The great DAP scam...
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #77 of 186
I get the same quality from my iPhone. The only reason I can see is to have more storage. But if you can plug SD cards in, that benefit is negated.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 186
I get the same quality from my iPhone. The only reason I can see is to have more storage. But if you can plug SD cards in, that benefit is negated.

iPhones hiss on specific IEMs (most infamously the Campfire Andromeda). Also, iPhones have a pretty high output impedance.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #79 of 186
That is just an impedance mismatch. It has nothing to do with the quality of the sound produced by the iPhone. If you use an amp or proper headphones or use line out, it's fine. I could put monster truck tires on a kia and it wouldn't drive well, but that isn't the kia's fault.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #80 of 186
That is just an impedance mismatch. It has nothing to do with the quality of the sound produced by the iPhone. If you use an amp or proper headphones or use line out, it's fine. I could put monster truck tires on a kia and it wouldn't drive well, but that isn't the kia's fault.

There is literally no reason to have a high output impedance, so no, it's a sound quality issue. That analogy makes no sense either: that will apply for output power (also actually a problem with iPhone's power outputs, but that's another story). There is no doubt that some DAPs offer:

- Lower output impedance, and
- Higher power output
- Lower noise floor

Both these things have a direct correlation on sound quality. Whether or not your gear is sensitive to those issues is another matter.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #81 of 186
It's the fault of the IEMs using non-standard power requirements. I have Oppo PM-1s. That's a high end headphone with impedance and sensitivity that work plugged into anything. They sound absolutely perfect plugged into my iPhone, my computer, my blu-ray player, my receiver... anything. There is nothing wrong with the sound quality of the iPhone. The problem is persnickety requirements of some IEMs. You can't even just use any headphone amp with some of them. You have to buy a special amp made by the same company. That is deliberate hobbling designed to boost sales.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #83 of 186
Big difference? There shouldn’t be any difference. Unless it’s an impedance issue with amping, which isn’t caused by the DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #84 of 186
Just use your phone and get a stellar measuring dongle like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (aka Hidizs S8) and save your self a hundred or hundreds of dollars. Less physical clutter and fewer devices to manage. This little dongle is a miracle device and it's only $40.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #85 of 186
Just use your phone and get a stellar measuring dongle like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (aka Hidizs S8) and save your self a hundred or hundreds of dollars. Less physical clutter and fewer devices to manage. This little dongle is a miracle device and it's only $40.
Most dongles are audibly transparent (worst case SINAD > 50 dB), I wouldn't worry about electronics much, but I would for electromechanical devices such as transducers. If all noise and nonlinearities are about 80 dB below the fundamental, it will be audibly transparent in most of the practical use cases.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #86 of 186
^ This

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #88 of 186
I think they assume that a more convoluted chain means better sound. That meant something in the days of "separates" back in the 70s... a separate amp or preamp and tuner was actually better than an all in one receiver. But today, it is basically meaningless because the quality of an iPhone matches the sound quality of any high end DAC. The only reason to need an outboard black box is if you are trying to plug headphones in that have impedance and sensitivity issues.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #89 of 186
I also don't get how people connect their DAP's to external DAC and bypass the DAP's sound. What's the point?

I think they assume that a more convoluted chain means better sound. That meant something in the days of "separates" back in the 70s... a separate amp or preamp and tuner was actually better than an all in one receiver. But today, it is basically meaningless because the quality of an iPhone matches the sound quality of any high end DAC. The only reason to need an outboard black box is if you are trying to plug headphones in that have impedance and sensitivity issues.

My DAP has 500 GB of storage, and has every song that I own on it. My NAS also has all the songs, but to access said NAS I need to use my phone.

I occasionally listen to speakers, which is connected to my home entertainment unit (which has its own DAC/amp internally). Said home entertainment unit does not have wireless capabilities, so the only option is to link a phone or DAP to it. Anyone want to take a stab at what I connect to my home entertainment unit?

Instead of treating a DAP as though it's a better AIO DAC/amp, treat it as a transport container and it suddenly makes more sense.

Now, burning questions that some will inevitably ask:

- Why not a phone? My phone lasts for a max of 12 hours when playing music.
- Why not a Chromecast? It's simpler to shove my Walkman to the entertainment unit and just play. I even have a remote for said Walkman!
- Why not get another home entertainment unit? Well, entertainment unit works, and it'll be a massive waste to get another one when there's already a satisfactory solution for it.
- Why not get a computer hooked up to it? Computer is in my room, and the speakers in living room. Not getting another computer just for that (at least for now......a Plex PC sounds amazing in the near future)

No, I don't do it because I presume it'll sound better.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #90 of 186
I have a micro-SD card reader for my iPhone and a half a TB of music on micro SD cards. My stereos around the house all have Airports with wifi streaming input. As long as I have a battery or can plug in my phone, I can connect to anything wirelessly, even my portable system headphones and portable speakers. My computers, disc players and media server stream too. Eventually you'll probably end up with a whole system capable of wireless play. That is the direction everything is going. Super convenient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back