the guy you love to hate, here we go, hd650 cable reviews...
Apr 2, 2005 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
ok fellas, just got in my zu xlr, zu regular in, and of course my stock cables for the HD650. hooking em all up to dac1 for some comparisons. so far UNIMPRESSED, marginal differences happening b/w both xlr and normal zu. infact xlr sounds muddier then normal zu. this very very raw first impression so lets see what goes on when i switch em around here. will update.

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 19
If you have balanced signal all the way through from source to headphone output, you should (technically) have a 30% ish improvement in perceived sound quality when compared to standard...

...How you equate what 30% is - pass
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 19
it's the dac1's balanced headphone out into the zu mobius terminated with xlr' for those outputs so.. ok time to switch cables. i can feel the barrage of burn in people on the way.

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 19
holy **** i almost went deaf there. why are the xlr's so much harder to drive to volume then the standard cable.

Apr 2, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
If you have balanced signal all the way through from source to headphone output, you should (technically) have a 30% ish improvement in perceived sound quality when compared to standard...

I'm well aware that balanced is the better way to go, but can you provide me with the math that generates the ~30% improvement over standard?

Apr 2, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
I'm well aware that balanced is the better way to go, but can you provide me with the math that generates the ~30% improvement over standard?

No
biggrin.gif

It was some salesman speak from a while back that I remember... as to specifics??

No, sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 19
Make sure to set the internal jumpers to 0dB attenuation for the XLR outputs. The factory setting is -20dB (at least on newer DAC-1s). This results in 500 ohm output impedance which is desastrous for Sennheisrs.

Apr 2, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
Make sure to set the internal jumpers to 0dB attenuation for the XLR outputs. The factory setting is -20dB (at least on newer DAC-1s). This results in 500 ohm output impedance which is desastrous for Sennheisrs.

This is interesting, I'm awaiting my Zu XLR cable and I havent done any changes to the internal jumpers of the DAC1.. Could you explain a bit more in detail Peter?

Thanks

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 19
pleaese do peter....... at about 5 o'clock it is loud enough, though

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
pleaese do peter....... at about 5 o'clock it is loud enough, though

When I got the DAC1, it was set to the -20db position and my first thought was not enough power; suspect yours is set as such, given your volume knob position-related comment.

Take a look at the Benchmark's documentation (also downloadable from Benchmark Media's Web site). You'll see the instructions for moving the jumpers to provide 0db reduction.

With the 0db setting and XLR'd Zu/HD650s, 11 o'clock was loud and 1 o'clock absolutely crankin'.

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez

I think when balanced does provide improvements, it can be rather around 0.3%. When it doesn't provide improvements, it can be around -0.3%
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 19
why do they use the CHEAPEST SOFT METAL screws, i got all 8 out except for 1 which got stripped. WHY DO THEY USE THESE CHEAP CRAP SCREWS WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Apr 2, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Maybe before you put it back together you should go to some sort of fastener place in your area and take the old screws with you and ask them for some nice stainless screws that are the same as the stock ones you took out. I have a place by my house that has an incredible selection of any kind of fastener you could need. Its only a Coast to Coast Hardware, but they have everything as far as thats concerned. I usually go there and replace the screws, bolts, etc. everytime I take something apart.

Apr 2, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 19
do you have any advice for dislodging a stripped pos screw

Apr 2, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 19
i got it with my pliers, fukn pos i cant believe how they could use such a cheap part on this thing, my screw driver just sliced right through it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back