The HD580 mod is a MUST!
Jan 30, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just do a search guys those are very old heapdhones around here....there is comparison done by Kelly long long time ago between both....IIRC both stock....

Yep, they have been around for ~13 years now. Wow, that is a long time...

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #18 of 42
hi, got a few quick q's...

how did you order the cable and grills?
did you phone sennheiser canada? i
s there any stock left?
did you pay with CC?

TIA

EDIT: nvm the first 3 q's. but last one...plz answer.

anyways, enjoy your modded senny!

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, got a few quick q's...

how did you order the cable and grills?
did you phone sennheiser canada? i
s there any stock left?
did you pay with CC?

TIA

EDIT: nvm the first 3 q's. but last one...plz answer.

anyways, enjoy your modded senny!

I ordered from Senn Canada and paid by credit card. Shipping was fast, came within 2 days for me.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 42
To order the grills and cable from Senn Canada, do you have to use the toll free number or can you get them from a website. I looked on Senn Canada's website and couldn't find the grills.
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do a search you will find a few interestng things:

First the 580 are indistinguishable from the 600 as stock heapdhones, both are basically the same heapdhone, using exactly same drivers, position and open grills, with grills or not they sound very close and the differences must be due other reasons, I have owned both of them, second the HD650 cable is just a little thicker but the quality is exactly the same, in other words IMO same cable different jacket, from the one used in the 600/580, so why will it improve with that? And third removing the foam is very dangerous for the driver, the dirt, hairs, dandruff, skin, oil, moist. etc, that comes out or our bodies, will go into the drivers directly, once there there is really hard to remove without damaging the diaphragms...

Just do a search guys those are very old heapdhones around here....there is comparison done by Kelly long long time ago between both....IIRC both stock....

Now it will look better, definitelly, and the cabke is a better overall contructed cable, more resistant than stock...

X2 - the only benefit here that is not a waste of money is the 650 cable - physically stronger.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 - the only benefit here that is not a waste of money is the 650 cable - physically stronger.

Have you actually done the grill mod, or are you just supposing because that's how it seems it should be?

I've done the cable mod and A/B'd that against the stock cable, and noticed a very slight difference. I then did the grill mod on one of my 580's and left my second 580 stock, except I also modded the 2nd one to the 650 cable as well. I A/B'd the 580 stock grill vs the 600grill on the same 580 (older one). Then I used a splitter off my Singlepower headphone out and A/B'd the two 580's phones listening to the same songs. Then just to make sure I switched the cable position in the splitter. The grill change mad the biggest difference in SQ. I definately like the grill mod.

As that was a couple of weeks ago, I decided to do a new test for this post. I A/B'd the 2nd 580 before and after the 600 grill swap (against itself as it is the newer phones). There is definately a difference. The sound with the plastic 580 grills seems a bit more congested and then with the metal 600 grills that congestion goes away. And it is not as if this is a different headphone. Both flavors are still distinctively 580s (or 600s), just one is more open.
I wish I had a set of stock 600s to compare to these modded 580s. But I don't and I'm not willing to spend the $300 it would take to find out.

By the way, doing this test has worked out well for me. Because of the SQ difference, I was always gravitating towards my old 580s for my listening (when it had the 600 grills). Which wasn't helping me with breaking in the new 580s. Now I am happy to listen to the new 580s. So my ears have voted for this mod once again.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #23 of 42
i agree, the grilles do serve a purpose other than aesthetics.

For people using the stock grilles, try removing them and listen to music thru the HD580 exposed and youll hear the difference an HD600 grilles makes.

IMO, the grille mod improves the sound more than the cable, but the foam mod exceeds the improvement from the grille mod.

So, just try all three mods!

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, the grilles do serve a purpose other than aesthetics.

For people using the stock grilles, try removing them and listen to music thru the HD580 exposed and youll hear the difference an HD600 grilles makes.

IMO, the grille mod improves the sound more than the cable, but the foam mod exceeds the improvement from the grille mod.

So, just try all three mods!

Before I installed the 600 grills the first time, I did give a listen to totally ungrilled 580s--and this, to me, makes the biggest difference in openness. A much less discernable, but still noticible difference if I pay attemtion, is to just put my hands over the stock 580 grills (without pushing the phones closer to my head) and then take them away (this one is subtle).

I don't know if the 600 grill superiority over the 580 grill is due to the material difference (metal vs plastic of some sort) and that making some difference in sound reflection or if there is more total open air space on the 600 grill yielding the difference. I know that when I look at the 600 grills on the phones, I can clearly see the speaker assembly below in detail. Whereas the 580 grill makes is much harder to see the assembly. And after all both the 580and 600 are "open" headphones.

By the way, which foam mod have you done--the so called pantyhose mod or the one where just a portion of the material is cut away?

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How safe can that be for the drivers?

Check out the alessandro photo in my signature (click the link)
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor spencer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone got a pic of there modded 580's ? also is the 650 cable interchangable with the 580's without modding ?

So i could use this 650 cable on a set of 580's without having to mod anything ?

You can also click on my signature
tongue.gif
check out the sennheiser hd580s. they have the hd600 grilles and the hd650 cable.

The 650 cable is interchangable without modding

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #30 of 42
please dont hotlink images off my server (edit your post please)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back