Mar 3, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Please dont temp me

to SR-225 Woody or to not SR-225 Woody
to RS-1 or to not RS-1

argh!!

Give me lush!

If you want lush then the RS-1's are for you.

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
If you want lush then the RS-1's are for you.

I totally agree! After owning the vaunted HP-1s and the imaculate PS-1s, I can say that Pound for Pound the RS-1s are an outstanding value. I am NOT saying they are better mind you, just a great value for the dollar.
orphsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #34 of 69
think what you all want, but in the last few days I have been playing with the rs-2's alot.

them seem to jell good with the frank sinatra type music (franky,dion,dino,blube). The rs-1's go to far with the color where they can overlap some sounds that you know are in the song, the rs-2's being close to 325's and rs-1's you get a nice warm sound of the rs-1's (with alittle color) and you get the fun of the metal 325's all in one. the bass exten on the rs-2 is not as good of course as the rs-1's but it all depends what your listening to and your setup.

rs-2's should get alittle more respect then they do here cause honestly they are slapping the rs-1's around with the music I mentioned before.

of course I would think something like this cause I really do love the 325 sound, pund for pound its the one single grado in the line up youll get a peice of every other grado. there are small differences between the black,silver,and gold 325's just choosing which is your beast can take some work. the black seem more laid back,silver has alot of fun and highs,the gold has a lushy midrange and is very very smooth in the play back of the music.

ps-1 and rs-1 to me on a sonic and comfort level are at completely different sides of the bar. ps-1 you'll get all the sonics clear and netureal, rs-1 is a great soundstage and imaging but the color can get messy in certain music fast..this means that certain music can actually overlap another sound in a song and you won't hear it at all. I am not talking about hearing alittle but non at all. the rs-1's are darker and have a very warm sound with mostly anything played, the ps-1 is anything you put thru them as far as bass/mid/high.
on a comfort level the ps-1 takes alot of getting used to and you will adjust the cans alot to find a balance of weight distro from your ears to your head. pads are also very inportant on the ps-1 some hear this with this pad some hear that with that pad. while rs-1 and all grados sound different with different pads it is not as upfront as the ps-1 is.
the rs-1 on a comfort level is super light, and the pading is inportant but wont kill you if you have the wrong pads for your liking on.

I think every grado (i almost have them all) has a good place in the market, it just depends on what you want (sonic's) and how much your willing to pay, also comfort is another issue.
the two extreme sounds of grado are the ps-1 and the rs-1, you just have to know which sonic type you want and how much of it is worth its price.
for example if you want the mid's and warmth off the rs-1 but alittle more even and you only have $200.00 then the 225's are for you.

every Grado (JOHN) model has a place here, wether its the sr-40 all the way to the ps-1...

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #35 of 69
I feel that "grado magic" every time i listen to my 225s, they were my first higher end headphone and I love the sound. I want to try other headphones to see if there is a sound out there I like better however, the Grado sound pulls me in so much that the next purchase I'm saving up for is the RS-1, Grado has me tightly and happily in their grip.

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #36 of 69
sant430&emadgin>If you like the 225's then the RS-1's might suit you although not guaranteed. They both sound similar IMO it's just the RS-1's have deeper bass, more bass impact, a midrange which is sweet with a good amp, and the ability to recreate woodwind instruments like no other headphone can (ones that I have heard). Also sooner or later you will reach the limits of the 225's but the RS-1 can improve with every upgrade amp wise you take. Match it with a synergistic amp and you will be taken to the promised lands. Match it wrongly and it either sound too bright or the bass is bloated.

The 225's are a slice of RS-1 sound for very reasonable price when compared to the RS-1's. Buy used if possible.

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #37 of 69
Don't laugh, but under the right conditions (favoring grado of course) it can beat the Qualia.

The setup at the Qualia Store was - the 9000 whatever flagship SACD the qualia store was using, then my magwires ICs, to the Grado RA-1, to the RS-1. We plugged the Qualia into this rig and the RS-1 totally sounded better to all who were there (I won't call you out guys, I'll keep your identities safe).

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

sant430&emadgin>the RS-, a midrange which is sweet with a good amp, and the ability to recreate woodwind instruments like no other headphone can

Yup thats EXACTLY why I ended up with the RS-1s.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #39 of 69
Jahn>There will be a little shootout at the ottawa meet.

Hp-1's or 2's+Melos Sha X
Ear Yoshino HP-4+RS-1
R-10's+Stealth (R-10 optimised_
Stax 007t+Omega 2's
KGSS+O2's or HE90

Or my tip of the week.

PS-1+Melos+flats....yep!

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Jahn>There will be a little shootout at the ottawa meet.

Hp-1's or 2's+Melos Sha X
Ear Yoshino HP-4+RS-1
R-10's+Stealth (R-10 optimised_
Stax 007t+Omega 2's
KGSS+O2's or HE90

Or my tip of the week.

PS-1+Melos+flats....yep!

That R10/Stealth Combo is deadly. So deadly.
The PS-1/Modded Melos will Destroy. Honestly, the bass was overpowering even this basshead, I couldn't handle its magnificence.
The Stax and the HE90 are going to lose to those who like the agressive eye-popping stuff, but win to those who like "real presentation."
Never heard the Ear. Looking forward to impressions.

Overall to my ears I think the R10/Stealth combo will have the "Best of Both Worlds" award, the PS-1/Melos will have the "Terminator" award, and the Stax/HE90 will have the "I'm more sophisticated than you" tie for first.

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #41 of 69
I was already screwed when I dropped some amperex 7308's Mil. spec in to my melos modded. I think I need to go the extra distance and use the PS-1's. After the meet do you wanna me to send the 325i's for you to play with? OR how about the Hp-2's....I know you luve them. Or you can go all the way and I will send you my spare set of PS-1's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #42 of 69
Must Not Accept New Headphones! Thanks for the offer, but AWAY YE TEMPTER!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #43 of 69
It is a serious and genuine offer.....

Oscar Wilde once said "I can resist everything except temptation".

PM me your address and I will send you a little goodie parcel....

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

I was already screwed when I dropped some amperex 7308's Mil. spec in to my melos modded. I think I need to go the extra distance and use the PS-1's. After the meet do you wanna me to send the 325i's for you to play with? OR how about the Hp-2's....I know you luve them. Or you can go all the way and I will send you my spare set of PS-1's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Melos w/ Amperex 7308s + PS-1 = frickin' amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

It is a serious and genuine offer.....

Oscar Wilde once said "I can resist everything except temptation".

PM me your address and I will send you a little goodie parcel....

noooooo! I refuuuussseeee! But seriously, thanks for the offer but I think I better decline - the spirit is willing but the wallet is weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back