The Grado SR325is or the HE-400?
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ViperOuroboros

New Head-Fier
Or maybe something else?  Recently, I bought some HE-400s on Ebay and the left driver was broken.  I got my refund, but now that I have another opportunity to choose a set of cans I thought maybe I should reconsider?  My taste, at least the last time I checked on Sputnikmusic, is 28% Metal, 25% Post-hardcore, 22% Indie, 11% Electronic, 8% Rap / Hip-hop, and 6% Pop.  Diverse, but I do seem to favor music with an actual band behind it.  I am especially sensitive to highs, particularly drums. 

I have tried a working set of HE-400s and I was not able to sample my own music, but they did sound great.  When I got them in person though, I realized how big they were.  I have floor standing speakers in my apartment, so I am really only going to use headphones when gaming, at the library, or walking.  I will be buying a portable amp / DAC soon depending the cans I buy. 

I started to research the Grados.  I have heard that their sound stage isn't as big, but they handle fast music well.  They also are much smaller.  I cannot find them for a decent used price though.  Are they worth $295 new when the HE-400s recently dropped to $300 MSRP?  Or am I looking in the wrong direction?  Is there another headphone I am missing?  Thanks.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 21
If you're going to use headphones outside a lot and want them comfortable (gaming), then I wouldn't buy Grados.

I think you'd have better luck looking at Beyerdynamics (DT770, 880, 990). Although if you'll use them at the library, you'll need isolation, so open back headphones might not be a good idea.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 21
The biggest problem I can see here is that you're looking at open-back headphones, which aren't great for walking outdoors or use at the library where others will hear what you're listening to.

If I were you, I'd look into getting a closed back headphone. Good headphones around your budget:
- Sennheiser Momentum
- KEF M500
- NAD HP50

To answer the final question - no the Grado SR325i isn't worth anywhere near that much considering the HE-400's recent drop in price. 

For gaming, I agree on the Beyerdynamic range. Excelling gaming headphones.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 21
I suppose I was fairly misleading in my original post.  I cannot always listen to my speakers, as my neighbors need to sleep, but undoubtedly I will be using my headphones in my apartment 80% of the time.  I just wanted to have the option to move around to places like the library, where I find a place by myself anyways.  So in the realm of open backs, what's the difference in sound signatures between the sr325is and HE-400s?  I haven't heard a pair of closed cans with a sound stage that I enjoyed.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 21
325i - bright and piercing - the headphone equivalent of stabbing your eyes with needles.
he-400 - bright and a little piercing, but with bass too! - so it's fun!

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 21
  325i - bright and piercing - the headphone equivalent of stabbing your eyes with needles.
he-400 - bright and a little piercing, but with bass too! - so it's fun!

That may be a slight exaggeration...

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 21
Good choice :wink:

It's always wise not to listen too much to the Grado haters - Grados are some of the most owned/loved headphones on Head-Fi.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 21
Good choice :wink:

It's always wise not to listen too much to the Grado haters - Grados are some of the most owned/loved headphones on Head-Fi.

Has a modded grado for an avatar.
Owns a Grado.
Last time I checked I wasn't a Grado hater.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 21

Good choice
wink.gif

Has a modded grado for an avatar.
Owns a Grado.
Last time I checked I wasn't a Grado hater.

lol nevermind, you meant you.

Last time I checked I wasn't referring specifically to you in my post. You certainly are an SR325i hater though. The equivalent of sticking your eyes with a needle kinda speaks for itself :wink:

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Feb 21, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 21
Well in my well-versed opinion (I've owned pretty much every Grado headphones you can buy save a couple of the joe grado lineup) the SR325i is the best Grado ever made 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 21
  Well in my well-versed opinion (I've owned pretty much every Grado headphones you can buy save a couple of the joe grado lineup) the SR325i is the best Grado ever made 
biggrin.gif

Not sure if I'm being trolled here...
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Whatever you do, make sure you get a AMP/DAC combo that complements the sound of your phones. For example, the Schiit M&M stack nicely lifts up the highs of the HE-400 (which are actually pretty dark relative to the HE-500), but they make the SR325i scream like a banshee on ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back