The Grifters, Motorpsycho and Red Red Meat
Jul 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CaptainLorax

New Head-Fier
So yeah, this is my music appreciation thread for these 90's indie rock bands (actually motorpsycho is still alive and rocking today). All of these bands have vocalists that appeal to me and genuine song structure/vocal melody. Then there is a touch or artiness / experimentation here and there. In general there's a vibe of coolness with these bands.

Some of this stuff might be an acquired taste, however, it's worth it. The Grifters are actually my favorite band despite them being lo-fi. Of course I started listening to them a year or two ago when I didn't have nice headphones. Regardless, they are my favorite band.

The Grifters - "If Guided by Voices are the Beatles of the mid-'90s lo-fi scene, then the Grifters' big, bluesy racket could certainly qualify as the Stones. Deliberately noisy, sloppy, and out-of-tune, the band masks their melodies under a heavy static fuzz of distortion."

Disfigurehead (one of their harder/darker moments)
Founder's Day Parade (one of their prettier bittersweet moments)
I Arise (psychedelic album closer)

Motorpsycho - "a band from Trondheim, Norway. Their music can generally be defined as psychedelic rock, but they also mix in elements from metal, jazz, rock, pop and many other musical styles."

Kill Some Day (an alternative/psychedelic build up song)
The Golden Core (a long pretty psychedelic song with slow build up)
The Nerve Tattoo (alternative rock with a symphonic sound)

Red Red Meat - "was a '90s Chicago-area blues-influenced alternative rock band." Assorted members later went on to form Califone and Sin Ropas

Taxidermy Blues in Reverse (alternative rock at its best)
There's a Star Above The Manger Tonight (random folk moment)
Ball (alternative rock again but with a prettier chorus)
Airstream Driver (slow song with heavy distortion/experimental)

So what do yall think?

I realize that I said it could take a while for the musical enjoyment to soak in for some people who don't listen to much music like this. It took me a while to really "get" Motorpsycho for instance. It was just pleasant sounding at first. But one day I must have been in a more susceptible mood because the trippy musical stylings really started to dig in.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Never heard of them before 
redface.gif

Yeah, some recommendations would be nice. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
The Grifters - "If Guided by Voices are the Beatles of the mid-'90s lo-fi scene, then the Grifters' big, bluesy racket could certainly qualify as the Stones. Deliberately noisy, sloppy, and out-of-tune, the band masks their melodies under a heavy static fuzz of distortion."

if Grifters are lo-fi Beatles then 
[size=medium]Further[/size]/Summer Hits are the lo-fi Beach Boys.

[size=medium]
was vaguely familiar with hot hot heat and Grifters....thanks for posting these links.    I realize now that I am definietly a fan of 90s lo-fi jems such as these and of course my beloved  Guided by Voices.   Also check out Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments ,
Sebadoh ,  Neutral Milk Hotel , Pavement, Smog etc.   

I know these bands are not exactly similar in style but they do have one thing in common.  The recording fidelity was secondary to the process of recording at home or on a low budget.  

[/size]

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 8
err you mean  "if The Grifters are lo-fi Stones" but I know what you are saying. what I like about The Grifters has a lot to do with the singing but also their sound is real primal rock without ever being oversimplified into sounding like just another garage band. The Grifters are much more alternative, bluesy, and pop sounding than garage bands anyways. Plus there's enough trippy songs to make a great mix of space out music

I like GBV. I can't say I'm really familiar with lots of their stuff because there is so much stuff. When you include Robert Pollard and Tobin Sprout's solo stuff and related projects you have a million more songs also. John Shough, the producer of GBV, has a couple really good albums and you can listen to his new one here.

Sebadoh, Smog and Pavement have a few songs I like as well. Lou Barlow has a few remarkable solo songs

Neutral Milk Hotel just gets on my nerves (I know a lot of people that like them though)

I don't think I've heard Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments but I'll check them out. I may have never heard Further/Summer Hits as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back