The Grado SR325i Appreciation Thread!
Apr 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #107 of 112
To me, the biggest difference between the 325i's and the SR-60/80 line (the only direct comparison I did), is the detail that you get in the 325i's. One of the big things that attracted me to the Grados in the first place was the fact that they were so easily powered, so I could adequately drive them off a cheap player, but if I wanted to stick them into my headphone amp, they'd benefit from that also.

In comparison to the 325i's, the 60/80s sound grainy, not literally grainy, but as if the details are muffled because the driver or cabling doesn't have the sufficient alacrity or... resolution steps to really define everything. This is different from frequency response - both the sr-80s and the sr-325i's share similar frequency signatures, but I guess what I'm saying is that the fidelity to the source is very different.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #108 of 112
Is this thread being used for SR325is appreciation too? If not, point me in the right direction? Is there any significant differences between the i and the is?

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #109 of 112
Quote:
Is this thread being used for SR325is appreciation too? If not, point me in the right direction? Is there any significant differences between the i and the is?

I think there are actually two RS325i topics, one slightly different, I think the other sees more use. The s is the silver version, supposedly better, but from people who have heard both they say the differences are very minor. I have the s version myself and they are my favorite headphone (at the moment) (g)
 Oh I found the other thread...it is the "Official" 325 thread..I guess this is the man-on-the-street thread.

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #110 of 112
Does anybody made any comparison of Grado sr325i against some headphones of similar prices like:

HiFiMan HE-400
PSB MRU-1
NAD VISO HP-50 *
Focal Spirit (One, Pro, Classic)

*/ I suspect that PSB and NAD both are very similar.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #111 of 112
I have had my SR325is for about 5 days and have about 60 hours of burn in time on them.  When I got them, I thought they were really shrill and feared I'd made a mistake in purchasing them.  However, even with the short burn-in period, they have mellowed nicely.  This morning, I was listening to a solo piano album called "Unaccountable Effects" by Liz Story.  The title track was wonderful.  The highs were crystal clear and shimmering.  The effects were truly unaccountable.

As I write this, I am listening to vocals by Emmylou Harris and Matraca Berg.  Very nicely presented.

Edited to add, here is how the signals flow:  Media Center on laptop > FiiO E17 > WOO Audio WA6 with stock tubes > headphones.  Virtually all files are FLAC.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #112 of 112
  I have had my SR325is for about 5 days and have about 60 hours of burn in time on them.  When I got them, I thought they were really shrill and feared I'd made a mistake in purchasing them.  However, even with the short burn-in period, they have mellowed nicely.  This morning, I was listening to a solo piano album called "Unaccountable Effects" by Liz Story.  The title track was wonderful.  The highs were crystal clear and shimmering.  The effects were truly unaccountable.

As I write this, I am listening to vocals by Emmylou Harris and Matraca Berg.  Very nicely presented.

Edited to add, here is how the signals flow:  Media Center on laptop > FiiO E17 > WOO Audio WA6 with stock tubes > headphones.  Virtually all files are FLAC.

They will continue to get better, Grado' s are noted for taking an extra long time to burn in and reach their full potential. I have had mine for 6 months and can honestly say it has only been in the last month or two that I think they finally settled in and for the record they are by far the best headphone I own at the moment. NO harshness at all in the treble and as you already found out, tons of detail. They actually have a soundstage and imaging now too. All the stuff people complain about goes away (or at least it did with mine) with enough burn-in time and a really good source. I was surprised by how sensitive these phones are to source, while at the same time being quite listenable from an un-amplified source. My advice is don't skimp on your dac or amp with these if you really want to hear what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back