The great headphone massacre (Help!)
Mar 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

OmniLemur

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I've managed to kill 12 headphones in a 2 years. All of them were only ever pluged into 2 ports (My tv and my computer. The computer seems perfectly normal, the TV's audio port is slightly loose) and they were from many different brands.

How they each die is that I feel a static charge net to my ear, so I unplug them in hope of saving them. When I plug them back in the right ear (always the right ear) is silent. This has happened on both the TV and the computer. The earphones themselves were of brands and qualities ranging from low-end JVC's to Razer gaming headsets to a relatively expensive seinhouser.

Any idea what could be causing this? Is the a solution short of replacing the TV or Computer. Any way to tell if its a volt issue or a tone issue? I doubt its volume, as I usually keep the volume at 50% or less.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm assuming your TV and computer have built in stereo sound. Does the right side still work on both of them?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 19
for your computer, you could get (or make) a DAC.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 19
a grounding issue SHOULD have burnt out the built in speakers on your tv and computer as well though.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 19
@dorkvader: After much googling, I can conclude that I have no idea what a DAC is. Any chance I can get a wiki link or similar?

@fjrabon
My computer speakers are definitely not burnt out. Let me check my TV real quick.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniLemur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@dorkvader: After much googling, I can conclude that I have no idea what a DAC is. Any chance I can get a wiki link or similar?

Digital-Analog Converter This is now totally ninja-d and unnecessary.

Or, what takes the 1s and 0s of your binary music files and turns them into the electricity used to move the headphone driver. Around here the term DAC usually refers to an external (or combined with amp) DAC you plug in via optical, coaxial, or USB, etc, and then plug in to your amp or headphones. Since anything playing digital music (mp3s, CDs, TV audio) is a DAC by definition.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 19
A DAC is a digital audio converter. It takes the digital information your music is stored in (.mp3, .m4p, .flac, etc) and turns it into an audio signal that your headphones can use. This would bypass any source problems, because nothing in the digital world could cause this. It can't mess up until the analog stage, thus a DAC would bypass whatever problems you have, if they're source related.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Oh. So it looks like a good solution indeed, then.

Will any DAC fix this problem, or will I need a specific type?

any DAC would fix this, but it won't fix it if the problem is your tv. And if I had to guess, I'd guess the problem is more likely the TV, because tv makers take less care with regards to their headphone outs. Because so few people use them. Generally the people who are big enough junkies to use headphones for a tv will have their sound running through a receiver anyway.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 19
OmniLemur I honestly do not think you should throw money at a DAC to fix an electrical problem in your TV/PC (whichever it may be.)

Do you plug your headphones into the computer through on-board audio or a sound card?

Edit:
Quote:

Not so straight forward as I hoped, then. xD
Any way to figure out for sure if its my TV short of buying two pairs of headphones and waiting for one to die?

Since you have lost TWELVE headphones to this issue, I actually think that is a great idea. Go get 2x $5 ear buds and get to the bottom of things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back