The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,656 of 6,326
  Frank,

Thanks for an excellent review.  Can you provide a little insight between the HD800 running in balanced out of GSX vesurs single-ended out of the Woo 5?  I know that the GS-X MKII with the HD800 is outstanding but how about compared to the Woo.  Several years back (maybe five years), I auditioned the WA5 with Sophia princess tube and thought highly of it.

The differences while subtle were noticeable. The WA5 has the wider soundstage and more transparency. The tonality is spot  on instruments and musicality is indeed very special. The hD800 on the MK2 is excellent as well  very dynamic but loses some of the soundstage width and depth that the WA5 and most well designed tube amps provide. Section of tubes is also important for the WA5.

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2,657 of 6,326
I understand how tube amps "may" do the soundstage some good.  However, I have a hard time understanding how they are more transparent.  All the tube amps I've heard all had a slight romantic tone to them, thus reducing the transparency.  The GS-X mk2 does not add that romantic tone - it more or less gives it to you like it is / or like the source is.  

But I also understand we describe things different when hearing the same things 
biggrin.gif

Great Review Frank..
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,658 of 6,326
You guys should try Eddie Current Balancing Act with HD800, I had WA5, Balancing Act, Zana Deux SE before. Balancing Act is the best match with the widest soundstage. It is also most dynamic amp I have ever heard. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2,660 of 6,326
  I understand how tube amps "may" do the soundstage some good.  However, I have a hard time understanding how they are more transparent.  All the tube amps I've heard all had a slight romantic tone to them, thus reducing the transparency.  The GS-X mk2 does not add that romantic tone - it more or less gives it to you like it is / or like the source is.  

But I also understand we describe things different when hearing the same things 
biggrin.gif

Great Review Frank..
beerchug.gif

Thank you Daryl glad you liked the review. It a fantastic amplifier. The romantic tone you mentioned would strictly be tube dependent and when using the WA5 there is another window lifted and the music is more clear with better focus. I do not believe the WA5 with the compliment of the tubes I am using is romantic at all. The tonality of what I experience in live instrument tonality was my goal when selecting the tubes I use in the WA5.  Like I mentioned the differences I am experiencing are subtle and that is with a long listening  period with both amplifiers. This project took me 5 months of listening to complete this review and going back and forth wit the AB comparisons. I will be doing some more comparison using  both amplifiers for the Oppo P1 and HE 560 reviews coming in the next few weeks. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,661 of 6,326
Frank, what tubes are you currently using on the WA5 to compare with the GSX?

I am using the SP Royal Princess 300B, TGRP and GEC U52. Sonically the U52 and Royal Princess brought dramatic improvements to the WA5. I thought they widened the soundstage for the HD800 by 30% from stock. The Royal Princess changed the nature of the dynamics and bass response by 10-20%. These numbers of course being subjective.

I would not be surprised if a tube implementation is capable of being more transparent than SS. After all the BHSE uses tubes. But for Woo amps it is high tube dependent. Indeed I swapped in the TGRP for a lusher more romantic sound. Some might call it less transparent but that's just me.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,663 of 6,326
Thank you Frank. From what I have read you setup should be less romantic than mine.

The advantage of the GSX is that you get the best sound out of the box. Tube rolling is very expensive....especially with a 300B amp!

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #2,667 of 6,326
  Thanks and glad you liked the review

Frank - i wanted to ask you - Did you take the pictures of the GSXMK2 (the ones in the review) or were they sourced from somewhere else? 

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #2,668 of 6,326
  Frank - i wanted to ask you - Did you take the pictures of the GSXMK2 (the ones in the review) or were they sourced from somewhere else? 

I had professional photos taken of the GS-X mk2. Some of the photos are used in the review. Other photos in the review are of Frank's review sample which was an imperfect unit from the 1st batch last year.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Apr 13, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #2,669 of 6,326
IEM users will be thrilled with the Mk2 performance.

Frank, I see that you liked the GS-X MK2 with IEMs and you had the DACT version. So was volume control, for example with the Roxanne, any problem? The steps weren't too large?

I am really pleased with the above statement!

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #2,670 of 6,326
Yes and no.  You better have a DAC with a low output or volume control of some sort.  With the PWD2 at full output using the 846 I can't get passed 9 o'clock and those first steps are huge.  But since dropping the PWD2 15dB (70/100) I'm closer to 12 o'clock where steps are small.  Low gain obviously :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back