The HD-570 = Too High and Too Stubborn?
Jun 8, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 25
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD570 too... I run them from my Sony A/V Receiver and occasionally from my Audigy 1. If you try them on a portable player with something like 2x5mW you're screwed up, lol. Amped they sound much better. Also, I found out that burning them in for a few days will result in a more envolving and pleasant sound throughout the frequency range. Obviously they are lacking in the bass department but I can live with that. But, if I were you, I'd shell the $15 out and get the 580 with no second thoughts!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: BTW, which cable would be a nice replacement to the stock one on the HD570?

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 25
If it's only $15 extra to get HD-580, just do it!
280smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyland
The brightness can be absolutely stunning on classical stuff like Max Richter and very satisfying on pad-heavy trance, but it's surprising how much trouble the 570s are having with some old school tech-house from '96 with really high rolling synths. A lot of the stabs and cymbal hits come dangerously close to shred or hiss. On some older Portishead and Bjork the 570s are noticably hitching on 'S' and 'F' emphasis vocal bursts. This bright emphasis is beautiful on strings and rhodes though, god...

If you had to characterize the 580's greatest assets, what would they be? Turns out I can drop $15 into the exchange and move from 570 to 580 if I decide to do so.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 25
Burned. I didn't quite understand the impact of the clerk saying, "come on back if the 570s don't work for you and we'll upgrade you to a pair of 580s for 15 or 20 bucks...and we can waive the restock fee."

Turns out it was a refurb from Sennheiser that they were using as a display model, pending a new shipment of proper boxed (new) ones. And they let that display pair go this morning.

I totally wish I had read between the lines. I think I could have picked up the 580s for about $150 Canadian.

Probably going to check out the 555s. Meanwhile, my 570s have been playing Amon Tobin at mid volume for 50 hours straight now. Have I noticed a difference? Totally. And it's in the mid.

But I don't think any burn will modify the inherent overbright of this design. I wonder if I'll miss the awesome clarity in classical music when I get the 555s...

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

But I don't think any burn will modify the inherent overbright of this design. I wonder if I'll miss the awesome clarity in classical music when I get the 555s...

The HD570 were ment to excel (read "be better") at classical music hence the lack of lows. I like them because I'm not that basshead (I have my EX71s for that
tongue.gif
) and they provide a nice soundstage
lambda.gif
. But they DO NEED to be burnt in. When I took them out of the box they sounded dull (read proeminent highs) but with time they got an all-rounder headphone. The highs are now "cut" with subtle lows and strong mids. They do not however forget what they were ment for: classical/chill-out music
icon10.gif
. I even enjoy them listening to some heavier music (House).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Meanwhile, my 570s have been playing Amon Tobin at mid volume for 50 hours straight now.

If Amon Tobin is kinda your favorite music, I'd regard any Senns as totaly wrong cans. Senns are for classical, folk, jazz, rock etc. and NOT for electronic & sampled boom & bang stuff.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
If Amon Tobin is kinda your favorite music, I'd regard any Senns as totaly wrong cans. Senns are for classical, folk, jazz, rock etc. and NOT for electronic & sampled boom & bang stuff.

Depending on the model right? But yeah, the 570s prefer bassless music
lambda.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

But of the Senns out there, the 555s would probably vibe with Amon Tobin extremely well, I suppose...?

You won't really know until you hear it for yourself. Audition some 555's and bring your own music!

I would expect that a brighter and simultaneously bassier sound would do well with most kinds of electronica, however, as an all-rounder, the HD555 is pretty good.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen

hmm...not so sure about rock...my HD 595 were not aggresive enough IMHO

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

But of the Senns out there, the 555s would probably vibe with Amon Tobin extremely well, I suppose...?

I don't know the 555, but I know the 595 which are said to be superior to the 555. Amon Tobin, Underworld, Björk, FSoL etc. sounded "impressivly unimpressive" with these. Unsurprisingly, HP amp did not help with this.

But, on the other hand, when I tried Vivaldi, Keith Jarrett or Jan Garbarek with the Senn, I kinda felt to throw my Beyers away.

I'd say keep away from Senns in general if you like above mentioned "unserious" music. Senns are primarily made for serious stuff. They will PLAY Björk as well, but....
icon10.gif
They're from Germany, after all, and we tend to talk and to behave serious. The Sennheiser enterprise quite goes along with that.

And I doubt that the highpriced Senn models HD 600/650 do much better with boom&bang stuff. That would be like a big cultivated Mercedes E-class on a racecircuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back