The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Oct 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,781 of 6,326
I thought it went quiet because the Ragnarok is making some waves. I was so set on the GS-X until purrin did a comparison. Now I am not so sure.

40 years ago, when I started to dabble in High-End Audio, I would go gaga when I hear a new piece of equipment, quickly sold my old gear (at a significant loss) to buy the new gear.

Now, all I can say is that the new gear sounds...different. Sometimes it is better, sometimes it is not. With more time, some of the flaws that you fail to notice in the glow of the honeymoon begins to emerge.

Only with long-term listenting can you get the true measure of any great piece of gear.

I have had the GS-X Mk2 for a few years now. I was a little cryptic in my assessment quoted by cooperpwc due to the nature of the post, but here is what I had to say about it in a much longer post in the High-Enf Forum:

"HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 (~$3,000)—This was the best solid-state amp I had the pleasure of using. A word to the wise: the GS-X Mark 2 has a delicate, silky smooth sonic signature that may not be to everyone's liking. I loved it. With the most difficult headphones extant, the PS1000, the GS-X Mark 2 managed to do the near-impossible. The sound was detailed, very clean and oh so smooth—never analytical or sterile—with a mere hint of harshness left. The center image receded a few rows back, but the focus was tight with plenty of air within a spacious sound-stage. The bass had slight bloom that helped produce a big slam. With the HD800, the GS-X Mark 2 reprised the same outstanding performance in focus, center image and presence. Most important of all, the sibilance was completely eradicated: the sound was sweet, with feather-light details. The bass with the HD800 was deeper, tighter but leaner than with the PS1000, resulting in a more nimble but slightly less thunderous slam. But that sound-stage! It was hard to believe that it could come from a pair of headphones. With the LCD3, the "dark" caramel sound was completely resolved into a clear, smooth and open midrange with just a slightly dark, muffled overtone (resonance?) in the background. The focus remained tight. The center image was front stage which gave the LCD3 sound the "you-are-there" quality that many love. The bass was strong and tight, so some may miss the huge slam of the usually over-ripe LCD’s bass. It was with the HE-6, however, that the GS-X Mark2 really left the competition in the dust. Gone were the hardness in the mid-range, replaced by a smooth but well-articulated sound with silky transient and plenty of details. The focus, center image and sound-stage were the best I ever heard from the HE-6 endowing the sound with the presence and air of live music. The bass was tight and solid with tremendous impact. The GS-X Mark 2 consistently delivered the best or near the best performance for all headphones I tested here.

NOTE: I have also listened to two other excellent SS amps, the GS-1 (sold-out) and the Beta22 (DIY), but did not discuss them here as they are not accessible to everyone as new production units. You can find either unit in the resale market or build the Beta22 yourself if you have the skills and inclination. "

In a few years, I will know what I think of the Ragnarok.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3,782 of 6,326
for minimum phase systems analog minimum phase EQ to frequency flatness also corrects the phase response - IIR digital filters closely approximate analog types, FIR filters can be designed with flat, constant group delay and won't compensate an analog minimum phase system's phase - usually the default - but they can also be designed to modify phase/group delay if wanted

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #3,783 of 6,326
  I thought it went quiet because the Ragnarok is making some waves. I was so set on the GS-X until purrin did a comparison. Now I am not so sure.

LOL, just out of curiosity I checked the other thread ... what a lot of b...shiit
biggrin.gif
I am still very sure about my order with Justin.

Mr. X mentioned that the Rag ran very hot ... I think no one took to investigate further on this. When I buy something I expect technical expertise in design/layout. I am not an expert but if some equipment is running "very hot" that can be a deliberate choice by design or a defect and it will soon go up to audio heaven once the flames have been extinguished if the latter was true. Any equipment running hot will age much faster than a design that runs at a midpoint of the parts allowed temperature range. I trust KG with the design and Justin with the implementation. Just one person's hyperbole doesn't change a majority of positive comments on the GSX-MkII. Trust your own ears and be confident about your choices and don't rely on other peoples praise. You never know whose hymn they sing
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,784 of 6,326
It just uses the case as the heatsink, nothing that would indicate poor design or reliability.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #3,785 of 6,326

LOL, just out of curiosity I checked the other thread ... what a lot of b...shiit
biggrin.gif
I am still very sure about my order with Justin.

Mr. X mentioned that the Rag ran very hot ... I think no one took to investigate further on this. When I buy something I expect technical expertise in design/layout. I am not an expert but if some equipment is running "very hot" that can be a deliberate choice by design or a defect and it will soon go up to audio heaven once the flames have been extinguished if the latter was true. Any equipment running hot will age much faster than a design that runs at a midpoint of the parts allowed temperature range. I trust KG with the design and Justin with the implementation. Just one person's hyperbole doesn't change a majority of positive comments on the GSX-MkII. Trust your own ears and be confident about your choices and don't rely on other peoples praise. You never know whose hymn they sing
wink.gif

i haven't seen it, but not everyone is up to speed on head-fi politics

the "i'm not anti-HeadAmp/Justin, i'm anti-Gilmore!" thing has been around for over a decade. every few years, someone comes in and thinks they invented it

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 7, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #3,787 of 6,326
Nods.  Circuit components aren't human... don't worry about them :wink:

As for why this and other TOTL threads are quiet... when you hit the ceiling you stop.  That simple.  When a KGSS/007 combo was king it was the combo that just killed your drive to come here.  Now with the GS-X mk2 and your favourite modern headphone... same thing.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3,788 of 6,326

He has the right to his opinion, but for him to say that he heavily preferred the Mjonir over the GS-X with the HD800 is beyond me.  MattTCG and I did a side by side comparison b/w the two amps using the same source and the GS-X was noticeably better in every way.  I hope Matt can chime in later.  Then again Purrin did get rid of the Stax DIY T2 for another amp.  I forever thanks him for that!!

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,789 of 6,326
  Pure Class A amps run very Hot.  They also seem to last a very long time as well.

Yeah, I know. A couple of year ago I heard the Sonus Faber Phenice (not sure about the spelling) powered by Krell KRA monos in a room/building without AC.
After half an hour they had to open windows and the door for some ventilation
biggrin.gif

But then, I have never heard about the GSX-MkII running very hot
[quote from headamp website : Class of Operation Pure Class A],
or did I miss anything ?

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3,790 of 6,326
Yeah, I know. A couple of year ago I heard the Sonus Faber Phenice (not sure about the spelling) powered by Krell KRA monos in a room/building without AC.
After half an hour they had to open windows and the door for some ventilation :D .

or did I miss anything ?

Would be nice in winter :p
Wouldn't say it runs hot but it is pretty warm, mine tops out at 53 Celsius at the hottest point on the chassis. But that's after 8-10 hours, my WA-5 hits about 45 well excluding the actual tubes. Ambient room temp being about 20 and admittedly the ventilation where I have the GS-X is poor.

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3,791 of 6,326
After half an hour they had to open windows and the door for some ventilation
biggrin.gif

or did I miss anything ?

You're correct.  It's pure class A but the power is low enough that heat is not a problem.

No, compared to some tube amps (the Woo WA5 for example) and higher-power, class-A amp, the GS-X MkII runs just warm, never hot!

I have a pair of Pass Aleph 2--two100-watt monoblocks; they look like a pair of black porcupines--and they run so hot that I use them only in cold weather where they double as space heaters--no kidding! The fins are actually too hot to touch.

The key is that a class-A amp must have very efficient heat sinks to dissipate the heat away from the transistors, which are then kept at a uniform and relatively-low operating temperature. But what am I saying, you know all that already!

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,792 of 6,326
  You're correct.  It's pure class A but the power is low enough that heat is not a problem.

No, compared to some tube amps (the Woo WA5 for example) and higher-power, class-A amp, the GS-X MkII runs just warm, never hot!

I have a pair of Pass Aleph 2--two100-watt monoblocks; they look like a pair of black porcupines--and they run so hot that I use them only in cold weather where they double as space heaters--no kidding! The fins are actually too hot to touch.

The key is that a class-A amp must have very efficient heat sinks to dissipate the heat away from the transistors, which are then kept at a uniform and relatively-low operating temperature. But what am I saying, you know all that already!

Very true...my BHSE runs at over 115 F and the GS-X MKII barely get warm.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3,793 of 6,326
  Very true...my BHSE runs at over 115 F and the GS-X MKII barely get warm.

Well... I do understand that it all comes down to the definition of warm and hot. So I'm not necessarily disagreeing so much as saying that if someone expects the GS-X to run cool, not quite. Admittedly I have been listening all day, first to the HD800 and now the Flat-4 Kaede (very nice...). The power supply stays fairly cool but my amp is beyond 'barely warm' IMO and my room is a reasonable temperature. GS-X mk2 is certainly not a space heater and it won't fry an egg but the top grill is in the warm to hot range. Anyway none of this is a surprise; it's class A.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3,794 of 6,326
So on the topic of HOT or NOT.....  can anyone confirm that harder to drive headphones like the HE-6 increases the heat output of the gsx

In saying that I haven't really notice any change in temperatures using different headphones

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3,795 of 6,326
Just one thing to also consider is the ability of an amp to dissipate heat. Rate in - Rate out = Rate of accumulation. So the rate in is the rate of build up in the amp; which is higher for Class A. But the GS-X is very well built with great heatsinking and ventilation through the chassis, so the rate out is higher too...thus not uber-hot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back