear if I heard any difference. Although it's hard to match the volume levels between the 2 different gain setting, this question over on the 'Sennheiser HD800S Impressions. And here are my possible thoughts. I wouldn't mind hearing your thought if don't?

Been running everything on High Gain to start with. Only started playing with low/medium gain today, so a bit early to say much about it.

My first impression is that Low/Medium is a bit more relaxed, but that could just be a mind trick. Going to play with those settings a lot more over the next few weeks.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5,556 of 6,326
Been running everything on High Gain to start with. Only started playing with low/medium gain today, so a bit early to say much about it.

My first impression is that Low/Medium is a bit more relaxed, but that could just be a mind trick. Going to play with those settings a lot more over the next few weeks.
Looking forward to your findings. I also feel the Med gain is more relaxed than Hi. I never tried Lo gain. My mind could. be playing tricks on me, but I don't think so.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #5,557 of 6,326
Passed the 50 hour mark and my GS-X Mk2 is smoothing out and opening up. Love this amp.

I ended up separating the power supply out amp units on different shelves - not because I could hear any difference, but because the amp unit was getting quite hot to the touch. Separating them gives a little better airflow and stops the heat from the power supply impacting the amp unit.

Running it with the Aeon Closed at the moment. Best match I have right now - I think because the more resolving HEKv2 and HD800S highlight the slightly hard edge to the sound of a fresh amp.

I think this amp will pair beautifully with the Aeon Open headphone. Anyone tried that combination?

Some folks definitely tried that combination out this weekend at our CanJam NYC collaboration with MrSpeakers. As with any headphone, you get a great feeling for the nature of the Aeon Open when connected to the GS-X mk2, and in this case that's open, somewhat relaxed very natural.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #5,558 of 6,326

I have had the GS-X Mk2 + HD800 combination for three and half years - I got them both from Headamp. Black Dragon 15' balanced cables arrived around the same time. With the Schiit Gumby added to the mix, it has been more than two years. I love this combination.

I have settled on High gain as sounding the most dynamic and lively. I use Dynamic EQ in Izotope Ozone 7 centered on 6.2 kHz rather than mod the HD800. Without that EQ, the HD800's treble peak can be a bit unsettling. Lowering the GS-X Mk2 gain will help a bit but will not entirely solve the problem, and you pay a price by losing that dynamic edge. I also add 2.6 db at 60Hz with the Ozone 7 Vintage EQ module; this bass boost is not essential but it is beautifully implemented and the icing on the cake for such a wonderful setup. (With the HD800S, EQ may not be necessary at all.)

By contrast, I lower the gain to Medium when listening with the KEF LS50 monitors. The High gain with the GS-X Mk2 as preamp is a bit too hot. No EQ is needed; the LS50 are already in a sweet spot.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #5,559 of 6,326
Joined the club of the owners of this beautiful beast. Bought the gorgeous champagne color unit that was demoed on CanJam NYC 2018. Thank you Peter very much for excellent discussion we had and of course for the opportunity to buy the amp. What can I say: WOW.... This is so far one of the best headphone amplifier I owned/own (WA-6, Vio V281, Cayin iHa6, ifi iCan Pro). Usually I listen to my rig 2-3 hours a day, but yesterday I spent almost 6 hours re-inventing my music collection. What a pleasure. This AMPLIFIER will stay in my house forever.
I have one small question to those who are using Sennheiser HD800s. I was running mk2 via RCA inputs feeded from my Ibasso’s DX200 line output. HD800s via balanced 4 pin. Ibasso’s volume was at max. At high gain setting my comfortable volume level was at about 85% of the max (probably 4-5 clicks from max). Is it a kinda normal? Actually at low level I was not able to get comfortable listening level at all and at medium gain Volume level was at it’s max. I am above 50 and my ears are not really young anymore but with iCan pro and V281 at their highest gains level settings I never go above 50-60% of the volume. Today I will be using my Edition X v2. What gain setting you guys recommend/use for them?

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #5,560 of 6,326
Don’t know ibassodx200 but 1) is it rca se output at what volt, as using rca toggle on mk2 does not utilize its full topography. You should be looking at balanced out dac to xlr to mk2 I’m not sure what my TT volt balanced out fixed out is but 3.5 to 5 v out and I’m at 2.5 med gain on gsx to hd800S balanced out 4 pin. FYI.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #5,561 of 6,326

I had mine at High gain, but in balanced mode, I can hardly turn the volume up a bit before they play too loud for my listening room (I use speakers, sorry headphone people). I might try the RCA inputs. If I am right, (do correct me if wrong), the output voltage of the XLRs is twice as high as the RCAs, so this might tame the input signal into the amp a bit?

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,562 of 6,326

I primarily use the Low gain setting w/ my Audeze LCD-3 'phones. "normal" listening volume happens with the knob at around the 12:00 position and is practically never cranked beyond the 2:00 position.
In the medium gain setting normal listening volume is achieved at about the 10:00 position pushing it to 12:00 gets uncomfortably loud.

I don't find a lot of usable range in the volume knob at the high gain setting. I prefer the lower gain settings so that I get more range from the volume knob.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #5,563 of 6,326
...I don't find a lot of usable range in the volume knob at the high gain setting. I prefer the lower gain settings so that I get more range from the volume knob.

+1. On high gain the volume jumps are quite large. Can be difficult to get the volume 'just right'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back