The HD player saga continues
Dec 21, 2003 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, having suffered the mechanical failues of an Archos, two NJB1, Rio Riot, and now, last night, my faithful NJB3.

That's five HD players in two years. Am I jinxed?

Fortunately, I got the first with the 4 year warranty from Best Buy.

This morning I march to Best Buy again to replace my NJB3. Sure hope they honor the fading receipt.

I guess it will be Rio Riot or Nomad Zen this time. I want a replacable battery so the Zen is probably it.

I am not looking forward to the days of reloading. I am not looking forward to dealing with Best Buy manager who will probably try to weasel out of the warranty.

I should have bought the PJB100 from day one. You get what you pay for.

Will post the continuing saga of HD player hassle today.
confused.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 14
You're choosing between a Rio Riot & Zen? Didn't you already own a Riot?

Anyways, I own a Rio Riot and I'm replacing it with an iPod or Karma when I fly to the states. I really enjoyed my Riot ALOT, excellent sound and bass never sounded better on this baby. Except time and time it will freeze up on you. If I had a budget to keep, I'd probably re-order another Riot if I could.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 14
Did I say Riot? I meant Karma.

Had to do some minor battling with Best Buy. I had the FOUR year warranty. They tried to say it was two years. I won.

Then they said their technician had to check it out. That pissed me off. Had a slight talk with them. He agreed it needed to be replaced.

Bye NJB3.

Ended up with a Creative Zen 40gb, $50 gift card, and $50 rebate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't beat that!

Replacable battery!!!!! Metal case!!!!!!! Great controls and battery life (so they say).

Hope it lasts a while. Gonna take a long time to reload.
600smile.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 14
I didnt think the zen got replaceable battery...

Dec 21, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 14
zen has replaceable battery, but you fredpb should be banned from the geek club, there is NOTHING more thrilling than getting a new unit. If I were you I would be at Best Buy with my hot little nose pressed up against the front door until they opened! & then stand back!.................yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhaaaaaaaaaa!

good luck with the new unit, & if they give you any hassle my little way of dealing with it is ....1. stay calm 2. ask to speak with their manager (if their manager is useless) then ask to speak with THEIR manager & so on & so forth, they will soon tire. Oh, & if they say their policy has changed since you bought your warranty tell them they are still under law obliged(who knows) to honor the warranty you bought. Plus it is their busiest shopping period & they are going to want to deal with you as quickly & efficiently as possible.

Dec 21, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 14
Banned from geek club? I am the world's oldest geek.

I WAS at Best Buy 15 mins before they opened at 8am!

I find Zen Organizer a little less "friendly" than Playcenter (please don't flame me!).

So far, so good. Wish I had USB 2.0 though.

Dec 21, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 14
I bow to your geekiness & beg your forgiveness!
Pick up a usb 2 card for about $35. I picked one up (yet to install it though). I had the old Zen (firewire) & it came with play center, didn't know they changed to a new software. I also thought play center was not THAT bad. I have the Karma & it took about 5 or 6 hours to fill it up with 1.1. Though once it is filled up, I just delete or add the odd album here & there & that is not too painful.

The Best Buy here in San Francisco opens at 10am....the lazy @#$%@#$..

Dec 22, 2003 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 14
-->moi
Zen dont got replaceable battery. However Zen Extra got replaceable battery
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 14
www.newegg.com has the Zens pretty cheap under home electronics.

I get all my computer stuff there. Good outfit.

Dec 23, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 14
Strange, I've never heard of any problems with Best Buy warranties. A friend of mine had an iPod 30GB, just before the 40GB iPods came out, and returned the 30GB for a 40GB on the basis that the back was scratched up. I know he got this idea from someone else doing it too.

Dec 23, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
Strange, I've never heard of any problems with Best Buy warranties. A friend of mine had an iPod 30GB, just before the 40GB iPods came out, and returned the 30GB for a 40GB on the basis that the back was scratched up. I know he got this idea from someone else doing it too.

Yes, this is the first time I had to deal with Best Buy like this.

The new one was $100 less than the NJB3. That was for the 30gb Zen Xtra. I brought the 30gb to the desk and she said pick out a more expensive one? OK! The only one that was the same price as the NJB3 was the big iPod. I did not want an iPod. So I got the 40gb Zen xtra, and there still was a $50 difference. To top that off, she gave me the stuff for a $50 rebate too!

A minor irritation, but I came out smelling like a rose. That extra $$$ I paid for the warranty years ago was worth every penny.

Sure wish Headroom had a bag for the Zen and the Total Airhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back