The Head-Fi Top10!
Jul 15, 2003 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bralack42

100+ Head-Fier
Inspired by this thread, I have decided Head-Fi needs its own Top10 albums list, unaffected by ignorant popular CD buying zombies or big record companies.

[size=small]How to Vote for your albums:[/size]
Email me all the albums (CDs, records, tapes, whatever) that you purchased in the past month. Any genre goes. At the end of the month, I'll post the ten top albums here, and we can all rejoice.

To get your purchases counted, send a PM to me or an email to top10@spamex.com . On line one, write your Head-Fi screen name and on each line thereafter your albums purchased, with album name first, then the Artist(s), and then a genre you would classify it into. Do it like this:

bralack42
Album Name - Artist(s) - Genre
Album 2 - Artist 2 - Another Genre

If in doubt about the true album name, consult Amazon.com, Allmusic.com, or Discogs. This will make my life a million times easier. If you make more purchases, please email me again, but please DO NOT LIST THE SAME ALBUM TWICE. Let's keep this nice and somewhat accurate!

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 21
Are you sure there's a point? We all have different musical tastes, and what would we get from finding out that more people like Radiohead's latest pretentious crap more than Kind of Blue? Maybe if you want to ask within specific genres?

The other problem is that this is not analogous to the top-10 lists or best-sellers. The only way to tell for sure that something's popular is to have people put down money. Asking people to decide on their own what are their 10 favorite albums is to ask them a highly subjective question that they wouldn't know how to answer. People have a much better time answering when it comes to putting money on the counter.

Maybe a good way to do this would be to ask people to put down the album they've been listening to the most for the past week or the past few days within each genre, and then you can make a top ten list from that.

Jul 15, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 21
Why not ask us to send you the list of CD's we have purchased (or downloaded) that month. Then, you can come up with a HeadFi top ten best seller list....
I'm afraid it might be hard to get enough input, but I'd definately participate.

Jul 15, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 21
Yes, that would make more sense. Then you could put them in a simple Access database and query by genre, release date, artist, and perhaps have other time periods (this week, this month, this year...).

Once you have it a little more solidified, I can sticky the thread so that it will be more visible.

Jul 15, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Yes, that would make more sense. Then you could put them in a simple Access database and query by genre, release date, artist, and perhaps have other time periods (this week, this month, this year...).

Once you have it a little more solidified, I can sticky the thread so that it will be more visible.

This is a great idea. By doing this, the members of the board will eventually have a fairly decent reference with the ability to discover new artists/genres. With the massive corporate influenced top 40, I am sure this would be a refreshing/informative alternative. Yes, there are other sources, but it would be nice to have one included here at Head-Fi.

Jul 15, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 21
It's very awesome of you to do this... Thanks!

Oh and I'll have my purchase list to you by the end of the day.

Edit: 600th post! I celebrated my 580th with a long day of listening to my HD580s... Anybody want to loan me a pair of 600s to celebrate this one with?
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 21
I've stickied the thread for visibility. Like we don't have enough stuck already!

Perhaps you could have people include date of purchase? That way we could have a weekly list or something along those lines. This requires constant participation from everyone, people!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 21
There may be a better way. How do the classic albums, say [most] everyone's favorite dsom, every make it to the top or upper echelons of the list? Many ppl would have to buy a second or third copy just to vote? There is still merit in having everyone vote on their top __ albums. Crunch the numbers and voilà.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
There may be a better way. How do the classic albums, say [most] everyone's favorite dsom, every make it to the top or upper echelons of the list? Many ppl would have to buy a second or third copy just to vote? There is still merit in having everyone vote on their top __ albums. Crunch the numbers and voilà.

smily_headphones1.gif

I see what your saying and I'm all for doing it someday... I'd be pretty curious what would fill the 5-10 slots. Actually everything beyond the top 3 or so would be interesting.

I like this idea though because it gives a quick snapshot of what the community is buying. This is useful because it will create a list of fairly new albums that others might not have heard about.

What I mean is this... if the top selling album to head-fi members for a given month is something I don't have or have never heard, I'm probably going to check it out. Since a new list comes out every month, I'll have a lot of new album ideas.

Besides that... I'm curious how our results will compare to the general publics top 10 list for a given month. I believe it will be highly different, but to be honest I wonder if there are some secret Britney Spears lovers out there or something.

While I'm posting, how has the response been thus far bralack? I sure do hope this catches on.

Jul 17, 2003 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by blip
I see what your saying and I'm all for doing it someday... I'd be pretty curious what would fill the 5-10 slots. Actually everything beyond the top 3 or so would be interesting.

I like this idea though because it gives a quick snapshot of what the community is buying. This is useful because it will create a list of fairly new albums that others might not have heard about.

What I mean is this... if the top selling album to head-fi members for a given month is something I don't have or have never heard, I'm probably going to check it out. Since a new list comes out every month, I'll have a lot of new album ideas.

Besides that... I'm curious how our results will compare to the general publics top 10 list for a given month. I believe it will be highly different, but to be honest I wonder if there are some secret Britney Spears lovers out there or something.

I understand now. What do you think about a genre column since there will be many bands/albums that are brand new to many ppl?

Jul 17, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 21
I agree with the genre and artist rankings too. The thing is, unless there's more submissions, I'm not sure if I'll even get a whole lot of repeats. There are a lot of CDs out there, y'know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back