the grueling task that is picking out new headphones
May 25, 2006 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kramerica

New Head-Fier
And all these choices are giving me an anxiety attack.

I've used Sony MDR-V300's for the past 2 years. I was satisfied with the sound, which probably means it doesn't take much to please me because I'm guessing these headphones suck by anyone else's standards, but they were uncomfortable after a short period of use, didn't stay on my head, and broke and had to be taped about 5 times. I finally snapped one of the cans off by foot the other day and they've officially been put to rest.

I want the perfect headphone that's under $100. Any kind except clipons, earbuds, and grados. Comfort pretty much just as important as sound. Soundwise I can't really explain what I'm looking for, I just know I'd rather have less bass than too much. Not too concerned with open or closed. Preferably somewhere in the middle. Will be for home use, although perhaps from time to time taken out with me. Size is not an issue. As far as I'm concerned there is no headphone out there that can't be taken out of your house. Music - indie rock all day.

Thanks for anyone willing to help. Believe me I've been searching but just thought I'd make my own thread for any suggestions before I finally bite the bullet and make a seemingly impossible decision on what to get.

May 25, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi; kramerica! Remember; Grado is NYamerica!!

Seriously, there IS a Grado that you might by the longest stretch of imagination, be interested in: The Alessandro MS-1!!

....that would be PAamerica.
wink.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 6
I'll check them out. Everyone else - keep the suggestions rolling please
smily_headphones1.gif

On an unrelated note -

10nhqpi.jpg

I want to clip the can I broke off at where the two wires connect with scissors. Will that kill the sound in both cans? I want to turn these things into kind of a poor man's headset which is why I ask.

May 25, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 6
F107 - I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm not looking for headphones that really benefit from an amp, as I won't be using one. The MS-1's you suggested seem to be "amp required" from what I'm reading.

May 25, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramerica
F107 - I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm not looking for headphones that really benefit from an amp, as I won't be using one. The MS-1's you suggested seem to be "amp required" from what I'm reading.

Hmm, I dunno where you're reading that, but I don't think any Grado NEEDS an amp to sound good. And just FYI, I think Grados with comfy pads are actually quite comfortable. Bowls get on people's nerves if they haven't broken them in, that's where the "uncomfortable" thing comes from.

May 25, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramerica

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Grados or Alessandros need an amp either. Part of the reason that I settled on MS-1 s is the fact that an amp is not really required. These $99 babies are nice high effeciency low impedance designs that really sing out of all but the most underpowered PCDPs with low batteries!

And yes; comfort is not at all bad with the standard Grado "Comfies" shipped with the cans, and can be made even moreso by adding a set of four dollar Senn HD414 pads modified in a number of different ways to change the comfort/performance levels to suit your needs.

Grados are generally known for being quite foreward and somewhat bright but yet a lot of "Fun". The corresponding Alessandros are designed to be more neutral and analytical but perhaps not as much "fun" in their presentation.

The MS-1s are not the "perfect" headphone.
frown.gif
Not for me, anyway.

.......that would be the MS-2!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:

.......ok, ok, My MS-1s still want a new wooden suit. That idea just won't go away!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back