The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,762 of 6,329

Have you gone over to the speaker world ? - I see the only headphone listed on your profile is the Shure  SE846. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,764 of 6,329

good good. I thought maybe the pre-amp was integral to the overall design of the amp in general and not specifically as an out for speakers. What rigs (speaker) have you guys used it with? Would you consider it a top notch pre? 

pre-amp is active. There is a switch which controls the pre-amp out so you can de-activate the output when wanting to use just the headphones.

I used mine for about a year feeding a Chord SPM-1200A power amp which is driving Martin Logan Aerius speakers.  I stopped using he GS-X as a pre-amp because my living room was re-arranged and the headphone and the speaker system needed to be separated.

I haven't compared the GS-X to modern top notch pre-amps, but I don't think you will be disappointed.  I found it to be as good as my Classe' 4 pre-amp which was the best sounding solid state pre-amp I demoed in the 1990s. I still think the -4 is still pretty good. The only pre-amp I liked better than The -4 back then was the very well regarded Audible Illusions Modules 3.  In the last few years I have heard several high end consumer / low end audiophile pre amps and found that even though aged, the Classe 4 was still superior.

--Mark

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,766 of 6,329
I currently have bryston bha. The pre out on the bryston hpa feeds a bryston amp and pmc speakers. Bryston pre sounds great, i upgrades to the gsx for the added omph that will feed my phones,

I have not heard of any feedback on the gsx pre soundwise, Im expecting a bump up in fidelity

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,767 of 6,329

Maybe someone with the LCD X can provide comments. With the HD800 it is an excellence match.  The GS-X MKII also work wonder on my R10 & Qualia as well.

The LCD-X / GS-X Mk2 is fantastic! I actually prefer it over the HD800s.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,768 of 6,329

The LCD-X / GS-X Mk2 is fantastic! I actually prefer it over the HD800s.

The GS-X unleashes every headphone I have listened to on it (with the exception of the HE-6 which needs more power and obviously electrostatic which need a very different driver) to fully realize it's natural potential (or at least get to 99% of it's potential) without adding color. You hear the sound signature of the headphones.

So if a headphone is cold and analytical, it will be cold, but you will hear every detail.  If a headphone has a bass or treble peak, you will hear those flaws, but you will also experience the fully dynamics, speed, etc that the headphone brings to your ears. No headphone is perfect, each makes some tradeoffs.  Most headphones have rather noticeable significant flaws, hopefully offset by something that is pleasing.  There are a few headphones IMHO that have no serious flaws, but there are still some modest tradeoffs. That is to say a person will likely have a preference for one headphone over another, but if they are honest will likely say the headphones in this class are all very good, it's down to personal taste. To my ears the SR-009, SR-007, HD800, HE-500, LCD-X, are all in that top tier.  I have yet to hear any other headphones I would put at that level.

--mark

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,769 of 6,329
  The GS-X unleashes every headphone I have listened to on it (with the exception of the HE-6 which needs more power and obviously electrostatic which need a very different driver) to fully realize it's natural potential (or at least get to 99% of it's potential) without adding color. You hear the sound signature of the headphones.

So if a headphone is cold and analytical, it will be cold, but you will hear every detail.  If a headphone has a bass or treble peak, you will hear those flaws, but you will also experience the fully dynamics, speed, etc that the headphone brings to your ears. No headphone is perfect, each makes some tradeoffs.  Most headphones have rather noticeable significant flaws, hopefully offset by something that is pleasing.  There are a few headphones IMHO that have no serious flaws, but there are still some modest tradeoffs. That is to say a person will likely have a preference for one headphone over another, but if they are honest will likely say the headphones in this class are all very good, it's down to personal taste. To my ears the SR-009, SR-007, HD800, HE-500, LCD-X, are all in that top tier.  I have yet to hear any other headphones I would put at that level.

--mark

HE-6.... HE-500 is just slightly below, though very close to the top. it really scales nicely with the GSX but still doesn't have the bass of the HE-6, nor is it as detailed

May 1, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2,771 of 6,329
I'm starting to be a bit worried.
Justin said that I was in this batch, but no answer in one month. Two e-mails sent already...
I think I'm going to wait another 6 months.

May 1, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #2,773 of 6,329
  im really busy and things are being finished now. 

Now you're just being a tease. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back