The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 28, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #2,056 of 6,326
I sold my KGSS/007mk1 after having the LCD-2 Rev1/B22 in house for a few months.  The GS-X mk2/LCD-3 just stomps that setup so... um ya.  For your goals, LCD-3.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #2,057 of 6,326
  I sold my KGSS/007mk1 after having the LCD-2 Rev1/B22 in house for a few months.  The GS-X mk2/LCD-3 just stomps that setup so... um ya.  For your goals, LCD-3.

beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,058 of 6,326
I am just getting sick of the analytical approach of electrostatics.  Yes- they are accurate- and fast- and less colored than dynamics for the most part, and probably more truthful,   but I feel they lack intimacy and emotional pull.  Not that I want a foggy, smeared presentation, but rather a weightier, more lush one and I am wondering more and more if I got the wrong system for me.

Not surprisingly to me, the 007 MK2 is my favorite of any electrostatic headphone I ever heard because it has a weightier sound even though it is at the cost of some coloration.  No one on head-fi would agree with me on that one because the goals of those who get electrostatic systems is to achieve that purity of detail and presentation which the 007MK2 violates- leaning in the weightier, fuller, rounder direction.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #2,059 of 6,326
  I am just getting sick of the analytical approach of electrostatics.  Yes- they are accurate- and fast- and less colored than dynamics for the most part, and probably more truthful,   but I feel they lack intimacy and emotional pull.  Not that I want a foggy, smeared presentation, but rather a weightier, more lush one and I am wondering more and more if I got the wrong system for me.

What DAC are you using?

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,061 of 6,326
What price range is the dac within? Am not trying to judge something I've never listened to by its cost but in the world of dac, " you got what you paid for" rule applies all the time. For a BHSE and 007 combo, I would strongly recommend a source costs no less than 5k (used is better). For example, I've never found a Sabre es9018 dac provides enough weight and punch that I'm looking for, even from some considered as the TOTL model.

If you are looking for punch and weight, suggest you try R2R dac such as MSB and Total

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #2,062 of 6,326

Sweet! Now can you imagine how good orange would look?  :)

Sadly, I am a team of one on that tangent and so black it is. Justin, heal and feel better. It will be after the holidays when these are ready and personally I don't care if it is the Western holidays (Festivus) or the Chinese new years holidays. Take your time and get them out right. Very excited to get my MK2 when it hatches.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,063 of 6,326

Not surprisingly to me, the 007 MK2 is my favorite of any electrostatic headphone I ever heard because it has a weightier sound even though it is at the cost of some coloration.  No one on head-fi would agree with me on that one because the goals of those who get electrostatic systems is to achieve that purity of detail and presentation which the 007MK2 violates- leaning in the weightier, fuller, rounder direction.

Emotional pull is a tough metric to understand. Over time I think we discover what pulls us in emotionally, and while for some it's weight, for others it's transparency and for others yet something else. The SR007, in my system, with the KGSS, for some reason doesn't have that emotional pull I look for (I think it's very underamped). The LCD 2 and 3 (close) also don't do it for me, whereas the HD800, SR009 and HE60 all suck me in like a vacuum. Weighty and lush are magnets to your emotions, openness and clarity rock my boat...makes the journey a hell of a lot easier knowing these things I think. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,064 of 6,326
  Emotional pull is a tough metric to understand. Over time I think we discover what pulls us in emotionally, and while for some it's weight, for others it's transparency and for others yet something else. The SR007, in my system, with the KGSS, for some reason doesn't have that emotional pull I look for (I think it's very underamped). The LCD 2 and 3 (close) also don't do it for me, whereas the HD800, SR009 and HE60 all suck me in like a vacuum. Weighty and lush are magnets to your emotions, openness and clarity rock my boat...makes the journey a hell of a lot easier knowing these things I think. 

You are right on!!!!

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,065 of 6,326

I haven't heard electrostatic headphones yet but i did hear some electro static speakers and hated them. No meat at all. They were Martin Logan speakers they cost 10,000 +. I don't know what amp it was because somebody else was demoing them and i happened to be there but yea, not for me. I wonder is the 009/BHSE like that - thin? 

Sorry for the side track. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,066 of 6,326
  I haven't heard electrostatic headphones yet but i did hear some electro static speakers and hated them. No meat at all. They were Martin Logan speakers they cost 10,000 +. I don't know what amp it was because somebody else was demoing them and i happened to be there but yea, not for me. I wonder is the 009/BHSE like that - thin? 

Sorry for the side track. 

I agree about the Martin Logans. I have heard probably the same recently and they are underwhelming and not worth that money imo. I heard them on a £20k Krell. The headphones don't compare. If you hear the high-end PMC speakers that's imo more towards the electrostatic headphones.

I can't speak about the BHSE as I've not heard it. But I've heard the Stax amps, KGSSHV and obviously my tube amp/Wee solution. Based on the previous descriptions either the BHSE is not so good, which I doubt. :) Or simply there's something else not up to par and/or preference. My bet is on the DAC. In my experiences the 007&009 just don't sound like that. With a good source behind and when well driven the 007 MKI are tactile like hell, strong deep bass rumble, body and impact, but with open, clear, transparent sound and proper treble. The 009s are also like that, just a bit less bass quantity but better quality, still strong proper bass. Also more neutral, bigger soundstage and better definition and precision. My 2c, FWIW, etc.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,067 of 6,326

I agree about the Martin Logans. I have heard probably the same recently and they are underwhelming and not worth that money imo. I heard them on a £20k Krell. The headphones don't compare. If you hear the high-end PMC speakers that's imo more towards the electrostatic headphones.

I can't speak about the BHSE as I've not heard it. But I've heard the Stax amps, KGSSHV and obviously my tube amp/Wee solution. Based on the previous descriptions either the BHSE is not so good, which I doubt. :) Or simply there's something else not up to par and/or preference. My bet is on the DAC. In my experiences the 007&009 just don't sound like that. With a good source behind and when well driven the 007 MKI are tactile like hell, strong deep bass rumble, body and impact, but with open, clear, transparent sound and proper treble. The 009s are also like that, just a bit less bass quantity but better quality, still strong proper bass. Also more neutral, bigger soundstage and better definition and precision. My 2c, FWIW, et

have you heard the stax omega? A guy i know on headfi who is also irish has 007 and 009 and the omega but he prefers the omega. I think he recently sold the 009. He actually has hd800 up for sale also. I would really like to hear hd800/gsxmk2. /i was thinking about getting it a while back but i would have to sell my woo and get a much better dac. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,068 of 6,326
Omega only in meet conditions. With that caveat, I think the other two are better all arounders, but the SR-Omegas are very special too. What is the guy amping the Stax with?

I really hope someone from the UK or whereabouts brings a GS-X at the next meet in 2014. I am still interested reading about it and any detailed comparisons with other top amps. There are so many people with the GS-X and with multiple top tier amplifiers, but for some reason, I've yet to read a detailed comparison of GS-X to Master 8/9, WA5, DNA Stratus, Studio Six, etc.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,069 of 6,326
  Omega only in meet conditions. With that caveat, I think the other two are better all arounders, but the SR-Omegas are very special too. What is the guy amping the Stax with?

I really hope someone from the UK or whereabouts brings a GS-X at the next meet in 2014. I am still interested reading about it and any detailed comparisons with other top amps. There are so many people with the GS-X and with multiple top tier amplifiers, but for some reason, I've yet to read a detailed comparison of GS-X to Master 8/9, WA5, DNA Stratus, Studio Six, etc.

i was gonna go to the london meet. i kept asking if there was gonna be a DNA or GSX on the thread but nobody replied so i didn't bother going in the end. You go?

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #2,070 of 6,326

ive posted a few impressions of GS-X vs. Master 8.

basically the master 8 is slightly brighter than the gsx but both are fairly neutral with a similar sound signature. the master 8 has a bigger soundstage and more air, the gsx slightly warmer. but overall both sound pretty much dead neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back