The goosebumps effect
Mar 6, 2004 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just sitting here listening to Brahms' Fourth Symphony and the damn hairs on my neck won't stay down in the second movement, literally. Brahms seems to do that to me pretty consistently. Beethoven when it's played right. What's your most recent "goosebumps" moment?

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 32
First listen on my 192K upsampling MSB Gold Link to the DVD-A version of Jeruselem by ELP...WOW!!!

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 32
You know, I just applied similar terms on another board when listening to Bartok's String Quartets. Literally sent chills up my spine.

I like the topic you chose for this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 32
Reicha, A. Clarinet Quintet in B Flat Major, Op. 89. Panocha Quartet. Supraphon, CO-73081.

This one's a combination of music, sound, and equipment. I was doing some troubleshooting on a Stax system last night. The Supraphon/Reicha has really great sound with a very clear location for each instrument. I started the disk playing, and ended up just sitting in wonder at what I was hearing.

Hey, I like this thread. It's impossible to really share the goosebump effect because no one else really hears what you do. Glad to be reminded that I'm not the only person who can sit alone in a room and think, "Oh, wow!"

Which version of the Brahms?

BW

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 32
Listening to The Gathering, one track on the Black Light mini-CD, not only did I get goosebumps but when Anneke's voice reached up to its highest octave the hairs on the back of one of my arms stood on end.

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 32
The only version I have at the moment unfortunately, and it's Karajan in 1978, and while I didn't like the way he did the First Symphony a lot, I (obviously) enjoyed the rendition of the Fourth. I haven't had a chance to critically listen to the Second or Third just yet, but I plan to do that sometime soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any recommendations for other versions of the Brahms?

Mar 7, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Any recommendations for other versions of the Brahms?

Now there's an invitation to a flame war
biggrin.gif
Give you a couple that I have and enjoy.

Jochum has come highly recommended--and with reason. Here
Gunter Wand is another Brahmsian I like. Here
I also like the old CBS recording by Bruno Walter.

The links are to budget sets, but the symphonies can be picked up individually. One I would avoid is the Bernstein cycle. It has the distinction of being the slowest traversal in the catalog. One reviewer desicribed it as "Bathetic Brahms."
biggrin.gif

Incidentally, you're studying in Birmingham--England?

BW

Mar 7, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 32
I get that each time I hear Wynton Marsalis play "The Hummel Trumpet Concerto in E Flat major." It can be heard on "A Portrait of Wynton Marsalis."

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 32
Thanks for the recommendations Bill, I'll look out for those. I have no doubt that there are much more riveting interpretations than Karajan's.

Manchester, England.. but close enough? heh.

Mar 7, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 32
Heh, deviating from the trend, I always get the chills when I listen to Gavroche's death scene from Les Misérables.

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 32
most recent:
beethoven: 9th symphony
bayreuth festival orchestra
furtwängler (1955)
not just chills, but i had to go lie down after--monumental, overwhelming experience.

also:
tchaikovsky
capriccio italien
bpo
ozawa
the second brass fanfare caught me off guard--major catharsis.

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 32
Most recent was: Leona Naess: "Comatised" album, "New York Baby" track. Production did a gorgeous job setting up a hybrid electonic/instumental sonic space within which Leona Naess' vocal delivery kept the hairs on the back of my neck on end and goosebumps raised on my skin. Wonderful performance and production! A number of the tracks on this album have this effect on me repeatedly. Highly recommended!

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 32
I get it more from classical than from other genres...I don't know why...I like other genres equally well.

I get it from Brahms' Double Concerto
Certainly from Kodaly's Duo for Violin and Cello,
Bach's Cello Suite -- the prelude to the 5th, but especially from the Sarabande of the 6th...it has such a sense of longing.
Samuel Barber's Adagio from his string quartet will definitely give you goosebumps.
Bartok's 4th quartet...Shostakovich's 8th...
chris whitley's Loco girl...
that's what I can think of right now. It is a great feeling, and something I look for in great music.

Mar 8, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 32
Sheila Chandra - Sacred Stones, Nana, Lagan Love/Nada Brahma
Rhea's Obsession - Waves on re:initiation
Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares - Svatba
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
Collide - Halo
Enya - How Can I Keep From Singing
Delerium/Medieval Babes - Aria
Delerium/?? - Lamentation
David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir - Forgather in the Name

I should come up with a few more and go make a mix CD off this list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back