The Grado HF-1: An Attempted Unbiased Review
Nov 7, 2005 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Riku540

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got my HF-1 (#348) today, and with people asking for more reviews, I decided to give my first impressions. Note that this is an attempt at an unbiased review, where my goal is to try and analyze this headphone as it is, to allow fellow audiophiles decide for themselves. Though technically it is almost impossible to be completely unbiased, this is my very best attempt for a first and fair review. I hope that my experience will contribute to the community here at Head-Fi.

Experience:
This is my first review. I am a young college audiophile that has only in recent months been able to begin my way into the high-end world. Though I have not had much of the pleasures of hearing many different kinds of high-end audio gear, my ear is trained through experience as a former musician since I was little. I have invested many years in choir, piano, and guitar, and feel confident in my ability to listen professionally.

Equipment:
I have only begun to build my high-end audio rig as of June this year. I have started mostly with entry-level products, namely, portable sources and amps. I currently use a fourth generation iPod Photo lined-out to a Micro cMoy to power my Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pros. I realize that there is still much potential to be realized from my music but this is about all I can afford right now. I plan to be upgrading within the next few months.

Build Quality: 7 out of 10
These headphones are quite light. They are very stylish looking and also feel a bit delicate. It holds together very well, but not the type of headphone you’d want to toss over your shoulder to give your ears a break. The ear cups rotate well and secure. The cables fit nicely and have a little slack which is great for home listening, and does not stress the headphone jack.

Comfort: 7 out of 10
Initially these cans are very gentle. They sit on top of your head and lightly press against your ears. However, over time the slight pressure will become more apparent. This can be solved by bending the headband to loosen the clamping on your head.

Sound: 7.5 out of 10
These headphones are definitely colored. However, the color seems to more top-heavy than anything. As you go down the range of the sound spectrum, the color seems to be less apparent. This is probably what people are calling the Grado’s “bright” sound signature. Depending on your music, this brightness may seem to be a little harsh on your highs, though there are also many times where it suits the music well. The midrange seems to be about right, and the bass has very good response and does well not to roll-off especially when amped. These headphones are very open and are not an ideal listening solution if your objective is to listen without disturbing others. There is no muffling of outside noises with these cans on. You can hear everything as you would normally without any headphones.

My personal impressions and conclusions: (I’ve got to put my biases somewhere…)
The Grado HF-1 has a very good value for the price. The value of these headphones are, and will be higher compared to that of an identical $200 headphone due to its sentimental, limited edition value. This was my first time experiencing the Grado sound. I personally prefer neutral, non-colored sound but the Grado’s do not disappoint me much in this area. There are some songs that demand a neutral sound, and those songs tend to suffer a bit from the coloration of the highs and brightness. However, there are quite a few songs in my music selection that are already embedded with a bright personality, and the HF-1’s do well to acknowledge that and bring it to life. I feel that the sound signature of these phones is strongest with the right music to compliment it. As a final statement, I am satisfied with my purchase of the Grado HF-1, and it has met all of my expectations of it. Truly a fine product of Grado Labs and Todd the Vinyl Junkie.

Overall Score: 7 out of 10

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 31
If I could make a suggestion you might consider the headroom method of numbering.
That is where instead of a 1-10 (in their case 1-5) literal scale for ALL headphones they use the value/quality method so a mid priced 5-star headphone may not be as good as a high end 4-Star but becuse it kicks butt at that price point is considered a top choice deserving the top rating.A can that may be far better but also costs way more than it should would get a 3 or 4 star rating which means only that it is not as good of a value .
Reading your review and seeing the 7 out of 10 rating first (they kinda stand out) before reading your conclusions I was getting the impresssion you were dissatisfied with the purchse and was actually surprised at your final paragraph.

Just me ? Could be Rabbit,could be.....
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 31
I agree with both of you. In other words, it is a 7/10 for Cans of All Time. But in rick's valuation, it is a grand slam 10/10 for the $200 price point.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 31
thanks for your review. my only question is, what do you consider a 10/10 or a 5/10? ratings are subjective, so a 7/10 for you may not translate to a 7/10 for me or someone else. it would be helpful if you gave a baseline or something else to compare the numbers.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 31
Good review but some advice: let them break in. Reviewing cans after a days worth of listen is a little premature. The HF-1 really starts to settle down right about at the 50 hour mark (at least for me, YMMV).

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 31
Heh, pardon my prehistoric grading system. I’m not surprised that my 7’s gave you an initial dissatisfied impression. Since many of you do not yet know me, I tend to be a very hard judge. A 7 on my scale is quite good; meaning that my expectations are met and I was a bit impressed. An 8 would be exceeding my expectations, and a 9 is totally blowing me away. A perfect 10 out of 10 is not a grade I toss around loosely, and is what I consider to be the best representative of perfection. In regards to rickcr’s reply, I grade in comparison to other products in all leagues. I prefer this to comparing other products in the same league which I feel is more of a fine-tuning effort; my goal is to give an overall impression to help others determine how high up the audiophile ladder they want to climb, making it easier for them to narrow things down on their own.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Good review but some advice: let them break in. Reviewing cans after a days worth of listen is a little premature. The HF-1 really starts to settle down right about at the 50 hour mark (at least for me, YMMV).

I am fully aware of burn-in improvements. I plan to revise and add additional impressions once they have settled.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Heh, pardon my prehistoric grading system. I’m not surprised that my 7’s gave you an initial dissatisfied impression. Since many of you do not yet know me, I tend to be a very hard judge. A 7 on my scale is quite good; meaning that my expectations are met and I was a bit impressed.

No reason to get upset.I was only making the point that my first glance at the review said "crap" and then there was a disconnect at the end.
A "7" out of a possible "10" would not satisfy me on any consumer goods no matter what it was being discussed so the impression was for me "don't bother" until I read the final lines where you say you are satisfied with the purchase.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Heh, pardon my prehistoric grading system. I’m not surprised that my 7’s gave you an initial dissatisfied impression. Since many of you do not yet know me, I tend to be a very hard judge. A 7 on my scale is quite good; meaning that my expectations are met and I was a bit impressed. An 8 would be exceeding my expectations, and a 9 is totally blowing me away. A perfect 10 out of 10 is not a grade I toss around loosely, and is what I consider to be the best representative of perfection. In regards to rickcr’s reply, I grade in comparison to other products in all leagues. I prefer this to comparing other products in the same league which I feel is more of a fine-tuning effort; my goal is to give an overall impression to help others determine how high up the audiophile ladder they want to climb, making it easier for them to narrow things down on their own.

I suppose I can understand that. But a 7/10 is like a C. So it would be like the teacher telling johnny "You met all of my expectations, or exceeded them, especially at your grade level (price point). You get a C"

- just a thought

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 31
You have to give Grados a lot of time. It took my SR-80's a year before I was truly pleased with them. They take a lot of time to sound truly "full".

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 31
Try not to put too much emphasis on the number grade. I feel that the most important observations I have made are in the text; otherwise why bother to write anything when I can just post a little scoreboard? I understand your concerns with my grading but this is, and always will be how I grade. It is the only way I feel that I can keep my review honest and keep its integrity in tact. It may be harsh in your popular view, but keep in mind that my words are not saying what the numbers you perceive to be.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1
I suppose I can understand that. But a 7/10 is like a C. So it would be like the teacher telling johnny "You met all of my expectations, or exceeded them, especially at your grade level (price point). You get a C"

- just a thought

Yet, if a politician does 20% of what he promises to do, it's outstanding
redface.gif

- just a thought
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
Yet, if a politician does 20% of what he promises to do, it's outstanding
redface.gif

- just a thought
evil_smiley.gif

Oh wait... not a good point. My analogy works because there is a reviewer (teacher) and a product being reviewed (johnny's paper). The review is based on a very similar scale that one would grade headphones. 10/10 is excellent, 1/10 is very very poor. If Johnny met, or did better then the teachers expectations, then one would assume that he would get a better grade then a C.

Politicians on the other hand are expected to lie and give false expectations... heck, it's their job!

Oh... by the way, in this analogy, Johnny is doing an essay because then the grade would be based on the teachers impression, not on like a math quiz where the answers are more static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back