The Grado SR 225i Or Senn 595 (based on my usage and music preferances)
Jul 7, 2009 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, i decided to make a new thread, but hopefully state everything at once.

I'm looking for some open cans because:
a). SQ advantages
b). comfort (heat mainly)

Things i'm concerned about:
a). leakage - disturbing my colleagues would be an issue to me, but then again they all use open eared cans too...
(I'd love to hear from those who own both for comparison on leakage, correct me if i'm wrong, but as i know the grados leak significantly more than the senns...)

The music i listen to:
MuteMath
Dave Mathews band
coldplay
Linkin park
silversun pickups
NIN
Deathcab for cutie
MGMT
blue october
Kings of leon

and similar styles, i have a large library, and i basically listen to whatever genius spits out to me, cause i like pretty much everything on my ipod...

I also plan to get a penguin Caffeine amp, because of reviews i've read here, and also because of the price (and it looks really cool IMO).

My SQ preferences
  1. bass
    - I like accurate bass. By that, i mean, should i be listening to a Bass heavy song, i'd like to hear/feel the bass (as much as possible). But i don't really like scull-jarring thumps with any/every song... also the amp i chose has a bass booster, so i dunno if that should help me with the occasional thump should i feel like it...
    - I listen mainly to alternative rock, so accurate bass is important to me.
    tongue.gif
  2. treble/midrange
    -other than bass i honestly just appreciate a good and even soundstage. (ie. i HATE overwhelming highs and mids, they tend to make my head spin, and i can't figure out if that's an unusual response to such a thing... am i the only one?)

sidenote: i wear glasses, so if one of these pinch for glasses wearers, i'd definitely knock that one down a little bit on my preference scale.

I chose the 595 and the SR 225, based on price range and general brand name. I'd be glad to hear some other options in this range... I'm not really looking to bust the bank on the best gear, i'm really looking for a setup that would last me a while, mainly because i don't think i'd be upgrading to the next level for a while (i don't see my budget going any higher for a few years, basically these are as high as i can possibly go while buying the penguin amp).

Sorry for the long-whinded and repetitive post! I read many other 225 v 595 and the main question from posters were what are you useage and preferences...

I hope this would make it easier to... provide advice (?) !
Thanks!

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 18
The HD595 has a much clearer sound, but Grado is just far better for Rock IMO. It has better speed/PRaT. Plus the SR-225i has more bass.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 18
I've listened to the SR-225 and owned the HD595. From the description of your preferred sound signature, you might have problems with the 225s occasional piercing highs. The 595 for me is a better all rounder but your music preference seems to be rock, and the 225 can give a better presentation of this genre IMHO. Comfort wise, definitely the HD595.

I honestly think that you should try to audition both first before taking the plunge, because they are very different sonically.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the replies.

So far, sounds like the sennheisers have the all-rounded feel and comfort

BUT the Grados have the style that best fits my music preferences...

EDIT: as far as auditioning goes, i can only find access to some 595s

i can't seem to find anywhere that has grados to try. (store, or friends/colleagues, i'm in a summer internship BTW)

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 18
Where do you live dnullify? If you live around Chicago MusicDirect has some SR-60i's for demo and those will give you an idea on whether you'll like the Grado sound or not?

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 18
I love Grado, but I have a feeling you're going to like the HD595 better.

And I greatly dislike Senns, but based on your likes/dislikes for SQ, I think you're going to like the senns better...that and comfort...

Grado is kinda hit-and-miss on comfort...

Nylan

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you live dnullify? If you live around Chicago MusicDirect has some SR-60i's for demo and those will give you an idea on whether you'll like the Grado sound or not?

heh, that'd be a little difficult cause i live in the bay area CA.

I appreciate the offer in any case!

Quote:

I love Grado, but I have a feeling you're going to like the HD595 better.

And I greatly dislike Senns, but based on your likes/dislikes for SQ, I think you're going to like the senns better...that and comfort...

Grado is kinda hit-and-miss on comfort...

Nylan

And that's good to know, as for good listening with less cofort (imo) i've got a pair of super.fi 5 pros, and shure e5cs... these would be for strictly quality at home/ work (only for the summer, fall school starts) listening.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Don't forget, you can always sell whatever you end up buying, if it's not for you. Things move pretty quickly in the FS forum here.

You're not signing a life-long contract, or buying a house...
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget, you can always sell whatever you end up buying, if it's not for you. Things move pretty quickly in the FS forum here.

You're not signing a life-long contract, or buying a house...
wink.gif

that's a good point! i found a place to order grados with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee... sounds good

also, would the penguins be a better choice, because i just now discovered the PA2V2 amp and it's actually cheaper.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 18
I have compared the 2 cans side by side with the same source and music, i find the bass on HD595 is bloated compare to 225i, which sounds a little muff to me and not as transparent.

225i has a more forward sound and HD595 is a little more relaxing, warm and slightly layback.

I would think 225i is brighter than HD595. Maybe it's the source, i find HD595 has a better soundstage.

I don't think 225i is comfortable at all, HD595 is definitely better fit for me.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 18
I should use the word 'boomy' instead, if that helps
wink.gif

But 225i may sound bass-less if you are a basshead

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #13 of 18
Actually i wouldn't compare HD595 with 225i

They are different signature sound to me.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually i wouldn't compare HD595 with 225i

They are different signature sound to me.

so basically you agree that i should try them both... right?

The whole two flavors concept is a little hard to accept sitting in front of the computer screen (as apposed to in front of a aisle in an electronics store filled with headphones... sadly just a dream).

I am going to try the senns today, perhaps it would be "perfect" and i won't feel the need to buy a pair of grados for comparison... i doubt it.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 18
Try both, by all means, but based on your music tastes, I think that the SR-225i will do rather fittingly, with or without an amp. (As Grados are low impedance, you can likely purchase a very affordable amp--CMOY, PA2V2, etc.--later on that will improve them a bit.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back