The Great Poll: Bach / Mozart / Beethoven (Cast Your Vote)
Aug 7, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #16 of 52
if I have to choose I am going to have a nervous breakdown...Noooooooo!
confused_face_2.gif

Anyways, here it goes: Bach for his sublime music, Beethoven for his deep emotional sounds, Mozart for his joyfully wonderful melodies.
I should say however I am now listening to Brahms Serenades. He is a genius on his own right. And how about Chopin? Although not in the top 3, I can't imagine music without him.......but Bach! He is the Man!

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 52
I appreciate reading everyone's thoughts thus far. Based on those, I'm voting Mozart!
a045.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not clear what we are supposed to vote for. If the question is "which one doesn't belong", it's clearly the massively overrated Mozart who pesters our ears with his hack work, the 18th century equivalent of muzak. Commercially very successful, but ultimately effete and superficial with few exceptions.

X2
I often call him the Abba of his time.
They were good too.

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 52
I voted Bach. I am a fundamentals kind of guy. Form and symmetry reign supreme. It doesn't hurt that I am a choir guy, I have sung many Operatic roles and while do enjoy it, My heart has always been in choir singing. My top 3 music experiences all involve a choir and Bach.

Beethoven did nail the Missa solemnis.

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 52
While I haven't been able to get into his music because harpsichord makes me want to split my head open and scoop out my brain to make the pain stop, but didn't Beethoven once say; "Handel is the greatest composer who ever lived. I would bare my head and kneel at his grave"? Not rated that highly these days?

Anyway, Beethoven for me. Don't know enough Bach (I should fix that) and I find Mozart's music to lack emotion. Beethoven is a master.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2
I often call him (Mozart) the Abba of his time.
They were good too.

Well, there is no doubt he had talent, but he chose the path of commercial success foremost and wasted most of his inborn genius on light entertainment.

People have this impression that he died broke because of the movie Amadeus. The reality is, he made the 17th century equivalent of a rock star's money (remember, this was before there was such a thing as copyright, so that's no mean feat). He just blew it on gambling debts, but still was not destitute when he died:
Mozart more of a prince than a pauper | World news | The Guardian

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I haven't been able to get into his music because harpsichord makes me want to split my head open and scoop out my brain to make the pain stop, but didn't Beethoven once say; "Handel is the greatest composer who ever lived. I would bare my head and kneel at his grave"? Not rated that highly these days?

Probably not in the top 3, but certainly not marked down to B grade status either. I would rate him extremely highly in musical quality - inventive, distinctive, emotionally complex, and enjoyable in a most involving way. Probably the same qualities that Beethoven reacted to, even if Beethoven is probably the greater of the two. Handel remains a towering figure of the Baroque, behind only Monteverdi and Bach in my opinion.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 52
It's Beethoven for me, no doubt, no regrets. Bach's in a close second, but for different reasons.
Regarding Mozart... I wouldn't be as rude as other members saying he's the Abba of his time, but his music, while really showing his genius at times, doesn't do for me as a whole as Beethoven's or Bach's. However Mozart composed some pieces which are absolutely marvelous like his Requiem and some operas. I find his vocal works better than his orchestral ones.

Rgrds.

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #27 of 52
Too hard to choose, so I chose Bach. This old joke has it all.

Steven Spielberg was discussing his new project -- an action docudrama
about famous composers starring top movie stars. Sylvester Stallone,
Steven Seagal, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger being courted
for the top roles.

Spielberg really hoped to have the box office "oomph" of these
superstars, so he was prepared to allow them to select the composers
they would portray, as long as they among the most famous.

"Well," started Stallone, "I've always admired Mozart. I would love to
play him."

"Chopin has always been my favorite, and my image would improve if people
saw me playing the piano," said Willis. "I'll play him."

"I've always been partial to Strauss and his waltzes," said Seagal. "I'd
like to play him."

Spielberg was very pleased with these choices. "Sounds splendid." Then,
looking at Schwarzenegger, he asked, "Who do you want to be, Arnold?"

Arnold replied, "I'll be Bach."

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #30 of 52
These polls are very surprising to me........do people really listen to more baroque music than classical/romantic style?

Very surprising, for Postal Blue very understandable his Bach preference with his focus on choral works, but for the average person who listens mainly to orchestral and concerto works why do you choose Bach over Mozart/Beethoven?

What am I missing
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back