The GO! Team: Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Feb 14, 2006 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nomad

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm listening this album at the moment and I felt I should post about them. One of the most pleasant surprises from last year, almost on pair with Funeral from The Arcade Fire.

Very special music indeed. I can't say original as The Avalanches were doing something very similar a few years ago, but still...

Highly recommended. Looking forward to see them live on a concert next week!

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 7
I agree -- this is a really compelling album. For those who don't know what it entails, think of a baseline of sampled 70s action music and easy-listening scores, jazzed-up with percussion and break-beats, laced with Burt-Bacharat balladic harmonicas and topped with female vocalised rap and cheer-leading -- all with low-fi production so it sounds like something evocative and steamy emitting from a portable radio tuned to AM on the city streets during a July heatwave. Distillation of urban summer. Not perfect but very compelling.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 7
I didn't write much about the sound (Apart from the link to The Avalanches) because I thought it would be almost impossible to describe with accuracy the music. You just did it perfectly well. Really.

The only thing I don't like much is that low-fi sound (on purpose) that makes the sound sooooo thin on a revealing setup. I'm not able to get rid at 100% of that thin sound even with the EMP with lush tubes and the L3000. I can't think of a thicker combo than that
eek.gif

BTW, if you like them, I'd suggest to have a listen to "The Avalanches". The closest thing to both things (being a tad different, though) would be TooManyDJs, that I had the luck to see live on this New Years Eve Party in London.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
One of the most pleasant surprises from last year, almost on pair with Funeral from The Arcade Fire.

Eek!

The Go Team album is good, but man is it *bright*. Treble overload!

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 7
I liked this album. It reminded me of DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" or Greyboy's "Shades of Grey". Don't know how apt those comparisons are, but that's what it brought to my mind.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
The only thing I don't like much is that low-fi sound (on purpose) that makes the sound sooooo thin on a revealing setup. I'm not able to get rid at 100% of that thin sound even with the EMP with lush tubes and the L3000. I can't think of a thicker combo than that
eek.gif

I always wondered if that was intentional or not. Gives it a very 'live' feel. On a side note, does this album come only on vinyl? I intended on getting the CD as well, but could not find it.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 7
The GO! Team on eMusic has a really unlistenable rip - it's really unfortunate, I refused to download any tracks from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back